1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oh the WHOmanity!?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Jon, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I like this theory, it makes sense and explains how same humans become wizards in first place. It could be taken on another level and have unborn children intentionally exposed to strong magic artifacts/places/beings to make them stronger magically in future. Like listening to music by pregnant women is suppose to make kids smarter. Somebody should definitely use it in DF fic, or even original story.

2. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

For some reason, this whole discussion makes me thing of the Xanth books - exposure to an uber-powerful demon makes every person, animal, most of the plantlife, and even the water magical in some way.

3. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

This. I've been thinking this since I read Butcher's comment about the thing to consider regarding Molly having magic and her siblings not is the amount of time Charity hadn't been practising magic.

Even though she wasn't practising when she had Molly, it takes time for magic to go away. So, Molly was exposed, at the very least in early pregnancy, but the others weren't.

EDIT: And yes, this has plot potential. Wizards exploit this to cause a huge surge in the Practitioner population? They'd just need to find some place pregnant woman go a lot and make it very magical...

Or they see to it that (insert world leader)'s child is magical?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  4. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Wouldn't work. Butcher said that it's a combination of environmental and genetic factors, not just environmental. Genetically, Charity's other kids had the chance to become practitioners, but due to her swearing off magic, she was stacking all the environmental factors against them.

EDIT: Found the quote.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010