1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other Fandoms Timeloop Fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Sechrima, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

So I just finished re-reading Mother of Learning (which is an excellent story) lately, and it's put me in the mood to read something with a similar premise. I've also started drafting a science fiction timeloop story of my own, but that's not immediately relevant.

I've read Time Braid (great) and Chunin Exam Day (terrible), both of them in the Naruto fandom.

But that's about it for this type of story. Has anyone got some recommendations in other fandoms, or original works?

2. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's a My Little Pony fic, but there's Hard Reset. Basically it's like Groundhog Day meets Die Hard. And interestingly it continues after the time loop ends for a bit and shows the effect something like that might have on someone. However, it's got a Twilight/Luna relationship thing going on that might throw a reader off.

As for original works, well, there's Groundhog Day of course. Also Edge of Tomorrow. And it's a bit of a spoiler since it's only revealed later, but...

Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

3. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Steins;Gate is fantastic, and while I haven't watched the anime adaption of Cross+Channel, the VN was pretty good. It's also a fairly common mechanic in video-game!Fics, if you can stomach those. Otherwise, check here and here.

4. fire

fire Order Member

There is no anime adaptation of cross+channel.

The VN (translated) was good, but still apparently complete horseshit compared to the original.

5. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

There isn't? Then what the fuck did I... Man, I don't even know anymore.

Possible hallucinations aside, the official translations and ports were probably censored to hell. According to TVtropes, they even removed the panty shots. Cross+Channel was pretty fucked up, to the point that I'd be amazed if a censored version even made sense.

6. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

Styx confirmed traveler from parallel dimension.

7. Callagan

Callagan Fourth Year

First off, Cross+Channel has two different unofficial translations and no official translation. Both translations lose a lot of what makes the Japanese version so renowned.

The Amaterasu translation was the team's first project, and it shows.

George Henry Shaft is probably legitimately insane, and it definitely shows in his translation. If you accidentally got it, you are in for a ride.

8. fire

fire Order Member

Cross+Channel is already intrinsically hard to localize into English, but yeah, Ixrec's translations are clunky and mechanical - while GHS's translation, I've heard, was like a Niagara fall of ratshit.

I'm surprised a lot of people here have read C+C though. VNs are pretty niche already, and C+C itself isn't all that popular amongst the English VN community.

Edit: To make sure I contribute meaningfully to this thread.

@Sechrima

I second Steins;Gate (the VN, but the anime is great too). You might want to try Muv-Luv Alternative, but it's more peggy sue than looping.

There's also Looper.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  9. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Do You Remember Love by Digifruit is good if you enjoy Naruto/Sakura romances.

In terms of original fiction, there's Ken Grimwood's Replay and All You Need is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka.

10. astus

astus First Year

If you are familiar with Ranma 1/2 then Right Moments by Judah is one of my favorites.

11. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria is a pretty fucking awesome/insane light novel which has this concept in the first volume. There are seven volumes in total and it has been fully translated.

12. fire

fire Order Member

Ah yes, how could I forget Hakomari. Far and above the best light novel ever written.

Warning, though - Volume 1 (the timeloop arc) can be difficult to read, the non-linear events hard to keep track of.