1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Orphan Black

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Ash, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I would recommend starting this series without googling it.

This show is absolutely amazing. Tatiana Maslany plays multiple characters, each one unique and distinctive.

Here is the trailer.

It has finished season 1, been renewed for a second season, and Tatiana has already won a Best Actress award at the Critics' Choice awards. All the awards for Tatiana, all the roles for her, too.

Anyone else watch it?

Serious spoilers for people who have:
    Holy shit, that ending with Helena. That particular character will be missed, but it was necessary. I am incredibly devastated that Cosima is sick, I don't want her to die :( I loved the Cosima/Delphine pairing, very bittersweet. Alison grew on me as well, I absolutely love her now. I am curious how Alison signing the contract vs the other two not doing so will differ.

2. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Watched it while it was airing and loved every minute. Unfortunately we have to wait nearly a year for season 2 (starting later in the calender, I think.)

I cannot recommend this show enough. Probably my favorite new show in a year that started a lot of great shows.

Some of my favorite scenes were with Alison, especially near the end of the season and she starts to completely unravel. Drunk Alice is best Alice.

Also, totally didn't think it would end up being her husband. Really made made the whole Aynesley situation even more brutal.

3. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

Been watching it since the day it came out. Loved every second of it. Tatiana Maslany has done an amazing job playing all of those characters, perfectly cast.

Pretty sure there was a scene of him burning stuff from "the box" in the basement and talking to someone over the phone about it, so I expected him to be the monitor all along.

But yeah all through that scene I was wondering how Alison will react when she finds out she killed her friend, not her monitor.

I also don't quite get the whole patent thing. Cloning is illegal iirc, so how can you patent something that you acquired illegally? Or maybe you can, I don't know shit about this stuff. But still, "they can claim Kira"? Wha-?

On that topic, I am really interested in finding out more about invincible!Kira.

I also loved the scenes with Vic, towards the end especially. The whole situation at Alison's house and the support group meeting.

I am still wondering why this is called Orphan Black. Any thoughts?

All in all, can't wait for next season. Highly recommended.

4. Ash

I was confused about that first bit too, actually.

It is presumably a reference to when Mrs Siobhan says "children in the black" were "undocumented, outside of the system...subjects of medical experiments".

Also, I really felt like they were enhancing the clones in varying ways, and I thought the 'code' was going to be the identifier. But that wasn't the case. Could just be 'nurture' I suppose but I can't help but feel like something might be going on there; at the least, Kira has some sort of abilities.

Cannot WAIT to find out some more answers!

5. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Yeah, I remember the scene, I was just expecting it to be a diversion. A secondary lie meant to make us assume he actually was the monitor. I mean, what kind of fool would leave that kind of stuff anywhere in the house?

6. KGB

KGB Headmaster

This show is crazy pants. It's like All of Dan Brown's novels were on the screen at the same time and directed by M. Night Shyamalan. And it's glorious, best show I've seen in ages.

There were so many opportunities for them to stretch out one story line into an entire season. The fact that they didn't makes this show so incredibly watchable that I might rewatch the entire season again. (probably also helped with some of the plotholes.)

7. Nae

Nae The Violent

High praise. Downloading.

8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Tatiana's performances are really what makes this show shine. You totally forget that the plot is utterly retarded whenever her characters are on screen. You also sometimes forget that the characters are the same actress, which is a testament to just how good she is.

Also relevant... her booty.

9. Ennead

Ennead Seventh Year

Yeah, she's probably the best part of the show (though I also like Felix as a character). There was a scene where Sarah and Helena were having a face off in a diner booth...the tension was palpable. Then you take a step back to realize that that was just Tatiana acting against an empty seat the whole time, and that makes it seem even more incredible. Every single character she plays is distinct.

The pseudo-science is a little hard to swallow, but I'm still enjoying the story. There's nothing better than a good conspiracy.

10. Nae

Nae The Violent

Saw the first season. Loved it! Thanks for the rec, guys. Pretty much what everyone here has said so far. Tatiana is awesome.

11. Infidel

Infidel Auror

So, watched the first season and enjoyed it a lot.

One of the interesting points raised by the plot is if minor changes in genetics can cause major changes in a persons personality. Is it just nurture or does nature provide such a major influence. Could the bar code and patent that they put in the DNA effect them? Considering that only Sarah was able to conceive and the respiratory problems some of the clones are having it seems likely.

12. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

I'm enjoying this show. As others have said, Tatiana Maslany is the best part of it. The plot is a bit thin at parts, but it's definitely better than a lot of what's out there. For me, it'd probably be a 4/5 so far, with a point dropped because so far (three episodes in) I don't feel completely sucked in, in that I don't have that instant desire to rush to the next episode after one ends.

However, it's definitely good, and I'll keep watching it.

13. Aeolus

Aeolus Muggle

Season 2 premiered last night and there is one shocker I sure didn't see coming!

Right now, this show is right up there with Walking Dead and Game of Thrones as my favorite TV show and it's all because of Tatiana Maslany's performance. She's just amazing. There are other things I like about the show, but IMO it would be above average if it wasn't for her playing all those different characters so convincingly and having amazing chemistry with the rest of the cast.

Also, for those who have not seen Season 1, it's on Amazon Prime.

14. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I watched Season One over the Easter weekend. Tatiana Maslany is fantastic. I still find myself with occasional doubts about the science and legal aspects of the show. I try to ignore those doubts for the sake of entertainment though. It's good stuff.

15. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Yea the power contracts have in that show is rivaled only by fanfiction. I do hope they move on from that soon enough. Bunch of religious zealots would serve as a much better antagonists. It would also save the show from crawling up it's own ass like Continuum did.

yak
  16. Rym

Rym Auror

I seriously can't thank you guys enough. I never would have heard of this show otherwise. I just binged the entire first season and I'm on the finale now. It's unbelievably good.

17. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Honestly, this is one of my favorite shows recently. Tatiana Maslany is crazy good and all the cast around her is A+ level [her brother, Mrs. S, etc].

18. Ash

I find myself thinking about each new episode all week, and I've been watching most of this season's episodes twice because a) so fucking good and b) so fucking much happens.

19. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I just started watching this show yesterday and have already caught up. I love it. Tatiana Maslany is so damn good that I always forget its the same actress playing all of these characters/

Does anyone know how the show is doing in the ratings? Well enough for us to get a season 3, I hope.

20. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I think it's comfortably getting renewed.