1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Manga

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Zephyrus, May 24, 2010.

1. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

This one has the most epic confession scene I've ever seen in a manga. :awesome

2. hgf

hgf Fourth Year

I totally second that. Extremely entertaining.

3. nairit

nairit Second Year

More stuff to enjoy: Let's Fight Ghost

Another Korean webtoon. Basically the sixth sense with an older protag who abuses his gift. The art might put some people off at the start but it gets a lot better as you go on. The humor is actually funny and the angst is excruciating but does not feel overdone.

Best put by a commenter
    Come Spring

Slow moving fantastical romance story. Very much character focused and well drawn. Basic Premise: Guy's mother dies and he cries his heart out in her memory every year. But it's a secret that is known only to one other person.
    Another webtoon.

Anyone notice that there have been so many good webtoons being translated?

Now, onto NSFW section. DO NOT READ THIS IN PUBLIC UNLESS YOU WANT TO LABELLED AS A PERVERT AND START CUTTING YOURSELF AND LOSE YOUR JOB AND GET KICKED OUT YOUR FAMILY.....

*cough* continuing

Sun-Ken Rock

Ken, a jap high school delinquent loves Yumi. She leaves to Korea to become a policewoman. He, naturally follows. Through shenanigans, he becomes the head of a local gang. Then more shenanigans and hilarity ensues.

Warnings: rape, mentions of rape, sex, boobies, violence, blood and did I mention rape?

Thankfully, the rape aspect does not become central to the plot - it's there to show how gangs usually operate.

Minamoto-kun Monogatari

As you might have guessed from the title, this is inspired by Genji Monogatari or the Tales of Genji which is a Japanese classic.
    Basic premise: Procrastinating and Undecided Slow Sissy Youth (PUSSY) protag is horribly shy. Going into college, he moves in with his aunt (superhot)
    who is researching into GenjiMonogatari. So she tries to make him into a playboy and get laid with multiple women. Hijinks and pervertedness ensues.

4. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Sun-Ken Rock is not as bad as you make it out... with your summary you would think that rape is mentioned on every second page while it is only mentioned 3-4 times in the whole manga.
    But enough of that.. I also like that manga a lot. It is funny, but on the same time never gets too unrealistic. And ken is how Naruto and Co. should have been.. an Idealist who can accept reality and act accordingly.

5. nairit

nairit Second Year

You're right. I guess I over-emphasized the rape thing. But, if it wasn't good, I would never have recommended it.

Also, more stuff.

Rurouni Kenshin

This manga is super famous. And really really good. It's about a repentant assassin trying to get on with his life but his past haunting him. A period piece about the Meiji era, it has substantial differences from the anime that is much more widely known. Expect sword-fighting and quasi-supernatural aspects.
    And really well-done fights.

Cage of Eden

A plane crashes somewhere over the pacific ocean on a mysterious island that does not appear on any maps. Extinct animals are found everywhere and no signs of civilization can be seen. Protag is very much a follower of GUTS! philosophy and is badass. He fights dinosaurs with sticks and doesn't afraid of anything. Pretty much a cross between Lost and The Lost World with a likable protag that is actually a good leader.

Kure-Nai

Protag is the victim of a terrorist bombing that kills his entire family. He grows up to be a dispute mediator, armed with insane fighting skills.
    Fun stuff, the story has harem elements as well as some gore and brutality.
    The fights are especially brutal and people actually die. Very dark.

6. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

Good god Nairit. You and your recs are going to keep me very busy during my downtime.

7. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

I’m slowly but surely making my way through nairit’s recommendations.

I dropped “Trinity 7”, “Denpa Kyoushi”, “Kimiiro Focus” and “The World God Only Knows” pretty soon, while I’m keeping an eye on “She’s Gon” because of the protagonist, for now.

Instead, I’m loving the shit out of “Be Mine, Hero! I Refuse!” (Maooyuu Maou Yuusha). Only nine chapters but they’re awesome. Very interesting dynamics between the two protagonists, very original points raised by the both of them, nice character development and fairly decent setting.

“Girls of the Wild’s” is funny and actually pretty moving in more than a couple of scenes. I’m digging the weak/strong protagonist and the anticipation for the evolution he will have. Hoping against hope he won’t end up with the blond (Queen), I’ll keep on reading this very entertaining and well-done manga.

“Kagami No Kuni No Harisugawa” was meh, but decent enough that I continued reading it till the end. Mx0 was much more entertaining, though.

While not as enthusiastically as other people in this thread, I liked “Baby Steps”. It’s nowhere near “Eyeshield 21” for now, which in turn is nowhere near “Slam Dunk”, but it’s a nice sports manga.

I’ve been following “Bakuman” for a while. It’s an interesting view of the behind-the-scene-life of a mangaka, with a tolerable romance and some parody elements thrown into it.

“Great Teacher Onizuka” is simply one of the best manga I’ve ever read for the genre. I already knew it but I took the chance to reread some of it. Still Great, this Teacher Onizuka.

And last but not least, “Nana To Kaoru”. I… have no words… I’ve never been into S&M (I shy from it, even), but this manga is incredible. Fantastic. Absolutely wonderful. Definitely the best discovery out of all nairit’s recommendations I read. Maybe it’s also because I was pretty much completely unfamiliar with the subject, but… the take on it… truly enticing. I’m in love with it.

8. nairit

nairit Second Year

If you enjoy those kind of weak/strong protags with a strong evolution element, then you really should read up on The Breaker and Holyland.

