1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Of Snow And Stars - A (Possible) ASOIAF Quest

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Probellum, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

@VanRopen: Again, from Canon!Jon, I can't see him caring to be a Dayne. But that doesn't really hold for a fanfiction/Quest Jon who's personality is shaped by the choices players make.

As far as Inheritance goes, I ain't got no fucking clue. Seems all kinds of messed up to me. Not in the "Oh that's horrible' kind of way, but the "That's fucking confusing' way.

And yeah, Randyll Tarly is an asshole.

2. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

Perhaps because Tarly isn't Ned Stark, Warden of the North and best friend of Robert?

Powerful people generally have the power to do whatever they want. Tywin's always going on about Tyrion never inheriting, even if he'd be the rightful heir.

3. Eyron

Eyron Seventh Year

Legitimized bastards are always last in line for a House, regardless of age (this is my opinion)
    What I would prefer is Jon creating a brand NEW House, like in Dragon of the a North Quest.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Customs
    Scroll down a bit for all the info about succession laws and patterns.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  4. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

And yet, not once did Tywin actually disinherit Tyrion, which he could have easily done.

It just seems very strange that you can alter the line of succession like that - it sets precedent that nobles don't want.

5. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I don't think Jon would ever be legitimized, as long as there are trueborn Starks and Daynes. The only instance (to my knowledge) of a bastard being legitimized is Ramsay, who only became a Bolton because there was no heir (and is still called a bastard somewhat frequently, if not to his face).

Jon's better off becoming a Snow[insert generic ending of house name] or whatever name he'd be interested in taking once he becomes a knight.

6. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

From the link you posted, xP

So basically, we don't know either way. It probably isn't codified anyways, leaving the wiggle room poorly defined succession "law" is known for anyways.

7. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

My questions about Legitimization are really only so I'm prepared if it comes up. It may well not.

It's really up to you guys, the Players. If you want to found a new house, or get legitimized, or go around murdering everyone till you're the only one who can inherit, that's your choice.

Ugh, rereading is a pain in the ass. I got 200 pages red yesterday, but it's going twice as slow today. I've only got 50 pages read today, where by now I should have 100.

Hrmm...I've never really watched the show. I know there are few things different, but is the characterization pretty much the same? Are the events close enough to the books, that it can serve as a refresher, if I use the Wiki for anything else?

I get the feeling watching the show would be quicker than rereading all 5 books, but I will reread them if I need to.

What do you guy's think?

8. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I'd have a go at that if only to spite Catelyn, but I know I'd get outvoted. And there is the matter that I actually like Arya, spunky little tyke that she is.

I don't think they deviate from characterization much in season 1. The rest however... things start shifting around. Stick to the books, they provide a greater amount of detail, and I'd rather wait a few extra weeks or an extra month for a better quest than a shoddily one made on the bones and soot that is D&D's vision of ASOIAF.

9. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

The show would probably be faster. I would suggest that you have the ASOIAF wiki open when you write and double check everything. It's what I'm doing for my Dragon Age quest, because even if I know the games very well, as GM little things turn up lore-wise that you never think about otherwise. Which makes the wiki a godsend. ;)

10. MyrzaelHanzo

MyrzaelHanzo First Year

But aren´t there in fact no Daynes from the main line aside from Edric ? According to wiki, there is just Allyria (who is soon to become Dondarion). If Edric does not want his titles to go to Daynes of High Hermitage (Darkstar) and Jon is his friend then in my opinion, it would not be that unreasonable to legitimize Jon and make him Edric´s heir until birth of Edric´s own children.

11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Speaking of Darkstar, I'm pretty sure he'd be feeling mighty rumpled about Jon getting the designated heir spot, so much that he might even decide to do something about it.

12. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

The solution is clear. Marry her.
    /justincestthings

Quoted for fucking justice. We can wait, there is no rush.

D&D's Cersei alone would ruin the quest.

13. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

Could anyone provide me with a link or an explanation what this "Quest" thing is and how it works? I'd appreciate that very much.

14. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Here's a list of good quests, with a brief description.

Think like an old-school rpg, or Dungeons and Dragons. A Gamemaster (or GM) writes up your initial situation (you are the son of Ned Stark and Ashara Dayne, you are Peter Parker, etc) and then gives the community the options on how the story will continue.

Thus, it becomes about playing a character while the GM writes out the scenarios (but also adding conflict). So you may decide that it's a good idea to go to a tourney, and meet some powerful allies, but maybe your mentor and most of your close allies will die in a skirmish while you were away.(damn you Hash :| )

15. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

It's a bit like those "choose your own story" bits. The GM is the author and writes the updates for the story. He gives you choices at the end of each update which you can choose and thus influence the story in a different direction. Usually, a choice needs a majority of votes to win and be implemented. Depending on the system the quest is running on, there may be dice rolls involved to give everything an element of chance.

Edit: Ninja'd. :p

16. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

@Nerox: A Quest is like a Choose your own adventure story, mixed with an RPG. Hashasheen's Dragon of The North and Roarian's Stark Transcendent are both good examples.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

It seems I shall have to continue rereading, then. I'll still supplement with the wiki, of course, but I guess I'll check back in when I've reread the first 2-3 books, see if people are fine with starting with that. If that's what we go with, I'll continue rereading, it'll jut be slowed down, to deal with running the Quest.

17. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

Also, some quests are more narrative - they're really about story telling - while others are more like games, with stats, combat decided via tactics/dice, skill checks and the like.

18. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

I think we need an Arya quest. :D

Perhaps Arya with Faceless Man skills ends up in her own body at the beginning of GoT and the goal of the quest is to murder the heck out of the Stark's enemies? :D The more creative the way, the more pleased her god and the better the outcome for the Starks?:)

...damn. Now I'm angry that I don't have the time to GM that. :mad:

19. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Bellum, why are you posting instead of reading? And you don't need more than a day per book, really :D

Sounds good. In.

20. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

I'm honestly not that fast of a reader. Also, the book seems to be fighting me today. I decided to take it easy and finish it up tomorrow. Then on to the next book >.>

And since that's going lowly, I decided to at least think a bit more on how I'm gonna start all this off. As far as Character creation/Development goes, I'm thinking this:

Part 1, years 0-4
    Part 2, years 4-8
    Interlude for Robert's Visit and the offer to Squire
    Part 3 will be split into 4 smaller parts, consisting of your choices for each year. You'll pick what you focus your training on, what you do in your free time.

For part three I'm also considering having a kind Random Event Roll, where you roll a die, and depending on what it lands, you might get a Random Event, which you can choose how you deal with. That can be good or bad.

After Part 3d, increments of time become smaller and you should be 12.

Does that sound good?