1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP On The Wings Of An Eagle by FernandelDeLaFrance - M - FamiliarofZero&Assassin's Creed

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Erandil, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Title: On The Wings Of An Eagle
    Author: FernandelDeLaFrance
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure
    Category: Crossover - Familiar of Zero & Assassin's Creed
    Pairings: None
    Summary: Near the end of his life, Ezio Auditore, once Mentor of the Assassins, decides to serve his order with his dying breath by retrieving an ancient artefact. To his surprise, it whisks him away to a strange country of magic, where old eagles fly again...
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8118551/1/On_The_Wings_Of_An_Eagle

This is one of the more interesting Familiar of Zero Crossovers. The writing is solid and the plot looks promising.

2. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

I've been following this one after I commented that I hadn't seen any crossovers that didn't have a character that catered/put up with Louise's behaviour - I think it was after someone gave out one with a Dumbledore-familiar. Anyways, I was given a list and this was one of the best provided.

Never played the sequel, but with how it's written I don't need the background info in advance. The author works in some of game points (like the weapon in the latest chapter), trying to make it more than just a 'character from setting A, in setting B' kind of fic, but it's really how Ezio is handled that makes this a good fic for me. He's written with lots of detail and the author has made him his own - lively and following no 'formula'

Now part of it might just be that I haven't played the game, so that what seems like a lot of creativity from the author could just be him drawing it from AC. Regardless of that though, still written well.

3. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

This. Ezio sounds like... well Ezio. XD

That and I like the setup "Father of Understanding"

If it goes far it will be good.

4. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

This is after Hill of Swords(which can change depending on how far the author will write) is the best Familiar of Zero fanfiction. I haven't played Assassin Creed before but it's explained well enough that I don't need to know about it. Also the FernandelDelaFrance made a good work with Kirche.

On another note I like how the author is being all prim and proper in the author notes. 4,5/5

5. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

I for one loath the author notes, they stretch for pages.

But the story itself is great, and i very nearly shouted at the computer when i had caught up at a cliffhanger. 4/5, with potential to go up.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  6. Dnar Semaj

Dnar Semaj Seventh Year

Despite not being well acquainted with either fandom it was understandable and enjoyable.

It's really good but it lacks that "HOLY SHIT SO AWESOME" aspect that would make it 5/5. 4/5 with potential.

7. Nargles

Nargles Seventh Year

I've been following this for a while now, and it's fucking BOSS. Chapters are nice and lengthy, so that't a bonus for me. The story is written well enough that you don't really need to know much about either fandom to understand what's going on.

4.5/5 round up to 5

8. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

I couldn't read past chapter 5. The heavy handed anti-noble rant was moronic enough, but I read through that because the rest of it was so good. Then chapter 5 comes and Louise wants to use the sword. What. Not only is it completely impractical (How the hell is she going to use her sword and wand at the same time), it's also been done to death dozens of times.

So, I get that other people like it, but this story's not for me. 3.5/5 rounded down.

9. Rawrixmoo

Rawrixmoo Second Year

They have sword wands in Zero no Tsukaima. Her fiancee uses one.

10. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

That's different, Wardes used a swordwand which was actually just a piece of steel with a handle. Because it was a wand it had to be the right shape so it couldn't hold an edge, if Wares wanted to give it a blade he had to use a wind spell (line class, if I remember rightly). Louise doesn't have access to wind spells at all.

That said, I just didn't like it. If you read it and like it good on ya, but it's not a story I got into.

11. Atomic Lightning-bug

Atomic Lightning-bug Second Year DLP Supporter

It's like reading Hill of Swords again, but with more gratuitous French. :/

12. SKsniper128

SKsniper128 Fifth Year

I thought it was a reasonable choice from Louise. Think of it this way, so far she has been 'useless' in conventional forms of magic and sees her familiar easily defeating another mage even though he is a 'commoner' himself.

She then seeks instruction on how she could use similar techniques because, hey if she can't use magic then why not have something that could even the odds?

That's what I see it as anyways.

-SK

13. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

I like it lots. I've only read the manga and watched a bit of the first episode of Zero no Tsukaima, but I played all of the AC games except Revelations.

The pacing is good and the fight scenes work surprisingly well.

Aside from the excessive author's notes and disclaimers, the only thing I have to complain about are the improper uses of Italian, like 'prego,' which really grinds my gears.

14. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

To be perfectly fair, Ezio speaks like that in the games as well.

15. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Been following this for a while. Well written, and well executed.

But so far hasn't really shown anything good enough for me to give it more than a 4/5. But we'll see how it goes as we really start to get into the plot away from school. I've found just about all ZnT fics are pretty similar at this point.

16. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    In the AC games the random italian phrases are explained as bugs in the Animus' translation software, so it doesn't make much sense in this context. It doesn't really bother me that much, though I can see why it might bother some people.

17. Infidel

Infidel Auror

Thanks to this thread, I read Hill of swords which turned out to be bloody fantastic. Will eagerly follow this story to see how it goes. But, having never played Assassins creed, I have no idea what to expect. Is Ezio's behavior at the festival expected of him? I thought he would hide his skills.

18. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

The characterization of Enzio is really quite believable and conform with the games.

And yeah.. this is no Fate/stay Night so familiars don´t hide their powers here so the knife trick is ok.

19. SKsniper128

SKsniper128 Fifth Year

When Ezio is going for a high-profile assassination or takedown, he does not give a damn who sees him. It doesn't matter if civilians or guards are in the area, in fact occassionally he makes sure that he can lure as many witnesses to the target as possible.

Besides, Ezio has already seen the effects of the Papal staff could have on people. If someone is trying to pilfer it for unknown and possibly malcious reasons, then he will do his best to terminate him/her.

-SK

20. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter