1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Anime

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Orm Embar, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    God, I hate K-On! so much. It's over, right?

This new season is actually looking pretty good.

Bakuman - I was uninterested until they threw in the goal at the end of the episode, and now I'm looking forward to seeing how this will go. The main character reminds me of myself, uncomfortably so.

Samurai Girls - Fanservice. Just lots of fanservice.

Ironman - Haha, oh wow. I'm honestly not sure what to make of this show. It doesn't seem horrible, but I've never really followed Ironman before so I could be missing somethng.

My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute - Seemed fun to me. Can't say much else until later.

Star Driver: Most FABULOUS show of the season.

Yosuga no Sora: Oh dear, twincest. The whole show has a pretty melancholy tone, and the beginning wasn't great (Every girl noticing the main character and going fanfirl because of childhood friendships). It feels like there could be something really interesting underneath the generic harem comedy, though. Also, I was really unprepared for the masturbation scenes.

Unlimited Blade Works wasn't good. It wasn't bad, but it really was not good. If I hadn't have read the VN, I would've loathed the movie. It was incredibly rushed and confusing at times. The fight scenes were cool, at least.

OH, ALMOST FORGOT. Panty and Stocking is terrible. Absolutely terrible. And everyone's going to be drooling over it for the rest of this season.

2. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

The only show that I will follow weekly will be the Super Robot Wars anime. I'll probably watch Star Driver and Ironman once they have finished airing.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is available subbed on Hulu in decent quality. I think they have the original FMA anime as well, though I did not like that one as much.

The new one might be my favorite anime to date, though granted I have not seen very many compared to most of you (a consequence of being on a poor internet connection until recently). I'm not quite done with it (on ep. 40 of 61 or so), but so far it's been good.

The few of you who haven't checked it out already might enjoy it.

4. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

Recently watched "Kaze no Stigma": Nothing to write home about, but if you want to ever see a super!protagonist this one is enough to pass some time. The guy is practically a Gary Stu, if that is the term for it. Anyways, if you're as bored as I was for the past half a day, it'll pass time. I found the mechanics of their magic system pretty solid, as in it's consistent within itself most of the time and with some thought could really develop into awesome. The animations aren't all that good, not bad either, just not as good as some of the more popular series. And whatever you do, don't watch the dubbed version, it's actually painful.

TL;DR version: "Kaze no stigma" - 24 episodes that won't make you want your time back, but aren't anything to praise and just might alleviate a bit of boredom. Also, do NOT watch the dub, you will regret it. It needed to be reiterated.

5. Pomegranate

Pomegranate Second Year

I watched FMA Brotherhood and loved it (the animation was so good!), but I haven't seen the original yet. How is the original FMA?

6. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

The original is a lot more gritty. Generally, there's more detail in the artwork, more gore, and the plot is darker. Brotherhood was made so that FMA could be accessed and appreciated by a wider audience so everything was made softer and happier. Not by much really, but notably so.

It's not at all a happy show, and I might even call it a tragedy. But it's still one of the best damn animes out there. Plus it has a movie.

Also, Brotherhood was made to follow the manga, whereas the original started out roughly the same then went wild.

7. Ched

Yeah, from what I hear the first half of the original FMA (which followed the manga but expanded on it) was spectacular -- I'll be checking it out this week.

The second half of the original FMA, where they started to deviate a lot from the manga, went downhill as far as the plot and character development but kept up quality elsewhere. (This is what I have been told/read)

I read through the fullmetal wiki summary of the 2003 anime and ... well, I don't think I like how it ends nearly as much, but I can't say for sure til I've seen it.

I think the main reason that I like FMA so much is that the protagonist isn't a stereotype like most of them are.

Many anime/manga protagonists are overly bad at something or some fault is magnified to a ridiculous extent, to the point where I am usually knocked out of my suspension of disbelief. Like how Naruto is so damn stupid about some things. Same with Goku.

Ed at least seems like a nice mix of being stubborn and brilliant, defensive but accepting of his faults, serious and laid back, etc.

