1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Of Astronomers and Astronauts - T - Jurassic Park

Discussion in 'Television and Movies' started by Akeldama, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Akeldama

Akeldama Muggle

High Score:
    Title: Of Astronomers and Astronauts
    Author: Sparked To Life
    Rating: T
    Genre: Angst/Adventure
    Library Category: -
    Pairings: -
    Summary: After Isla Sorna, Eric's life was never the same. He changes his name and disappears after deciding that he's had enough of being the famous Eric Kirby... And he becomes Owen Grady instead. Or: where Eric Kirby decides to get away from his dinosaur filled past, and semi-accidentally ends up the alpha of a velociraptor pack instead. Because he was always an astronaut.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11708056/1/Of-Astronomers-and-Astronauts

I was really surprised not to see this here! Its an archive-worthy story!

For one, it fills in all of the blanks in the third Jurassic Park movie creatively. Whenever I watched that movie I always wondered how in the hell the Kirby boy survived. This gives you all those details in a succinctly interesting way by expanding on the characters personalities and motivations while still keeping to the canon world's adventurously dangerous events.

For another, the angst in the writing is thoroughly psychological. The author explains events and behaviors in a way that holds onto your attention. Every part of the third movie is looked at from a different angle, giving an understanding that wasn't there in the movie. It makes the whole thing new and interesting.

Of course, this story is still expanding. The author is taking Eric/Owen to Jurassic World and presenting a unique perspective on the park. The author has taken small liberties which is changing things in ways that are anticipated but yet not quite. Everything is just a hair off from the original and it makes it more interesting.

I thoroughly enjoyed this piece and honestly can't wait to see where the author will take this story. The only complaint I have is the occasional typo. But otherwise I'd give this fic a 4.5/5!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Anyone other than Akeldama read this and willing to comment?

3. magglez

magglez First Year

I enjoyed the story too. The third movie was always my favorite, and Eric Kirby was my hero as a kid. The transition from Eric to Owen was well done and emotionally evocative. I don't really know what to say about this story besides if you like Jurassic Park, give it a shot. One of the better fics I've read in some time. 5/5