1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Manga

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Zephyrus, May 24, 2010.

1. D.H.

D.H. Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I'll second Magician. The art at the start is rough, but stick with it.

2. scala

scala Squib

High Score:
    Most of the Chinese fantasy/battle manhuas where MC is the strongest motherfucker ever for no reason are complete shit, but if you were to choose an enjoyable one to read, I'd go with Dou Pou Cang Xiong. I'll admit it's a bit of a guilty pleasure, but if you have spare time, I'd check it out.

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Totally support this rec. I started reading this and am now on episode 69. The characters are interesting, and the setting is simple enough to understand though slowly building in complexity.

The art is okay, too. It just slowly drew me in. Ethermask is cool, and the kids are somewhat interesting (Enz much more so than Iremy, but eh).

It's a good fantasy webtoon to spend some time on.

4. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

If you liked Magician check these other Manhwas out

5. Nocdia

Nocdia Sixth Year

Duty After School is a good read. It ends kinda abruptly and pulls a few disaster-zombie-aliens invade cliches but definitely worth the time. At any rate, it doesn't pull many punches.

6. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've been following it as well. Parts of it are absolutely tedious and pretty much unnecessary - why so much time is spent on a fight, I'll never know.

But there's something about the overall story that's charming. And, despite myself, I ended up grinning at Queen's mistake on the beach.

7. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Finished reading all that's available for the webcomic Magician.

Overall, my first impressions still stand, but some negatives have cropped up.

The ending of season 1 was, in a single word, forced. Ethermask pretty much had to hold and own the idiot ball in order for Zenus to accomplish what he wanted. It cheapened a lot of things, such as what happened to D and Timeh. I'm sure a better way to get Nastasha to Marcio's hands could have been found. One that didn't require Ethermask to basically be 'I heavily dislike what you're doing but I will sit here and watch while you do it and do nothing'.

Eh. I get that they needed stuff to happen for the timeskip to the second season, sure. The kids needed to grow and the stakes needed to get higher. I'm all for it. But not like this.

Still, its a good comic. I'll keep following it.

8. Ennead

Ennead Seventh Year

Ran to Haiiro no Sekai-The manga has beautiful art that makes the magical misadventures of a little girl seem even more fantastical. The magic system reminds me of Hayao Miyazaki with a bit more mischief added to it.

Rin-It's about how mangakas, fate, and inspiration tangle together. Very similar to Bakuman in some respects, but the supernatural/ESP aspects make it stand out on its own.

Chouka Kou/March of the Long Song/Chang Ge Xing-Amazing art framing the story of an amazing protagonist: a princess who escapes her own assassination and uses her tactical skills and intelligence to get revenge...though it hasn't nearly gotten that far yet.

Until Death Do Us Part-Detailed action manga with lots of compelling characters set in the criminal underworld. The main characters are a precognitive girl targeted by an entire country and the master swordsman who protects her.

Handa-kun-A high school prequel to Barakamon, which is also a manga/anime (heart warming and funny, highly recommend). It's pure crack, in which Handa thinks he's the most hated guy in school when he's actually the most popular...misunderstandings abound.

Ore to Kawazu-san no Isekai Hourouki-A humorous and irreverent take on the tired trope of "student gets transported to a magical world." He's completely OP but mostly uses it to explore the fantasy world around him and make the magical equivalent of a computer.

9. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I love this. I love everything about this. Yes, it's crack and lighthearted, but that only makes it better, since it knows what it is and that's what it was going for from the beginning. Despite this, it has some very good moments, is consistently funny and eve, dare I say it, surprising. The premise is pulled off much, much better than I thought it would.

It's not particularly long, but that's okay too. It works for what it is. I strongly recommend it to everyone.

Cheers for the rec. I'll check some of the others, too.

Edit: Disclaimer: I post this as vol 2, chapter 7. Don't be too surprised if you see me spitting flames after I read all of it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  10. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

'Sorry my hand slipped'

haha

11. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I figured out why I like Handa-kun so much. It's basically what Make a Wish and its various derivatives tried to be, but it doesn't suck.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  12. Haze

Haze Second Year

Search can't seem to find anything for me.

Why hasn't anyone recommended Tokyo Ghoul yet? (The manga, not the anime. The anime is terrible.)

13. The Berkeley Hunt

Haven't they? I could have sworn I'd seen it somewhere...

If they havent, then yes I'd heartily recommend it. Great style, Kaneki is a baller and the original series is all wrapped up too.

There's an ongoing sequel, Tokyo Ghoul: Re. The sequel has some aspects that are even better than the original (art, Haise).

This is dark action at its finest.

14. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I checked out Ore to Kawazu-san no Isekai Hourouki, reading all there is of it.

It's sort of easy to get through, but also sort of meh. Not the bad kind, but it's just sort of bland. The art is bland, bare and below average, the plot is not particularly interesting, there's no draw to it.

Not being bad doesn't make it good.

15. mangaguy

mangaguy Fifth Year

Two recs from the same author.

Immortal Hounds
    [IMGUR]hVTZo3F[/IMGUR]

A science fiction manga with an interesting premise involving immortality. The characters are a bit weird, and so is the hint of romance, but I feel like the strength of the universe justifies a rec. It's really just getting started, though, with 23 or so chapters.

Uwagaki
    [IMGUR]5wlVWYg[/IMGUR]

While Immortal Hounds is a scifi with a hint of romance, Uwagaki is a romance with a hint of scifi. The scifi isn't strong at all, and is more a vehicle for the romantic plot. The romantic plot is... different though. It's about a girl who is cloned for an experiment on romance.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2016
  16. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Anyone here checked Noblesse? Is it worth reading?

Recently got an anime adaptation, too.

17. The Berkeley Hunt

I read a bunch of it some time ago.

In my opinion, its fundamentally bad. It has a pretty good art style which improves a lot as it goes in much like Bleach. But like Bleach its a seriously formulaic fighting manga/manhwa. The characters arent very deep and the cast, which widens as it goes on, includes some very irritating and one dimensional characters. Theres also a lot of gay subtext which you may or may not be into.

I felt like this had a pretty good beginning but it really began to drag on after a while. I think Bleach is actually a pretty good comparison, except Bleach actually had deeper characters, which if youve read it is saying something. I felt like Noblesse became too much of a 'popular' series, and that kind of crushed it into a monotonous formula as it went on.

I think you can get a kick out of discovering the world and the art style, but if you're asking whether its worth the time investment to get into it and read it all, then im gonna say no.

Edit: I might check out the anime though, its a chance to capture the really good parts of the series and improve some of the bad ones.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  18. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Hm. I've read up to chapter 200 of Noblesse. Until now, I've enjoyed it quite a bit. I like Rai and I like Frankenstein, and the series got much better once the other Nobles were introduced. The humor was great, and the art is good.

As of chapter 200, it's come to a great conclusion to this arc that could have potentially even ended the series. It left me feeling satisfied and gave the impression of closure, you know?

However ... I have this ominous feeling that this is the zennith; the tipping point. That from this point on, the series will just get worse and worse. Can you confirm, The Berkeley Hunt?

19. The Berkeley Hunt

Been a few years now since I read it, dont recall plot specifics or arcs too well. The other nobles were pretty good, but the continued inclusion of the one blonde slightly psycopathic noble, as well as the 'team' of the 3 ex bad guys who keep on showing up and doing nothing and having the exact same personality every time started getting to me in about an arc or two.

If you're enjoying it I dont wanna try and tell you that you shouldn't be. I personally got tired of the formula, but obviously many people love reading the same thing every week so your mileage may vary.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  20. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

IIRC, it got very repetitive and filler-ish.