The support cast is similar -- they all have some trait that stands out, but for the most part they just feel fleshed out, like whole characters instead of caricatures.

/end rant.

So far this is the only manga or anime I've read or watched that I would actually recommend to someone who isn't already into this stuff.

Edit: 1000th post apparently

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  8. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I take it you've never read or watched Trigun or Cowboy Bebop, then. Seriously.

Yeah, I know... Everyone points that one out and people always go apeshit over not choosing something original and shit. But seriously, its just epic on all levels. Both are surprisingly good mixes of Action and Character driven shit. :eek: Something for everyone, and a perfect gateway into other, weirder shit.

Just make sure you leave the tentacle rape, poop eating pedomonster episodes for the third of fourth series. D:

9. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wonder if Gintama has been recommended. 200 or so episodes, finished. Shônen, but with a mature look, with humour and deep stuff too. Kinda manly and awesome at times, too. It's worth checking out, at least.

10. Ched

I watched Trigun and thought it was good but not great. Definitely a better overall story than most but I never felt much connection to any of the characters, even if they were good characters that avoided the cliches of most popular anime (and they were).

I have not seen Cowboy Bebop properly. I saw 1-2 episodes somewhere in the middle, so you have a point with that one.

It is now next on my list.

11. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Gintama is my all time favorite anime. It's a must watch imo.

Funny as shit, but can be very serious and sad at times. A lot of episodes had me laughing to the point of tears, while a select few simply had me in tears.

12. Potterondrugs

Potterondrugs Seventh Year

1.Gankutsuou- Which is an anime series losley based on The Count of Monte Cristo, and since I loved both the book and the movie I had high expectations for the anime. It has a unique visual representation but the story line was amazing as was the character development.

2.GetBackers

3.RahXephon

Along with all the other good stuff that has already been mentioned

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  13. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

So, I figured that it's been long enough for me to comment on the this seasons anime lineup. There's only about five or so that I've bothered keeping up with, as the others just didn't interest me.

Ore No Imouto. (There's No Way My Sister Can be This Cute)

This show is just charming as hell. I can't imagine watching the whole series in one sitting like I have others, but I eagerly await the new episode every week. I've only read the first 3 issues of the manga, so I can't really comment on the latest episodes, but it seems to have stayed fairly close to the source material.

All in all, the show is a solid 7.5/10 in my books. The brother/sister dynamic is interesting while light-hearted (Episode 5 was particularly good, as we get a glimpse of how Kirino felt about their previous coldness to each other). And, while I am by no means an expert, I really like the art style.

MM!

I really shouldn't like this show, but I do. It's pretty much the opposite of what I'd usually watch. There's just something about the characters; they're not exactly well rounded, but they're all interesting in their own way. Even with all of the shows ridiculous crap I find myself coming back every week, even though I know the series will probably end disappointingly, with Taro not making a choice between the two girls.

Oh well, such is the nature of rom-com anime. 6/10

Oh, one last thing. I find it hilarious how little chance this show would have in North America. The show is about a guy with a fetish, so he is labeled 'Not Normal.' And in the episode where he is hypnotized into being gay they ask him why he 'Can't just be normal for once.'

Shit would not fly in NA.

Yosuga No Sora

Really not that great. As was said, the story is basically just a harem-drama, with every girl noticing how cute/awesome/nice the main character is. It does get points for it's episode format, since it has less 'filler' beginning episodes for each girl.

But, most importantly, the show is airing with explicit nude scenes, which means it's not all bad. 5/10

Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls

Pure crap. The only reason you would every watch this show is for the tits, so I'd wait until the DVDs come out for uncensored goodness.

Hell, if you're gonna watch a show like this then just stick with Seikon no Qwaser. Kissing tits for power > Kissing lips for power. 3/10

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai

I actually didn't give this show a chance at the the start of the season and then decided to give it a try yesterday. Watched all every currently available episodes in one sitting. At a glance, it seems like your usual generic crap comedy, but for me it was all about execution that made this show pretty good.

