1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Of Snow And Stars - A (Possible) ASOIAF Quest

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Probellum, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Eyron

Eyron Seventh Year

A dance of dragons was a bitch to get through. Ffs. Dany is one annoying pov for me. I know she's a young girl and all but some of the shit she does is pretty dumb.

Also I will never forget the "the more she drank she shat" thing lol

2. Audeamus

Audeamus Sixth Year

Are the 0-4 really necessary? I can't imagine there being a whole lot of actual character creation taking place when Jon barely understands what's going on around him. Could make an interlude from someone's perspective instead and sneak in a few options rather? Reading from an infant's PoV doesn't sound all that appealing :p

3. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

I planned on making Part 1 fairly short. I'm not sure how I'll go about, but I did consider the Alternate PoV, thing.

4. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Debated with actually posting this, but then realized I dislike it when I'm expecting an update or something from someone and the thing get' delayed w/o any word on the part of the author. It's understandable when it happens, of course, but still kind of frustrating.

In comparison, might be kind of stupid for something that's not even out/up and running yet, but still.

Anyway, the Quest will probably start up a bit later than I originally made it sound. I kind of underestimated how tedious the rereading would be. Plus, I completely forgot about some IRL stuff. My Picture ID finally came in the mail, so I can finally take my GED. Once that happens, I'll probably look for a job to hold me over until I go to college. The job'll further cut into my time during the day, compared to all the free time I have now. Not to mention, at some point I need to get my wisdom teeth pulled...

So yeah, rereading ASOIAF to be able to start this Quest up will take longer than I expected. I have decided I'll only be reading the first 3 books before I start the Quest though, so hopefully it even outs? After that, I'll continue rereading while GMing the Quest.

Oh, and I've gotten into CK2, since a few Quests seem to take some stuff from it. That's taken some time up too. I'm using the AGOT mod though, so it totally counts as more research! Right? Right?!

Hopefully this shit will be up by the end of September, but I can't guarantee anything. Just figured you guy would like to know, rather than be left hanging and figuring I gave up on it.

5. Eyron

Eyron Seventh Year

Just take your time man. No worries lol, it's a hobby not a job or obligation.
    Good luck with your GED and job, and college.

6. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Of course it does. Did you pick an existing dynasty character or did you create your own?

7. Jeopardizer

Jeopardizer First Year

And now Jon has to become a Dayne just for the chance to self-defense Darkstar in the throat.

I think the order of inheritance is supposed to go fully legitimate children > legitimized batards > brothers (>>> bastards). Much like IRL it probably has a lot of wiggle room, differing customs depending on region and situational fuckery.

Like, Daemon Blackfyre had been legitimized, but his claim really came from being 100% targ with Blackfyre while the true heirs were half-dornish iirc. If Hoster and Edmure die before Edmure has a kid, Riverrun and the LP of the Riverland might go to Brynden or to Robb (or one of his brothers) or even to Catelyn depending on wich succession law you use. Jon as a Stark might not come before Robb even if he is older (tho it could create some worries for Catelyn).

Also, will Catelyn be a bit less bitchy about Jon? In the books Jon is a constant and in-your-face reminder that Ned strayed from his vows and betrayed her, here Jon was conceived while Catelyn was still betrothed to Brandon. While having Ned's first kid with the woman he loved and would have married if not for a mad king might not be ideal, plenty of step-mothers manage to not make their step-son's live a living hell.

8. Himuradono

Himuradono Professor

If he gets legitimized then I'd hazard a guess she's going to be mighty angry with Ned, Robert and the whole damn world but above all she'll blame Jon for having the poor grace of surviving past infancy.

She'll also see his legitimization as proof of Ned's love for Ashara.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  9. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

I went with Rickard Stark. Apparently, if Rickard had become best bud with Aerys, he would have have kept his insanity levels down to just making everybody call him 'Wildfire.'

Betrothed Lyanna to Rhaegar, Brandon to Catelyn, (Because a much a I dislike, ties to the Lord Paramount title of of the Riverlands is useful) Ned to Ashara because why not? And Benjen went off to under Brynden Tully.

Honestly, the weird thing is that at some point, Tywin offered to betroth Cersei to Benjen. Which...I actually debated with. On one hand, crazy bitch. On the other, possible future claim to Casterly rock.

Ultimately decided against it and started improving relations with Doran. Now I've got a betrothal set-up for Benjen with Elia.
    Eh, that might have helped out a bit, but she would still have hated him. Ned keeping him in Winterfell can be seen as insult by a lot of people. And she's still see it as him having loved another woman and that'd niggle at her. Plus, despite it being it bein obviou, Ned stll refuse to say who his mother is, though it's mostly out of grief rather than to protect Jon as he'd need to if this was R+L=J.

