1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Manga

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Zephyrus, May 24, 2010.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Did you? I must have missed. It was obscure enough that I didn't think it'd been mentioned.

But yeah, great series.

2. PpJt

PpJt Second Year

Yeah, post 276. Great minds and all that though. It's probably the manga I'd point people to if they were to say they are 'just stupid comics'

3. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Anyone who says that probably thinks the same thing about anime, video games, comics, movies in general, maybe even books that aren't from very few select classical writers. Those kind of people are rarely worth arguing with, in my experience.

---------- Post automerged at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 AM ----------

Apologies for the double post. I didn't want to just edit it in my previous one because it's a recommendation and I wanted to bump the thread so people can read it.

Edit: I wholeheartedly recommend 'Chikan Otoko', aka 'Molester Man'. This manga is about 21 chapters long, supposedly based on a true story, and I think it shows in that it's one of the most realistic drama series I've ever read, if not the most realistic. The best part are the character, who are never stuck into any specific archetype (mostly) and in fact act like real, actual people.

Since it's supposed to be based on a true story, the story is told by using nicknames for most of the cast. 'Molester', the MC, isn't actually a molester. It is a bit jarring for the first few chapters but you get used to it pretty fast.

Edit: The premise is that a young uni student is mistaken as a molester one day because he happened to take the same path as some girl, and the story begins with the resolution of the misunderstanding and the introduction of the characters.

The characters are the best part of this. The MC, the love interest and the few close members of the supporting cast are all ... not exactly complicated, but close. Human, I guess. Very likable characters that are very easy to root for.

This series is only the second anime/manga I have ever seen to treat romantic feelings and their various subcategories (lust, interest, love, etc) in any realistic fashion. Yes, it's a young adult drama series, and that may put some people off, but I think you should give this a chance. It kept me hooked and rooted throughout, and threw several curve balls that I, armed with my anime/manga stereotype conventions, did not expect but would very easily expect to happen in real life. They way that people think in this manga is very realistic, and it's awesome. Characters develop, change, but it feels very dynamic and not forced.

There is actual chemistry between the characters. Some of them. Between others, not so much, and it's very deliberate. Watching them interact makes someone understand the relationship between them (awkward, friends, family, in love, w/e) and doesn't just accept it as the premise and use it to move the plot.

The humor is great, and refreshing. Perhaps not all gags were winners, but throughout reading this I found myself laughing quite unexpectedly several times. There are many very smart parts that are very funny. The powerful moments don't just limit themselves to humor, but humor in this series is very good.

A negative of the series is the art. It's just not up to par with most modern manga. It's not bad, but it has a very distinctive style that's underwhelming in a technical sense. However, this is often used to the series' benefit with various humor gags that probably wouldn't work on a higher end artistic manga.

Relatively short, refreshing, realistic, mostly upbeat and positive series that made me smile and frown and laugh a lot. Read Chikan Otoko.

If someone already mentioned it a few posts back, sorry -_-

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  4. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Dungeon Meshi
    [​IMG]

This comic is about your classic four person D&D adventure team, except they eat everything they kill, so it's also a cooking manga in disguise.

Otoyomegatari
    [​IMG]

This comic is a slice-of-life story about living in central Asia in the late 19th century. If nothing else, it's worth checking out for the art alone.

I'm the Main Character of a Harem Manga, but I'm Gay So Every Day Is Hell for Me.
    [​IMG]

Exactly what it says on the tin. This is a one-shot comedy that works primarily because it's short enough that its only joke doesn't overstay its welcome.

Chimoguri Ringo to Kingyobachi Otoko
    [​IMG]

This is a series of one shots set in the same small town where the weird and surreal are daily occurrences.

Tamen de Gushi
    [​IMG]

Another slice-of-life comic, this one set in a Korean highschool (I think). It's pretty lighthearted and fun.

Junji Ito's Cat Diary
    [​IMG]

So the guy behind Uzumaki, Gyo, and a lot of other horror stories decided to pen a tale of owning cats. It's really fucking weird.

5. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Well, I'm not sure if I can fully recommend it, but after three first chapters of Platinum End I can say it has a potential to be quite good, if not great.

The art alone is worth checking and the story is about a teenage boy who wants to die finding himself in a battle royal over whoever is going to be the next God. Some are comparing it to Mirai Nikki because of the setup, but I would more likely to call it a reverse of Death Note. A protagonist can become a literal God, but doesn't want to, is a totally normal teenager using his common sense instead of a genius, has a helpful angel as his companion instead of bored shinigami and lastly it's by the same authors so it's all probably done intentionally. My only complain for now is that the chapters are published once a month (they're over 60 pages long though) when I prefer a weekly format.

