1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP One Future, Lightly Used - M - Mass Effect/Fallout

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Download, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: One Future, Lightly Used
    Author: SeptimusMagisto
    Rating: M
    Genre: SciFi, comedy
    Updated: January 20, 2017
    Published: December 31, 2014
    Words: ~ 75,000

Fandom: Fallout/Mass Effect crossover
    Pairings: None
    Summary: At the absolute best of times interacting with humans was a lot like talking to children. Stubborn, rowdy children with laser rifles and Mass Effect technology. Not so long ago they unleashed nuclear weapons and terrifying viruses on their own planet, wiping out millennia of technological and cultural progress. A lot of them became literal cavemen. Small caches of technology and data hidden away in apocalypse proof vaults allowed them to restore their technological level in three centuries rather than a hundred. But culture is not so easily restored.

Only two species ever proved to be the right combination of violent and stubborn to nuke their own planet. The krogan just got even more hardy and violent than before. The humans never went that far, but what happened instead was in some ways worse. They flew into space before their heroes and villains had time to fade into history, much less myth. The scientists decoding the Prothean archives on Mars were at most a few generations removed from adventurers walking through the wasteland with wide-brimmed hats pulled over their eyes and shooting slavers and cannibals. They were a young race with the technology of an old race at their disposal. Children really was the correct description.

Link: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/one-future-lightly-used-mass-effect-fallout.322704/

One the few exceptional Fallout crossovers. The author has written Shepherd as a Fallout player character and done it really well - quirkiness and all. Mass Effect canon was also rapidly blown away removing any rehash.

4/5 from me.

Checked by Minion, February 11, 2017
    Yes, it's still work in progress.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2017
  2. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

Mhh. I tried reading it, but the writing felt drab. Technically, it's decent, but I can't get past the first few chapters without being bored out of my wits.

The characters don't feel alive. They're just there. They react to the events... and that's it.

3/5 because it's adequate compared to the other ME crossovers. Read it if you're an insomniac and need sleep.

3. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Bumped to gain attention: Please review!

I'll give this story until Sunday before I move it based on the rating.

4. claypigeon

claypigeon First Year

I read a couple chapters and the story just struck me as bland. From the characters to the scene descriptions I didn't find a single thing to hook my attention, which is rather disappointing considering how much i love both settings. I'll give it a 3/5

5. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

Bland is maybe one word for it although I'd have go for sparse myself. The writing is a whole lot of "tell" not "show", with lots of dialogues and no details in between. I personally wasn't able to get past the first chapter, what with it being a flashback told by an annoying version of Shepard.

Giving it a 2/5. Maybe it gets better but that first chapter just wasn't good enough to keep me interested at all.