The fact that he'd see it as him grieving another woman for all these year would just bring up another set of problems.

Really, the whole thing with her seeing him a a reminder that Ned broke his vows is a bit of an excuse to hate him. Or at least, only one small reason when she ha plenty of others.

10. nath1607

nath1607 Groundskeeper

You could have Ned and Robert sympathize with each other as both of their loves died and they still grieve them.

11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Now, why would you do that? The trick is to kidnap Rhaegar and flay him. Oh wait, you're playing as Stark. Disregard that.

I played as Rickard Stark once, but I made sure to kill Lyanna, Brandon, Ned and Benjen. That whole generation seemed prone to fucking up horrendously. Best to start anew.

Hah, in another game where I played as Ned, I got the same offer, Cersei for Benjen - since Robert already married Rhaelia Targaryen, Aerys' widow - which I accepted and the crazy bitch kept inviting me to plots to kill Benjen.

12. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

*Snrk* Good thing I went with Elia, then! But yeah, things seem to actually be kind of...peaceful. Only real possible upset is that I think Tywin is on the verge of rebellion against Aerys, because he's basically been snubbed by everyone! XD

EDIT: In other news, I'm about done with Book 1. There a couple day I didn't read anything, but I'm fairly sure I can commit myself to reading 100 pages a day for Books 2 and 3, even with all the other hectic stuff.

I've also done more work on a Random Event table for first four years in King's Landing. There are a couple that can end up going bad, but most are fairly good for you, being an event that switches up the story a bit, or just leads to gaining a trait or a small boost to a skill or relationship.

Some might turn into a small 'mini arc' for the year. Others are just a small encounter.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  13. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

CK2? I'm intensely curious as to what you guys are talking about. I'd google, but I'm on my phone and it's being finicky right now.

14. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Crusader Kings 2 is a strategy game (which I have never found the patience to learn) with a mod allowing for playing out ASoIaF scenarios, such as wars and such.

15. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Basically what Xantam already said, though it's not exactly the common kind of a strategy game. Some might call it grand strategy, but if it is as such, it's the babby-tier of GS, since it's fairly less complex than the other GS games that Paradox churns out regularly.

The main thing is your dynasty as a character, whether you choose an existing noble or create one for yourself through the game's own designer, with a set of traits, weaknesses and stats of his own. You can easily pick to be one of the minor nobles of the realm, or you can start from the very top if that's your choosing. I suppose the most important matter to keep an eye on when you're at the very top is the intrigue tab, i.e. the plots and schemes that may or may not involve you and your extended family.

I've posted a few of my own experiences of the game, playing as various people, in that Everything Else Videogames Thread:

Roose Bolton
    Eddard Stark
    Robb/Jon Stark

This might be something you enjoy. Now, note, these 3 games aren't the rule, but rather the exception. I've played often enough without getting so much interesting stuff going on and just quit the game before my heirs could inherit. It's really down to the whims of fate and what you yourself want/expect from the game.

16. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

One question.
    Why are you posting those in Everything Else Videogames, when we have a CK2 thread, where I would have seen the stories?

I think my last game was playing Daynes in Starfall, where I joined Robert's rebellion just because, and got the Sword of the Morning killed instantly by the Mad King due to my treason.

17. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Because I probably didn't see, at the time, the thread. On what page is it?

18. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Ah, it sank down to page three. The last posts seem to be around the India update.

19. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

/throw hands in the air

So, another bit of a delay, which I expect to last about a week. My grandpa recently injured his back and I'm only just now hearing about it. Now, my grandpa is probably my favorite family member. He and my grandma helped raise me when I as little when my mother was working nights at walmart and my dad was in prison and he lived right next to us. When I was holed up in the hospital w/ cancer and then my comas we'd watch a bunch of movies to pass the time.

So I feel kind of obligated, because I haven't hung out with him as much as I used to the last year or so, to visit while he's stuck on the couch trying to figure out what's wrong with his back and movie binge.

I'll try and get some reading in, but it'll probably be even slower than it otherwise would.

---------- Post automerged 08-07-2014 at 04:46 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-06-2014 at 02:16 PM ----------

EDIT: Quest Idea Moved to here.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  20. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

What if our Jon is the latest incarnation of the Nameless One that simply shifted realities when the Blood War was ended?

Sure, we won't clutter the other threads as much with non-thread related posts.