1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other Fandom Almost Recommendable: Barely Readable to Almost Good [Volume Two]

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Antivash, Aug 19, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's the problem with 90% of Evil!Fics in just about any fandom.

2. mortalone

mortalone Sixth Year

Is there a point to an evil Ichigo? The entire plot of Bleach is driven by Ichigo's desire to help people. I do not see any non-contrived reasons for any of the arcs in Bleach to even happen with evil!Ichigo.

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    You must be new around fanfiction.

4. Tarnished Blade

Tarnished Blade Professor

If you attempt to apply logic to fanfiction you will forever be disappointed.

If logic could be applied to fanfiction we wouldn't have stories of "surprise: its slash!" and mpreg "shit-babies" to shift through in search of decent readings.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  5. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Because it is amusing to see how the story would change with a radically different mindset. I am not saying the story is great or I like how Ichigo is written, but it is something different and that alone can make a bad fic something worth reading.

6. mortalone

mortalone Sixth Year

Okay, but then why didn't you recommend it as: "this is kind of trashy but lols worthy?" And for that matter, why is everyone acting like standards should not be applied to fanfiction? Isn't that the purpose of this forum and more specifically this thread? To identify the < 1% of fanfiction that is actually readable, and the 1% of the 1% that is actually "good?"

7. Audeamus

Audeamus Sixth Year

[​IMG]

This thread is specifically for fics that aren't library worthy, but some people might find enjoyable enough to occupy a few hours. You're preaching in the wrong thread.

8. Simplicity

Simplicity Third Year

Breaking the Cycle by theseeker64

A solid, decent length story with a relatively good update story. For those of you who have played Dark Souls, you would know that NG+ is a game mechanic. The premise of this story is
    Lordan is trapped in a constant cycle, with no matter how many chosen undead come, it just starts over after Gwyn's death

I read this and honestly quite enjoyed it, the character interactions were decently well done and the plot itself is interesting for the What If scenario. 4/5, but not sure if it'd be good enough to satisfy the requirements for Review.

9. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Where do babies come from in m-preg stories? Are they shit out or is there emergency surgery performed?

10. Tarnished Blade

Tarnished Blade Professor

I never forced my self to read to that point(or anywhere near that much), there called "shit babies" because the standard male has natural way to deliver a child, much less carry to term.

You want to find out how it works? Search for mpreg on fanfiction.net and read, but do keep your findings to yourself, eh?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  11. Audeamus

Audeamus Sixth Year

Undisclosed Operations: Broken Wings And Broken Bonds
    Author: The Distorted Shadow

Uzumaki Naruto was a professional, a true master in the art of assassination, he was Konoha's best. Then one day when preparing for his next mission, he suddenly found himself pulled to another reality where aliens psychically bond to humans and then fight in a battle royal engulfing an entire city... well Naruto was never one to play by the rules anyway so why start now?
    Rated: Fiction M - English - Naruto U. - Chapters: 6 - Words: 36,495 - Reviews: 294 - Favs: 686 - Follows: 714 - Updated: 11-04-13 - Published: 10-08-13 - id: 9749101

Sekirei/Naruto crossover, albeit you can scratch the Naruto bit off and treat it more like a Sekirei fic with a very competent OC lead. It's a spin off from the author's other fic, but it can stand alone. I hadn't read the latter and was easily able to follow all the Naruto aspects(lacking as they are) in the story.

As for the fic itself, it's a mildly interesting story with some fun character interactions (Naruto and Miya for example). The main concern I have is how the author will add any suspense to the story with how powerful the NarutoOC is.

It also updates at a steady pace and all-in-all I'd say it's a great way to knock off some hours from the day.

12. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

28. Tony's New Assistant » by MarbleGlove reviews
    A trickster god does not go about acquiring power by brute force. AKA, the one where, instead of becoming a supervillain when he fell to Earth, Loki somehow ended up as Tony Stark's personal assistant.
    Crossover - Ironman & Thor - Fiction Rated: T - English - General - Chapters: 38 - Words: 29,388 - Reviews: 388 - Updated: 9-15-13 - Published: 5-24-12 - A. E. Stark/Tony, Loki - Complete

This story is pure guilty plesure. Has some clishês like Darcy Levis SHIELD agent but overall I liked the story.

