1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other Fandoms Almost Recommendable: Barely Readable to Almost Good [Volume the First]

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Rhys, May 11, 2010.

Not open for further replies.
  1. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Yeah, I'm just going to pretend Steadfast is the official In Flight story. Least something happens and hell, they gave Kazewhater a character.

2. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

I read this recently too, noticed it being pimped in the Worm comments. I think it has the potential to be very good, though a fair treatment is going to need substantial length I think, considering how slowly it's progressed so far.

3. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

That's what happens when someone calls out these characters on their bullshit. Through all of In Flight, not a single person ever seriously told Tsukiumi how ridiculous her marriage schtick sounded, or aggressively disagreed with Kazehana about anything. All the Sekirei called Shirou an idiot at some point, and for good reasons, but it didn't matter at all. He'd just keep being an idiot and they'd all move on with their lives.

After so many chapters of that exact thing happening, I stopped thinking about how absurd they all acted. And then Rin and Saber show up in Steadfast, and everything is suddenly and painfully snapped back into perspective.

Now there's personal conflict, and now these characters can develop at least a little.

4. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    That or Saber can kill these stupid whore aliens for mind fucking her man. Or maybe I'm just biased in rage ><

5. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

A question; what makes Sekirei fandom different from other harem fics? When I look at it I see the Witches secret... only you know published.

Not that I read the original.

6. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Absolutely nothing, it's just that GB did a very popular FSN crossover for it. Pretty much the same reason that ZnT got popular, although that one had legs due to including an easy crossover and having a setting with potential as opposed to pokemon with boobs.

7. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

8. SmileOfTheKill

I don't even like Bleach all that much but this fic was found and it is great.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9421314/1/Swinging-Pendulum

""Too dangerous to live," Central 46 declares. Locked up in Muken with half-healed wounds and helpless rage, Ichigo gets another chance to save his fellow Visored when the Spirit King whisks him away and offers him a deal. He accepts and promptly gets his ass dumped in the past. Like, WAY back in the past. Ichigo really should be used to impossible things happening to him by now."

It is a well done time travel story, still early overall but everything done as a setup has been great so far.

9. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I found the beginning to be pretty crap [eg. the Spirit King's mission speech], but after chapter one it improves... or at least there's less aggravating bits. It was a good read.

10. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

I wanna like that story, but the author has a history of writing over-powered angst-filled time-travel stories and not finishing them.

11. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

My opinion on this hasn't changed at all. The premise is the very definition of a deus ex machina and I think Ichigo's reading into the Spirit King's words a little too much, but it's a good fic.

It's slow, but methodically so. There's a lot of interesting build up and character development going on, and I haven't read a truly boring paragraph yet (excluding the crap with the King in the first chapter).

It's emotional without getting angsty, as a time traveling Ichigo normally does. Each character's perspective is well thought out, and there hasn't been a truly insufferable internal monologue so far.

All in all, I'd suggest it's library material, but it's way too early for that. Swinging Pendulum has a long road ahead of it, by the looks of things.

12. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It's the kind of story where I don't really care if the author finishes it. There's no compelling plot or brilliantly realised characters, but what's there is fun while it lasts. I'm not confident that the story is heading in a direction I'd continue to enjoy anyway.

There is a substantial amount of angst, but that's not terribly out of place considering the situation. It was poorly executed though, so I mostly skipped past it.

It's a perfect fit for Almost Rec.

13. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

That's an interesting start to a story; first chapter's kind of bad, but the second and third make it worth watching.

14. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Agree with both Sin Saori and Yak.

The angst feels natural and part of this is because Ichigo's way of dealing with it is being irritated and bitter (without actually blaming other people). He just doesn't want anything to do with people he used to know in the future. Which leads more to a comical interaction with other people than one that is annoyingly angsty.