6. Nocdia

Nocdia Sixth Year

Dungeon Meshi is really quite good. It's novel and imaginative, creating a surprisingly interesting setting for what is essentially a long gag about eating fantasy dungeon creatures. Even if the cooking aspect doesn't intrigue you, the characters and setting are compelling in their own right. Definitely recommended if a dnd style dungeon crawl cooking show is up your alley.

7. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I agree that Platinum End is very good so far. The art is gorgeous and I like that the protagonist is horrified by suggestions to abuse his powers. It makes him relatable and I'm interested to see where it goes next. But yeah, the monthly updates suck.

8. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I second Otoyomegatari andTamen de Gushi.

The former has maybe the best art I have seen in manga and a pretty interesting view in the culture of the time and region, something not a lot of stories delve into, let alone manga or comics, especially with that slice of life outlook without super fantasy elements. It's charming and really interesting.

The latter is just pure joy and lighthearted fun. A yuri story in a korean high school and everything has been handled expertly. The characters are fun, both, the two protagonists and the side characters. They are distinct, fun and full of life. The whole relationship build-up has perfect pacing and it's just a joy to read.

9. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I checked Otoyomegatari and it's definitely a great manga. The art is just amazing with all the details and I love the insight into the culture of the region where it story is placed. Add likeable characters and there is only one thing I can complain about and it's Talas and Smith's romance. As unrealistic as it's, I want them to have a happy ending, but right now all I expect is a scene where Smith somehow learns that she's already married to someone else (I'm halfway done so it could already happen in much later chapters).

10. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Tamen de Gushi is lighthearted fun. Actually read it last week on Nemrut's reccomendation. Being Korean, it's got a slightly different tone to the characters and interaction. The comical slice of life moments between the main character and her male friends is just hilariously fun, and the yuri romance aspect is pretty enjoyable too.

11. mangaguy

mangaguy Fifth Year

Tamen de Gushi (SQ Begin With Your Name) is actually a Chinese webcomic/manhua and is set in a Chinese high school.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  12. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

I've read a LOT of korean and some western manhwa on LINE webtoon. Pretty keen to see if theres much difference between the depicted culture in a chinese comic. I saw what I thought were some clear distinctions, so it'll be a fun thought experiment as well as a fun yuri comic.

13. Feoffic

Helck
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love Helck and I love the insane translator for Helck, who has updated something like 9 times in the last 2 days alone. This comic scratches the same itch as One Punch Man in the early chapters and gets more intricate later on. I highly recommend it.

Saint Young Men
    [​IMG]

A story of Jesus and Buddha fucking around in Tokyo. What's not to love?

Kanajo wa Rokurokubi
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A very sweet romance manga about a boy and girl who is a rokurokubi. I like how everyone just treats her stretchy neck as a matter of course, that it isn't a big thing and actually very normal.

Donyatsu
    [​IMG]

A cat manga, except the cats are shaped like doughnuts, and the story is set in the post-apocalyptic future. Very weird but highly recommended.

14. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I just caught up on the second season of Girls of the Wild's.

The same general things apply as in Season 1. Little is on the line in terms of plot. There's no rush, no big end-game goal, not much conflict going on, it's mostly slice-of-life drama/humor.
    The two big things from season 1, them being fanservice (in the form of detailed female forms and revealing outfits) and amazing art are also present, perhaps even more so than in Season 1.

I'll admit that this manga draws me. It's not the best, it's not the deepest and yes I admit that at least some part of my liking it is because of fanservice, but it's funny enough and interesting enough and the art is literally the best in manga that I have seen, especially considering that it's fully colored.

It's not without its problems. It has plenty. The most significant of which being the snail's pace of the plot and the fact that one can only watch teenagers flail around each other for so long, but it somehow bothers me less than on other manga/anime.

It bears mention, I think, that the romance plotline is slowly, painfully, kicking and screaming, approaching what some may call resolution. Or, at least, progress.

Girls of the Wild's is a good, calm manga to pass some time with and maybe have a laugh or two. It knows exactly what it is, plays to its strengths and doesn't pretend to be something it's not.

Also, my crush on Queen is still going strong. Incidentally, perhaps moving the cast to the beach has helped my positive view of this manga.

Shut up.

