1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Master Slytherin, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Cell

Cell Gunner of The Black Poison DLP Supporter

Fuck you Materazzi. France had it until the sideline ref saw the headbutt on the T.V.

2. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks....thats all I had to say :D

FORZA AZZURRI, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!! :D :D :D

3. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

All in all, Italy did deserve the Cup. How many goals did their opponents score? One, a penalty. And one owngoal.
    And so much for Trezeguet ;)

And let's give all a big WTF for Zidane. Way to headbutt his own legacy ;)

4. carnivalofcarnage

carnivalofcarnage Second Year

Actually the reason why all the France fans were so pissed was that the headbutt wasn't shown on tv in the stadium. The sideline ref. saw the whole thing and the card was deserved. No matter what Materazzi did, you don't headbutt someone (it's too obvious)

5. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Yeah right, lol - the talk is going to be "Italy won - but Zidane headbutted." Italy played horribly, once again - the ball was in France's half 75 minutes of the game and it came down to penalty kicks, which for the Final, are horrible, imo.

But that's not the point - Zidane headed and that's Anti-Hero status. Better than the usual mamby-pamby, he was injured and came back and won the game for France crap. He has a World Cup, probably will have Golden Cup and headbutted his way into history. Zidane is the champ.

6. Litha Riddle

Litha Riddle Banned DLP Supporter

I must say to some extent I agree with Bio.

Although it cost France the cup, it was worth the anti-hero status. Italy was definately the worst team but, it's results that count. It was a great end to a great tournement, well done to all the teams who took part.

Congratulations Italy!

Litha

7. Dr_Jos

Dr_Jos First Year

I think it's a shame a great player like Zidane has to end his carreer in such a fashion.
    Now when people are going to talk about Zinendine they are most likley going to remember the headbutt.
    I don't think Italia deserved to win. I mean in the second half and the extended time France had the upperhand. I think they lost the match when they had to change Henry cause he would most likley have taken a penalty and scored him

8. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Congrats to Italy.

9. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

If Maradona can be a crack-head and still be seen as one of, if not the, greatest players the world has ever seen, then Zidane will bounce back from this.

But to be honest, I'm really disappointed in Zidane. I don't care about France. If Zidane wasn't in the squad, I would've been completely neutral. What I did care about was Zidane getting the send-off he deserved. He should've been lifting the cup as his last act as a professional footballer, not headbutting like fucking Chris Benoit. If I were him, I wouldn't want to wake up tomorrow... (even though he kind of saved Trezeguet's ass)

The World Cup shouldn't be decided on penalties. Maybe they should bring back the old replay system where the match is played again later on. Becasue honestly, no team deserves to win/lose a World Cup FINAL like that. Brazil deserved the cup in '02, as did France in '98. Did Italy deserve '06? Maybe.

A controversial end to a largly uncontroversial World Cup. Congratulations Italy, and more importantly, Canavarro who played superbly.

10. Violent Seas

Violent Seas Sixth Year

congrats to italy!

11. carnivalofcarnage

carnivalofcarnage Second Year

I see it as a fitting end to the world cup. The world cup was riddled with sub-par playing and had an enormous amount of matches going to overtime (and some being decided in penalties). What better way to end it than with OT? Neither team was convincing enough to hold any real claim to the cup anyway and I like the fact that it was decided by a misser from Trezeguet rather than a save from Buffon.

12. Kiklo

Kiklo Seventh Year

All in all this day is GREAT! ITALY WON!!!! I won my volleyball games at this tournament! AND potter's resistance chapter updated! WoW
    GOOOOO ITALY!!!!!!!!

13. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Kindda sad that the games are over. It was a pity that the final came to Penalty Kicks but what can you say. Both sides played well and after the second half France seemed to want to score again.

It was a bleh! ending to a somewhat mediocre world cup.

Congrats to Italy though.

14. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

You know what? Zidane, with his sending off, kind of dealt a blow to Italy because all the headlines are like:

ZIDANE BOWS OUT SHAMEFULLY (but Italy won the World Cup)

15. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

The headlines today are.....Zidane headbutts Italy to a victory.....

16. Nullify

Nullify Seventh Year

Congrats Italy!

I'm disappointed but...ah well...*shrugs*

I'm sick with the "Amazin' Headbutting Zidane" story. They're fucking showing it over and over...in newspapers, news reports, recounts of the match...in both English and Chinese. Yes, you don't try to go out like that, especially if it's your last match, and more importantly, Zidane, and I really want him to go out in glory, especially in the last match my favourite commentary (a famed old man around here) will do, but fuck that...

This World Cup's been mediocre, really. Not worth all the hype around here. People flying to Germany, rushing to bars, a section in all the newspapers, three hour analysises every single day, three fucking 'World Cup Channels'...ah well.

Should be able to get my life together better now that I don't stay up almost every night. =)

17. SushiZ

SushiZ Auror

One thing we can all agree on. LONG LIVE ZIDANE AND A JOB WELL DONE FOR SHOWING THAT STUPID ITALIAN THE WAY. i dont care about who won. in fact no one likes italy since the world cup has ended, everyone has forgotten who won instead remembering that beautiful head butt. that completely overshadowed the italian win wich in my eyes was victory. as for the italians, everything about them is corrupt, from government to their soccer league

18. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Good thing that certain people don't really care what some twits think, huh?

19. Flamata

Flamata First Year

One thing about the headbut is that Zidane probably threw away millions of dollars in endorsements by doing that. I mean, who would want the infamous headbutter endorsing their product?

BTW, did you know that the officials are having lipreaders go through all the taped games to see what was said now? Wow, is that ever going to take a long time to sort through all the trash talk.

20. Nullify

Nullify Seventh Year

Ah well. That headbutt is still amazing. :p 'Nuff said.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006