1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Books

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Marguerida, Apr 5, 2005.

1. SoulesS

SoulesS First Year

Yeah, I'm reading this right now and is very good so far (chapter 42, 1st book).

Give it a try.

Until next time...

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

lol read that too, forgot aabout it, good series.
    but the plot never really changed different sort of events but i didn't think there was much variety between the books.

3. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter)
    by Laurell K. Hamilton
    is the first book, theres a whole series, i only read the first... it was alright

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hey if you wnat to telll me what these stories are about thats cool too you know.

5. DGD

DGD Headmaster

It's OK. I'm on the Fourth book(around half-way through). It gets repetitive after a while. Overall, Read it on a weekend that you have nothing to do and keep on reading, Because if you put these books down there hard to pick back up again.

6. SoulesS

SoulesS First Year

Yeah you are right, I put down in chapter 4, 2nd Book and now its hard to make myself read the rest -_-!

7. Allowaycar

Allowaycar Second Year

I was looking around and came across this topic and was honestly stumped. No one here has recommended The Dresdan Files, by Jim Butcher? WTF GUYS!!!!!!

I got into The Dresdan Files by someone telling me it was like an adult badass Harry Potter.

The author is superb, I can't really say anything bad about him. And he keeps the books so interesting, AND in one point of view, which I love. (not like Robert Jordan's WoT who jumps alot) He has some other books too, called Codex Alera, and they are good too.

The Dresdan Files are just a great book. And the guy is a wise ass nice guy, but will fuck you up if you cross him. For example, in one of the books there is a guy who is possessed/works for a demon. So the guy is exorcised the vows vengeance. Dresdan lets his "holy warrior" friend leave the room, then shuts the door. He then picks up a bat and proceeds to break almost every bone in the guys body, but he doesn't kill him, he leaves him there to suffer.

Seriously, I highly, HIGHLY, recommend reading this book. But I must warn you, be prepared to just purchase them all, cause once you read the first you just have to have more.

Here are some reviews:

8. Allowaycar

Allowaycar Second Year

I wrote a nice long post on a different topic concernign a great book. Go here,Need to find some good books to read, and check it out. Seriously, check out The Dresdan Files, I promise you wont be disappointed.

Wheel of Time isn't that long. I can usually do one of his books in a little over a day. The first 4 or 5 where amazing, truly great, then it kinda fades a little bit. But the newest one, Knife of Dreams, really pulls it all back together. And in Knife of Dreams its so well written that I don't even mind the constant jumping of PoV.

Sword of Truth, first 4 were great, after that it kinda faded also. Still, I've read them.

David Eddings is a great author. Read the BelGariad and Mallorean of his. Also read the stand alone book on Belgareth.

The Myth series by Robert Aspirin is really good.

Codex Alera, by Jim Butcher (same guy who does The Dresdan Files) are good books. Only two books so far.

R.A. Slavatore is a good author, but I picked up the third installment of the lone drow series, and I haven't even been able to finish it. His style and skill has really gone downhill since the old days of such greats as The Highwayman, .........that series with Dragon King and Luthens Gamble, and who can forget The Cleric Quintet.

9. UnholyWarlord

UnholyWarlord Fourth Year

The Great Icy wasteland that is known as Canada
    I would say Dante's Inferno, lots of Blood and guts. Red Dragon

10. Hpsleuth11

Hpsleuth11 Guest

Need a good Fantasy book

I know this topic has come up alot but i need some advie. I've read Eragon and its sequel, Lotr trilogy, and the harry potter books, and I'm looking for something similar to quench my thirst. I've heard a game of thrones, the wheel of time series, and sword of truth series come up alot but ive also gotten some bad reviews on them. And also im not looking for such a long series.
    Does anyone know any good fantasy books similar to Lotr and eragon? In which magic plays a large role, aswell as dwarves elves and dragons.

11. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Well, I would really recommend you read Wheel of Time, but it's understandable if you don't want to read such a long series. It's really good though, no matter what all the idiotic reviewers say. Have you tried the Shannara books? I forgot the author, Terry something I think. Hmm, have you read the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov? Really good, the main part of the series is a trilogy, with two prequels he did after he finished the trilogy, I think. Anything by Isaac Asimov really, he's an amazing author. I recommend reading Pebble in the Sky. It was his first work that I read, and I still continually read my favorite parts in the book. Most of his work in Science Fiction, but if you're looking for a good read, I'd suggest getting that book. Or if you want to read some of his short stories, read Robot Dreams, some really good short stories in that collection. Another good work by him is Nightfall. Extremely interesting read, I highly suggest that. The good thing about his works is that they're easy to follow and understand, but are still meant to be read by adults.

lol, I haven't given you any fantasy books to read, have I? Sorry, but don't really read fantasy that often, it's mostly fiction and science fiction right now. I still really recommend Asimov, brilliant author.

Oh! I forgot, if you haven't, read The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy! Extremely funny and sarcastic.

12. Miss Selarne

Miss Selarne Sixth Year

How about Dragonlance books? (There's a whole ton.) Some of them are kind of long and half of the stuff in it isn't really needed but overall good books. I recommend reading the ones by Margaret Weis.

Some magic related books: The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud, maybe Artemis Fowl, and the wonderful world of Narnia (coming to theaters this December.)

And maybe Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy. They're good but more...I guess religious oriented, not as fantasy filled. There's God and stuff in there and debates on the afterlife but pretty good.