The hardest part of fics like this is how to basically take the plot from here. All this is tension building and that needs to eventuate to something. For instance, another fic I read did it in a pretty terrible way - it had everyone experience the big reveal at the same time. Aizen cackled maniacally as he told everyone his plan, Ichigo saved the day but let Aizen escape...exactly what is left after that?

I don't think you'd even think about considering it library material until an actual plot eventuates.

15. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Already put these in the Quality Naruto Fics thread but this is fine too.

For a Season
    As far as Sakura's concerned, she has more than a paycheck coming to her after being personally requested by the Mizukage and shipped off to Mist as part of a diplomatic deal. After all, a team of painfully green medics is one thing, but she draws a line at tetchy, old hunter-nin. Crack, character study, crack, friendship, and crack.

Something that got recc'd to me not that long ago. It's nothing special but makes for an alright time waster. And despite the emphasis on crack in the summary, the story itself isn't that crackish.

The Broken Tool
    Haku is alive, barely, after the battle at the bridge. With his master, Zabuza, dead and a team of vengeful hunter ninja close on his trail can he hope to last long? Haku X female OC. Complete

A old fic now but still enjoyable, I think. Probably not something you'd typically read but I found this a few years back and, as a Haku fan, I'd say this is one of the best fics that involve him as a main character. It also has a sequel that I'm still following.

The Place Beyond
    Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. Hashirama/Mito, one-shot.

A rather long one-shot covering the lives of Mito and Hashirama immediately after Madara's death and Mito become the Kyuubi Jinchuuriki.

16. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It is quite interesting, actually. Really like Ichigo's character and his interaction with the others. The way he handles himself and his power should be pretty interesting and it also hits the humour of Bleach pretty well. Am interested as to where this will lead, definitely following this. Once it picks up more chapters of the same quality, could be library worthy at time. Sure, the beginning is weak, as no one can make the plot point of "powerful entity appears and dumps someone in X" good but after that, quite enjoyable.

17. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Heritage of Zestra III
    The story of how a girl was turned into Dreadnought to travel trough the Imperium alongside a Techmarine to restore his destroyed Chapter to it's former glory. Read to find out where the Emperor leads them.
    Warhammer - Rated: T - English - Sci-Fi/Drama - Chapters: 14 - Words: 53,484 - Reviews: 44 - Updated: 3-11-12 - Published: 7-6-11

Okey this is a Warhammer story which I liked but since I am such a sucker for the stories where lead characters try to build -or re-build in this case- something in the grimm darkness of the 40k I wasn't sure if it was the library worthy.

It is also pretty dead.

On the other hand if you can SOD the starting parts it gets somewhat good and there in no unnecessery angst(there is some neccessery parts tough).

Over all I think this is perfect for here.

18. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

With Swinging Pendulum, I agree that it's definitely a good read. Though, as with all Cywscross's stories, I doubt this will ever go beyond this basic plot point. That guy literally just writes the beginning of a plot bunny, develops it slightly, and leaves it as that. A shame, but it's something I've come to expect for all his stories. They are fun to read though while it lasts.

19. SmileOfTheKill

Steadfast updated.

In Flight that split from chapter 38 or 39, hell if I remember what one. Wait, let me get the synopsis.

Chapter 38 then. It updated. In Flight by people that follow canon! Look what happens when logic and reason is applied to a story that doesn't have any!

Latest chapter attempts to explain some of the most stupid thing gabriel did, the path of bad characterization (Shira or something). Saber isn't competitively balanced like gabriel forced Shirou to be so she looks to be proper. Instead of being completely flippant for the rest of the post, I will clarify. Shirou is competitively balanced in In Flight. No matter how strong he should stomp, every fight he will basically loose till he wins. Like every horrible Shoenen show ever. This ends up making him seem massively weak and stupid. Saber not having to follow gabriel horrible characterization or balancing makes me like this story more than I care to admit.

So yeah, at this point this story is my In Flight canon. This is completely true after the latest chapter of In Flight where gabriel said he learned the importance of pacing.

20. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

Not open for further replies.