1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Out of the Fire and into the Cupboard

Discussion in 'Humor' started by Arrowjoe, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

Title: Out of the Fire and into the Cupboard
    Author: HalfASlug
    Rating: T
    Genre: Humor
    Library Category: Humor
    Pairings: H/G, R/Hr (not reallllly relevant anyways), G/A.M. (extremely relevant)
    Summary: There's a reason that adults don't usually play hide and seek - especially when they are nothing more than overgrown children.

Linky

There was some disscussion in the Almost Recommended thread on this fic, mostly focused on if it was long enough to be Library worthy. Personally think the length shouldn't matter, expecially when it's something this funny.

5/5 from me, haven't actually laughed out loud from a fic in quite some time and this one had me chuckling all the way through.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  2. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

It was very sweet and very funny, all character were, if not spot on, at least believable. All it set out to do, it did great, and it even made me like Ginny! The finale was predictable and this story and the premise were not the mother originality, nevertheless, it did whatmwanted to do. The length was perfect for what it set out to do. A definite 5/5.

3. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

Beautiful. I read the excerpts in Almost Recommended and didn't find myself laughing out loud for obvious reasons, but taken as a whole it had me in stitches. Characterisation was on-point, and the jokes speak for themselves. :D

5/5 for the climax alone.

4. Stan

Stan Order Member

This was unexpectedly hilarious. I have rarely seen canon pairings work out so well. Between this and the update to Strangers at Drakeshaugh, maybe there's hope for the HG and RHr pairings after all.

5/5, for displaying the best of Ginny and making me LOL a couple of times.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  5. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Yep, I like this one a lot. Brevity is the soul of wit.

I'd give this a 4/5, because the bit at the end was just a little bit too cute and obvious, but that's pretty minor compared to the fact that the characters were spot on, the dialogue was sharp, and the jokes made me laugh. Definitely belongs in the hallowed halls of the Humor section of the Library.

6. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

I haven't laughed this much reading a fanfiction since the first time I read Nonjon's fics. (Admittedly, his have the bonus of being longer)

Characterization felt true to canon. No noticeable spelling/grammar mistakes. Somehow I didn't even want to punch Ginny while reading this.

Easy 5/5 from me.

7. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Short, sweet and funny. Everything it needs. 5/5

8. Russano

Russano Disappeared

Very enjoyable. Definitely deserves a spot for what it is.

9. Spyder

Spyder Third Year

Yeah - don't get it. Pretty predictable slapstick that I kept waiting to amuse me. Still waiting.

10. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Utterly brilliant. 5/5 from me.

11. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    I found it amusing enough, but didn't laugh or chuckle somehow, so it'll be a 4/5 for me.

12. blkitty

blkitty Squib

Just okay. 3/5.

13. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    5/5 for me.

The story touches on all the right things to make it what it's supposed to be, and doesn't linger on them too long. Sure, there's some cliched points of laughter, but they're done well. There's also a familial sweetness to the fic without sending me into sugar-shock.

Beyond that, all of the characters were in character and stayed that way. For the set up, the entire short story was believable. And beyond all of that, there were very few mechanical/storytelling errors.

14. irvken

irvken Squib

High Score:
    I liked it. It was very sweet and the characterisations were believable as well as the character’s relationships towards each other. The premise was good and I had a smile on my face the whole way through.

The story felt a little obvious, fairly predicable but otherwise short and sweet. It does what it set out to do, a little slice into post-war family life, past the angst-y upset and into the happier future. I liked the positive mention of Fred.

It borders on overly sweet but ultimately I think the humour saves it.