15. The Berkeley Hunt

Yeah its shamelessly aimed at young people, painfully stupid teenagers grasping awkwardly at each other is whats on offer here.

Good looking teens though.

16. One-Eyed Othinus

One-Eyed Othinus Third Year

My country isn't a country; it is winter.
    A recommendation for Somali and the Forest Spirit (Somali to Mori no Kami-sama). Only two chapters out so far, but I've been sucked in.

The plot follows a golem, self described watchman of the forest, and Somali, a human little girl who he found alone and in chains one day, and since calls him "Father". They travel together in search for other humans, in a world where most have disappeared and/or been eaten, with the non human monsters now ruling the lands.

The art is gorgeous, and I can't help making comparisions with Berserk. It's to the point where there could be no plot and I'd still read it. The relationship between the golem and Somali is sickengly sweet and heartwarming, but then again, I'm a sucker for father figure/daughter figure story, so I'm not exactly unbiased.

Overall, a calm read to pass the time. Definitely worth it if only for the art.

17. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I second that recommendation. It's really heart-warming, and the art is very good. The comparison to Berserk is astute, because the arts are very similar, but Somali so far has been noting but cute and heartwarming. Only two chapters, but it's very good.

Check it out.

18. RThomas

RThomas Squib

Here are some of my favourite manga: (all time favourites)

- Cross Game (10/10): An absolute masterpiece in the Slice-of-Life-Genre and in my opinion the best Adachi Mitsuru manga published. You should definitely give it a try if you are even slightly interested in character driven stories... plus you don't need to care about baseball one bit :D

-Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (8.5/10): Really popular because of the anime right now. I have a weakpoint for stories about music, and it's a bit on the sappy drama side (if you need to have an happy end, don't read it), but the art is great and the characters likeable.

-H2 (8/10): Another work by Adachi Mitsuru. Also great (and longer than Cross Game), but not quite as amazing

-Holyland (8/10): Story about a bullied child, who falls in with thugs and the Night Life, becoming a street fighter. My summary doesn't do it justice, do try it out. The art is not really that great, but the story is fantastic and the author knows what he is talking about in regard to martial arts and street fighting

-Beck (8/10): A boy who is bored with his life meets a guitarits and starts falling in love with music. Great, great characters and story, art okay.

-Instant Bullet (7.5/10): A shortlived and not wellknown manga (only 23 chapters) with an innovative story and amazing plot twists. It was axed, but amazingly enough the mangaka managed to wrap it up satisfactory. I'm still hoping he gets the chance to continue it in some way.

-Onanie Master Kurosawa (8/10): MATURE MATERIAL. A doujin with terrible art and alienating premise, but trust me it is totally worth reading if you can let the story engage you. That the mangaka manages to pull of that plot speaks to his skills.

And lastly:

-Naruto (3/10): I mean come on. I DID read more than enough Naruto ffs and the first part of the manga is good enough, but part 2 (Shippudden) is just a massive clusterfuck of doom. :nyan:

19. Feoffic

Jyoshikausei
    [​IMG]

A manga about an odd-ball girl. In the five chapters I've read there isn't a single line of dialogue, which is an interesting change of pace.

I am a Hero
    [​IMG]

This manga has one of the best end of volume one twists I've ever seen, so I won't spoil it for you all and tell you what this manga is actually about. It's one hell of ride and I can't recommend it enough.

Shut Hell
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This manga is set (primarily) in the time of Genghis Khan and features a lot of Mongols running around killing the fuck out of things. It gets a tad dumb later on, but overall it's a pretty decent read.

Flying Witch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Teenage witch goes to rural country town and has witch shenanigans.

Shion of the Dead
    [​IMG]

The daily struggles of a zombie girl.

20. The Berkeley Hunt

Reccing Magician, a korean webtoon. It just entered it's second season so I figured now is a good time for new people to see the first part of the story as one complete block.

Its a fantasy title about two kids from a small town who get mixed up in the adventures of the legendary, some say immortal, wizard Ethermask. The two kids, Iremy and Enz are pretty funny and the wizard is pretty cool. The comic has a very sketchy style that is pretty rough in the start, but blossoms into a really cool style as it goes on. Good worldbuilding and backgrounds, especially for a webtoon and a solid arc for the characters over the story.

IMO one of the best webtoons ever in the underused fantasy genre.

PS Other great webtoons include Hellper, a frenetic afterlife action, and Duty After School a complete story about a highschool class drafted to deal with an alien invasion.