For example, the scene where Elsee blows up his kitchen after cleaning it. That type of scene has been done a billion times before in other shows, but the execution of it in this one was what set it apart.

I like that the show can still give off a Death Note like vibe with his plans to Conquer girls, and still be light enough to get a few good laughs out of me every episode. 7/10

Koe de Oshigoto!

A challenger appears!

This show actually just aired on the 17th I believe, and whoa. Can't really say much about it so far, but the ecchi is damn good at least. Most hentai are less erotic then this show.

Won't rate until there's more, but I thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention.

Anyway, what do you guys think of this season so far? Any awesome shows that I've missed?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  14. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

I'm following MM, Ore no Imouto, and Arakawa Bridge x Bridge for this season. Nothing else has really caught my attention, but you never know; sometimes I'll watch an episode of an anime I think will suck, but I'll actually like it and start watching it.

15. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I watched a few episodes of MM. At first it was funny but it got repetitive soon. The main character gets beaten by a girl until he orgasms. The 'plot' just tries to create some reasons to beat him up.

Of the series mentioned above I only follow Ore no Imouto.

Not mentioned yet:

Shinrei Tantei Yakumo

A series about a student who is able to see and talk with ghosts and helps a special police department in investigating strange cases. The plot of the first two episodes isn't that great, as they are primarily used to introduce the cast. Beginning with the third episode the plot starts to evolve.

It's some kind of mystery and ghost story, though the ghosts are merely staffage for the main character. Compared with nowadays series the animation isn't brilliant, but quite ok.

Togainu no Chi

A fight anime taking place in a post apocalyptic Tokyo. Akira, champion of a street fight tourney, is forced to participate in a tournament organised by a drug lord. His task is to eventually kill the drug lord.

I started to watch this because of its summary, but within the first four episodes it got a heavy slashy undertone - and then I realised it was adapted from a yaoi manga. Then I stopped. Animation is average, i.e. close up of someone walking through a puddle of blood and its surface doesn't change, or faces don't show any emotions, just the lips are moving, etc.

Fortune Arterial

The student Hasekura Kouhei enrolls at a boarding school on a small island. Soon he noticed the President of the student council sucking blood from a fellow student. Later he learns the President and his sister are vampires.

Eh - I thought it was some kind of vampire story, but it's just an average high school romance with a minor (micro) twist. Nothing spectacular and plain boring.

In addition I still intend to try out Bakuman.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  16. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

I bailed from these shows pretty early on, and I'm not surprised that they didn't get any better. Didn't know that Togainu was yaoi, but it doesn't surprise me; it was pretty damn gay.

Badum-tsh :facepalm

Anyway, I've been trying to watch Bakuman. I tend to watch five minutes of an episode and then tab to something else. I'll finish the damn thing eventually.

I was actually really liking this series. Watched up to episode... 4? I think. I'll have to check out the rest of the episodes.

17. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You might want to go with the manga version of Bakuman, apparently it's better.

Fortune Arterial seemed like it was going to be good, at first, but it devolved into generic romance pretty quickly. It's basically Twilight for guys, and just as bad.

Yosuga no Sora is generic romance, but supposedly the twincest arc is going to start soon. I'm at least going to watch that.

Star Driver is still Fabulous, and I'm enjoying the whole series.

I was really looking forward to To Aru Majutsu no Index, but I find myself completely disinterested in it.

The World God Only Knows is very fun, but there's really no difference between it and the manga version. There's really nothing the anime can do that the manga can't.

18. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

Am I the only one watching Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector? This season hasn't had anything I've been watching besides it, I may give Star Driver a try once it's finished though. As for next season, I'll probably only watch Mazinkaiser SKL.

19. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I didn't like Star Driver. The characters are flat, and the 'Pretty Boy' appearance and the lack of plot connecting the mecha-scenes were annoying.

20. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

So the mecha scenes don't make up for the non-mecha scenes I take it?