Any amount of praise that I give Holyland wouldn't be enough while The Breaker is a prime example of how to make a weak protag into a strong one.

9. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

I'm on it. :p

10. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

I enjoyed the first couple of chapters, before I noticed a pattern that seemed to be recurring a little too much. I continued reading, but while my amusement lessened at somewhat repetitive jokes, my annoyance grew at how similar every chapter or small arch was to the previous one. I skipped 30-something installments ahead, saw that it was still the same and said "fuck it".

That's a vague play-by-play for you. ;)

11. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

I started Girlds of the Wilds expecting comedy gold on the premise of a single guy attending a school where the girls are trained fighters. Boy was i let down....

I'll check The Breaker out since people have been reccing it.

12. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

If you find it's repetitive nature bad, that I can understand. I actually enjoyed several bits of it, and some of the 'conquests' do switch things up. I almost gave up I think around chapter 60 or so, then it started to actually pull together an all-encompassing plot. And at the moment it looks like its heading towards a climax. Tying in almost everything rather neatly. Almost hard to believe they planned it all in advance, but it seems that way.

13. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Just read "Onani Master Kurosawa". Started a bit meh with a somewhat cliché protagonist and slightly baffling wording, but I kept on going. It got better and better and by the end I was disappointed there were no more chapters. I very much enjoyed the protagonist's journey - fantastic character development there. It felt a bit rushed at one point, but it was definitely great overall.

Hmmm... I'm tempted to pick it up again, but maybe later. Thanks, anyway.

14. nairit

nairit Second Year

Noblesse

Another webtoon. This time it's about vampires. And, yes, the vampires are supernaturally handsome/beautiful but that's not the draw here. The draw here is the fact that the main lead has been asleep for 1000 years. And he is completely inept in modern times. Very funny moments and pretty badass fighting moments.

Also, the Headmaster is Frankenstein.

15. tysdfasd

tysdfasd Raptured to Hell

his child is destined for a terrible fate.Sac Lancel A string of strange and mysterious murders begin to occur soon afterward, ones that professionally benefit Dr. Tenma, and he emerges as the primary suspect.

16. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Historie is pretty good but I have to admit, I expected Alexander to be like the Alexander from Fate Zero, so I was a bit disappointed to see him being so different.

Unreasonable, sure, but still. Really wish that guy had his own manga. Would buy and read the shit out of that.

17. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

nairit you are my hero... thx to you I can spend my time reading good manga instead in looking for it.

I really liked Ares and the last two.. any others that are like them?

18. nairit

nairit Second Year

Finding manga dealing with stuff like that maturely is nigh-impossible. It almost always ends with the protag letting someone live only for a previous enemy to become a friend.

In small amounts, that a valid tool in any author's arsenal. But it gets too overused now.

Adding something I recently picked up: Pandora Hearts

Things that this manga does great: mindfucks. Serious mindfucks. Some plot points just make you stop and stare at the screen as your brain restarts. The best part is that it still hasn't actually pulled stupid stuff out of a magic hat. There seems to be groundwork laid for everything, and when you look back, you can see the threads of plot connecting events.

Also the art is shojo-y so that might put some people off, but I can say very clearly that this is not Shonen-Ai or Yaoi in any way.

You might think that the protag is a weak pissant, but there are reasons for everything in this manga.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  19. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

What I couldn’t get into: “Annarasumanara” (because of the art), “Shibatora” (theme), “ID” (tone), “Happy World” (characters) and “Sora No Otoshimono” (weak silly:funny proportion).

“Magico” is a bit of a chore in some places, but the rest is good enough that I’ve decided not to give up on it. I’ve put it on hold for now, though.

I loved the premise for “Iris Zero” and the theme was tackled in a very nice way. I’m digging the protagonist and a couple of side characters, but I’m more than a bit wary about the direction the manga has taken after the iris-hunter arc. The birth of all the couples are cringe-worthy and I honestly think that, in general, the romance elements aren’t done very well. I will keep on reading it but I fear it will let me down.

“Misumaruka Koukoku Monogatari” was very entertaining and looks fairly promising. I feel it would have worked better as a seinen, cutting off some of the classic shounen stuff that is getting a bit old, but we would have probably missed on a few of the protagonist’s wild/silly actions in that case. Still, there were a little too many already seens, and more are going to pop in later on, I’m sure. I need to force myself to expect less from this manga, despite all the good and original things there are in it.

I liked “Minamoto-kun Monogatari”, both the art and the story (I’m not familiar with the Tales of Genji but this manga is making me feel like I’m missing on it). The ecchi stuff is enjoyable and it’s decently done. The humour has also hit more than missed, which is fairly rare for me, but I’m curious to see where it’s headed. Will it parallel the novel from which it’s inspired? Right now, I would prefer it wouldn’t but I’m open for anything.

And last but not least, by far the best (albeit short) manga of this last batch I read: “Sayonara Piano Sonata”. It’s fantastic. It has nice art, a good story and a theme I dig, but what really makes it great are the characters. The mangaka plays with them perfectly, putting them in engaging situations, having them react realistically and satisfyingly (even when they’re annoying), having them give us the right amount of information the right way. Truly a marvellous job there. It gets bonus points for the music name-drops and for having a girl-drummer in it. I doubt the protagonist will get together with her, though. A lesbian affair with the guitarist will have to do, I guess. :awesome

20. nairit

nairit Second Year

You really should be reading that from the scantalator's site; they put music that the people play in with the scan's too.