1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"One Piece" anime and manga

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by CrashLTD, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Scarty

Scarty Denarii Host DLP Supporter

@li.u
    Carlsen Product Info(it's in german)
    and if you want to have dl-links for german versions just pm me ;)

2. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

3. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

Okay, I know this is something of a necro posting... But rather than have the topic contiunue to plague the Naruto thread... I'll use this thread as it's supposed to be used.

That said, clearly you (and others that have said that one piece anime is bad) have seen the 4kids piece of crap. God help you, my friend. You've been exposed to something so horrible and searingly awful that I can only feel pity for your scar-ed soul.

That said.

Allow me to give you a little insight to how bad the edits were between the real One piece anime and the 4 kids crap.

In the Arlong park arc. Nami. (the red head girl in the crew) is shown as a little kid with her sister and her mother. A pirate holds a gun up to their mothers forehead and laughs as he blows her brains out and the kids are watching. Don't see it directly... but you see their shadows on the ground... and Nami gets flecks of blood spattered on her.
    This scene is found in the manga here
    and
    here
    It's got some real brutality in the anime. It may give you the impression that it's all fun and games.. but there's some real nasty crap that goes down too.

4Kids... completely ripped all of that out. They just have her mother disappear and say she's been taken away.

You're absolutely right... the 4 kids crap utterly sucks... but that's because they rape the living fuck out of onepiece.

Personally, I'd recommend getting the kaizoku fansubs version. They're of outstanding quality and from the original japanese High def raws.

If you're wanting to read the manga... go here www.onepiecehq.com

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  4. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Thought I'd revive this due to the epicness of the latest chapter.
    Luffy seems to be planning to attack impel down single handedly whilst Sanji has found and island full of transvestites.

5. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

<_<

Boa Hancock. <3

6. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

If only it were a Seinen, Luffy needs to get laid...Boa should kin theory be easy...

7. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

dude...that program is for kids so they edit it, which is understandable here. I highly doubt parents would want there kids to be watching people blow others head off in cartoons.

8. Jon

I reccomend Funimation Dub, decent dub + DVD version is uncut. ^_^ and best yet? No Pirate Rap.

9. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

OI! I like that rap song. xD

10. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

The anime sucked when I watched it.

11. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    It still sucks, The Manga is good though.

12. CrashLTD

CrashLTD Fifth Year

Hey. I thought this thread got buried in all the other threads over the years. Anyway, I guess the story is starting to get real epic since a lot of characters who are only shown once in a while the whole manga are gonna get showcased. I guess with the Royal Shichibukai being recalled for Whitebeard's war, major kick ass is gonna happen. I just hope Shanks makes a lasting appearance for a few chapters rather than the cameos we get throughout the story.

13. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

What i'm trying to figure out is how the hell is Luffy gonna save his brother. He isn't really much of an infiltrator type but so far he does whatever it takes to get there once he puts his mind to it.

But the fact is, it's like he's walking into a den of starved lions, naked.

14. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As far as One Piece goes, the manga is vastly superior to the anime. I guess it's got it's fun moments, but what really irks me is the excess stupidity. I know it's the Japanese Hero Archtype, but please~~ Pirating is cool, but One Piece makes it fail. Also note the lack of death. Every boss villain Luffy eventually manages to beat after becoming serious due to some innocent civilian suffering after taking a 20-episode beating (95% of the fight scenes) are still alive. There's no death, which sucks.

As far as characters go, I hate nami. Boa Hancock is indeed nice, got the whole ice bitch snake seductress going. And she's hot. Even moreso than Robin. But I seriously detest Usopp.

I admit to reading all the manga chapters and watching some 250-ish episodes of anime, and it feels forced to such lenght. I still keep up with the updates, but only because of having nothing better to do.

15. Immolo

Immolo High Inquisitor

For anyone who cares, Funimation is now going to subbing the latest One Piece episodes every week like it does for Full Metal Alchemist. They will start broadcasting them this week only one hour after the Japanese air time. They will also be posting all the old episodes uncensored in English subtitled and dubbed(or at least all the shows that were actually dubbed by Funimation).

The announcement
    http://www.funimation.com/f_index.cfm?page=news&id=565

Where they are going to be streaming the episodes.
    http://www.onepieceofficial.com

16. Immolo

Immolo High Inquisitor

Update

"As anime fans know, FUNimation Entertainment planned under the authorization of Toei Animation, Fuji Television, Shueisha for the first ever online simulcast of the series ‘One Piece’ tonight at 9:00 pm CDT., just one hour after its premiere on Japan’s Fuji Television. Unfortunately, in the last 24 hours we have determined that the FUNimation servers were compromised, even though we employ strict security standards. An unknown individual accessed and posted episode 403 online and as a direct result of this illegal act, all U.S. and Canadian fans will be deprived of access to this great anime series for the immediate future. We will use the full extent of our efforts to locate and prosecute the perpetrators and will provide updates in this most serious matter."
    http://www.onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx

17. Jon

Massive Fail Event Detected.

18. Pandora

Pandora Muggle

Sounds like some people here need to start watching their anime subbed, lol. I understand that some people find it uncomfortable, but honestly, 90% of dubbed anime is such an appallingly poor representation of what it's supposed to be that I can't even be bothered with it anymore. The real One Piece anime goes off on a lot of annoying tangents and screws up the characterization now and then, but in general it's a lot better than most manga-based anime I've seen. It follows the manga quite closely, some of the filler is actually really good, and of course action scenes look much cooler.

And as everyone (who's read it) knows, the One Piece manga is God. Whether you plan on watching it subbed or dubbed, I'd strongly recommend reading it before watching the anime.

I love Hancock, lol. I definitely want to see more of her.

19. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    *looks around shiftily*

My god, my previous post sure was negative. Well, that was then. Right now, One Piece is one of my favourite mangas. I wait for it just as much, if not even moreso, than Bleach and Naruto.

Is it just me, or did the manga get alot better? The anime is still shit, though. And ALL dubs are failpieces of steaming apeshit.

But yeah, One Piece of going pretty cool at the moment.

20. Immolo

Immolo High Inquisitor