13. Hpsleuth11

Hpsleuth11 Guest

Thanks for the tips. I have read the Chronicles of Narnia I(the entire series) and though interesting I found them to childish and theological for my taste. I think Ill check The Bartimaeus Trilogy it sounded interesting, but Artemis Fowl doesnt seem like my cup of tea. I'm looking more for a warring fantasy world with magic involved. If anyone has any other tips please let me know.

14. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I second this, and command you to read at least Dragonlance Chronicles and also Legends. Together they are 6 books worth of some of the very, very best books ever written, and they helped spawn off an ungodly amount of books based on what those 6 books had, along with one of the most recognizable wizards next to Gandalf and Merlin in the fantasy world, Raistlin Majere. IMHO.

Couldn't stand Narnia, Artemis Fowl I don't quite manage to get interested in.

Dragonlance is pretty much a very, very complicated world, with dozens of authors writing backstory in the form of new novels. Alot of it's book center around wars: The Great Dragon's War's 1-2, War of the Lance, War of Chaos, War against the Dragon Overlords, and finally the War of the Souls.

I can't even begin to tell you how utterly awesome this world is.

15. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Blasphemy! I loved the Narnia books! Classics. Still love them, even though I'm not a kid anymore.

16. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeah that was the thing, they're geared more towards kids. I read them maybe a year ago and I remembered liking the movies they made about them, but the actual books.. ug.

17. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I like the His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman and the Artemis Fowl series...all but the fourth Artemis Fowl book was wonderful, and it does have magic in in, though at a basic level. If you're on this forum, you'd probably enjoy it.

18. sgtoutlaw

sgtoutlaw Second Year

I have read most all of what you all have, and in the WoT many are saying that Robert Jordan is just pulling the books out as a money maker.

If you have read Ender's Game then you MUST read Ender's shadow as it is even better, especially after reading enders game.

I liked the Rose of the Prophet series, especialy that part where one of the main characters was like going dark, though disapointed that he doesn't totally.

Any book done by the actual authors of the DragonLance series is pretty great, Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman, any other books that go off of their series that are not them I don't bother with since they suck.

The Dark Drow series by R.A. Salvatore I thought was really good.

Lol, if oyu are into smut, or even if not, you must read the Sleeping Beauty series by Anne Rice. Sex slaves and everything, awsome. Along that particular line the Kushiel's Dart Series by Jacqueline Carey is pretty nice if a bit slow to start.

A Man of His Word by Dave Duncan has to be one of my favorite series, though the ending does kind of suck its still worth the read.

The Unschooled Wizard by Barbara Hambly is one of the best books for magic where you are actually in the point of view of a wizard that is like in his 30's or something instead of always a teenager.

One of the coolest series would have to be Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan, an awsome book on vampires in my opinion, the beggining of the book even creeps you out. The books are short but there are 12 of them.

Cannot forget the Assasin trilogy, or alot of the trilogys after that that is wrote by Robin Hobb.

Almost forgot! One of the best single book stories I have read would by Psion by Joan D. Vinge, a good book with psychic powers and the aliens it origianted from.

Lot more probably floating in my brain I cannot remember.

19. DGD

DGD Headmaster

I recommend The Big Bad Wolf by James Patterson

20. Euphemism

Euphemism First Year

I've read the Wheel of Time series - started with the third book which I think I picked up when I was around 12 or so. Couldn't actually read it and understand it for a year or two though. After book 9, I mostly lost interest in it while waiting for book 10. Too many characters, too much politics. I have to agree, though, that the first 4 or 5 books were the best. Although I think I read every other book in the series (at that time) before I read book 5.

The Sword of Truth series irked me from the start. On my first try I read the first book. It was fairly good - the author is very talented at writing, I'll admit - he makes it very easy to read and read. The only problem is, his plots suck. He pulls way too many gimmicks, plot devices, and the ending to the first book really feels like a deus ex machina. One example? The blood rage. There was absolutely no point to that, except to let whatshername make whatshisname rip out his own balls. Another example: the sword turning white. He didn't even give the readers enough time to worry about that issue before resolving it in a meaningless way. Meh. Suddenly pulling the plot apart halfway through the first book, by introducing the dominatrix character. Plus the emphasis on Richard and whatshername always trying to have sex, but never actually getting a chance at it. I could probably rant on it endlessly. Never got past the first chapter of the third book, I think.

I enjoyed Ender's game immensely, enough so that I read some of the sequels. They were very much bleh. I think the part I liked the most about Ender's game were the games, and how Ender constantly came up with strategies and ideas that worked. What's Ender's Shadow about? Is it the one about Peter?

I remember reading and enjoying 'The Redemption of Althalus'. I also remember other people commenting that it was way too similar to the Belgariad/Mallorean and Elenium/Tamuli series. I suppose they seemed to follow the same formula, but it's one that works, and is enjoyable. I heard the newest series sucks, though. I guess it's just more of the same.

Baen has some great books in their library - I particularly recommend the Belisarius series by Eric Flint, and I think Dave Freer, especially if you like intelligent/competent main characters. Pyramid Scheme is good for a few chuckles.

My favourite book series, even though I can't find the time to read it anymore, is the Farseer Trilogy (Assassin's Apprentice/Royal Assassin/Assassin's Quest), which is well written, has well-formed characters (perhaps too many flaws sometimes, though), and is realistic in mood almost to a fault - what that means is basically, the bad guys are powerful, and the hero doesn't luck out and doesn't get it easy. It's almost painful to read, though, which is why I haven't touched it or its sequel recently.

The Liveship Trilogy, by the same author, is also decent.

I started reading 'A Game of Thrones', but haven't gotten very far in it before I gave up. It was depressing. Too many characters, and too many of them get shafted from the start. I suppose I'll finish it off sometime, but I haven't read any physical fiction books in a while.