So here is the question Is there any good stories out there similar to this where Loki is main character and good guy (relatively speaking)

13. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I like it so far, but there's definitely some Slash undertones I've been picking up on. Nothing against, just not my cup of tea. Should I expect the undertones to materialize into a pairing, Tasoli?

14. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

No not at all. I got the same impression as you at first but it doesn't go anywhere so it can be ignored. Most you get a little weird language.

The part I like about this story is HFY tones of the story. If anyone were to see a HFY story in Avenger MCU I would like links.

15. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

Read it. I liked it but the ending seemed rushed. Looking for Loki stories you have to watch out for a crapload of slash and Whump(if that's what they call it). I've read a couple stories I didn't think were terrible though.

Life in Reverse
    By: Min Daae

Home is where you make it. Or, the AU where Loki falls to Earth after Thor, wanders around trying to work out what to do with himself, and somehow ends up working for SHIELD. Mostly because supervillains are so plebian.
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Loki - Chapters: 19 - Words: 92,139 - Reviews: 407 - Favs: 578 - Follows: 742 - Updated: Oct 28 - Published: Aug 3, 2012 - id: 8390621

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8390621/1/Life-in-Reverse

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  16. Hal

Hal Professor

In Utopia, Nowhere
    By: Serymn
    "You will learn how to destroy worlds and make them anew, and be god, creator, overlord. You will become me, I will live in you, until we finally watch the first dawn alight our new world." [Madara and Obito spend a long, long time in that world of genjutsu. Chapter 606, expanded.]
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Fantasy - Obito U./Tobi, Madara U. - Words: 6,235 - Reviews: 3 - Favs: 9 - Published: Oct 26 - Status: Complete - id: 9795284

17. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Any recommendable pokemon stories of late?

18. Rym

Rym Auror

Ghost Touch by Evan Toe -- Original Fiction.

Not sure how to summarize more without spoiling things, tbh. Maybe someone else can do a better job. For full disclosure, I'm the author. The story's relatively new (only about 15k words so far), so I doubt it's really ready to be put up for review - or if it's good enough for that matter. With the first Arc coming to a close tomorrow night, I figured I'd post it up here. See what people thought. It's definitely different than anything else I've written.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  19. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I enjoyed it. You've already read my comments on your site. For everyone else though:

Setting: Near-future cyberpunkish.
    Protagonist: Rainey. A street kid, grifter, and hitch-hiker who has a terrible superpower.

I've put a bit more into the synopsis below. I don't think the spoilers are bad seeing as I tried to be oblique and we're only 15k into the story, but I'll use spoiler tags anyway.

It's a near-future cyberpunkish setting. The Valtronic Corporation invented Vert, a new drug that allows you to jack into a virtual representation of the internet... well, deeper than that, all electronic devices, perhaps even into brains. [note: Human brains are supposedly unhackable due to their complexity. There's no mention of whether simple animal brains are susceptible. Is an insect, fish, or mouse too complex?]

I'm getting away from myself, so the main character is Rainey: a self-reliant street kid, grifter, and hitch-hiker who has a terrible superpower. People who touch her don't remember her the next day. After making a mistake, she's suddenly attracting all of the wrong kinds of attention; now her life is on the line.

---------- Post automerged at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:48 ----------

Rymrock: Any chance of adding an RSS feed to your Wordpress site? That's how I followed Worm. I might follow by email subscription if I could figure out how to do it.

Rym
  20. Rym

Rym Auror

Added a link to the RSS feed on the bottom of the page and in the About section. I love my wordpress theme, but it only supports one menu. So any other links are forced to the very bottom of the website -- not the greatest thing in the world, but not much I can do about it without paying money.

Thanks for the added synopsis, Yak. I think that helps people get a better grip of the storyline.

Not open for further replies.