1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Overwatch

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Nemrut, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Blizzard's new game, Beta has started.

Has anyone gotten in? Unfortunately, I haven't, would love to hear how it plays. Apparently, it's supposed to be pretty fun.

Pretty psyched for the game.

2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I haven't either. I've also avoided watching the dozens of Overwatch streams popping up, because I know I'd get mad jealous and mad.

Overwatch looks fun. Not sure if it can stay that way for an extended period of paying, but there's only one way to figure that out, isn't there?

Can't wait to try it out.

3. Nemrut

High Score:
    It's going to be free to play, right?

4. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Also known as the only game with the potential to keep me away from Rocket League. I didn't get in the beta but there are going to be more invites coming in, and soon, supposedly. Fingers crossed!

I watched Jesse Cox and Day9's streams and the game sure looks like a lot of fun. There seems to be a "class" for every taste, too, which will help keep things fresh, but the maps all look kinda same-y and the objectives are the standard ones of the genre. Still in early beta, though, so anything could happen.

And yeah, it should be free.

5. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

I played overwatch at last years blizzcon when it was announced.

It was all i did at the con, just rotating the line over and over and over. I did it in a group of 5-8 people, and it was so much goddamn fun.

The game was amazing when it was first announced. I played mostly Pharrah and Mercy (the girl with the jetpack and the rocketlauncher, and the healer girl who can grapple to people), and I spent hours playing that game and having fun.

I want to get into the beta so badly to see how its improved since then. The way the game is setup makes for both a really fun casual experience, as well as what could be a truly good esport.

Probably the most fun experience was when my group got queued up against the EG heroes of the storm team. We completely crushed them, so badly that they never even left their base the entire time they were on offense.

The maps are actually more fun then you'd think, because theyre BIGGER then you'd think. They're very three dimensional, so good widowmakers (the sniper who has a grapplehook that latches onto objects) can get setup VERY well in a lot of places you wouldn't expect, and the characters that can move vertically better (like Hanzo or Pharah) actually can make a strong advantage out of their movement. The more defensive characters (Tornbjorn and Bastion, the two turret archetypes) are also really skill based in their positioning, and have other aspects to make them not just "drop turrets and run lolz". Bastion's ultimate ability is a remote controlled mine that does shit tons of damage and can be really lulzy.

We had one dude playing Tracer most every game, and he found a lot of ways to take shortcuts over cliffs/over ledges that most other characters jumps couldnt reach, that made her triple blink mobility actually really fun. She's probably one of the harder skill based characters to play well imo, and if/when this becomes a pro game it won't surprise me if she becomes one of the more commonly played characters.

The one thing that bothered me about the game as an esport though, is at the time you could change what character you were playing in the middle of the match. It would bring you back to your starting area, but you could freely switch. I asked one of the dev's, and he said that wasn't just a test feature, but something they had planned on keeping implemented at all times. I think that makes team comps less important, which means long term strategizing for various maps is less important then tactical play, and I don't like that.

But the game was fucking awesome, and next week when I go back to blizzcon again I'll probably be in the line for 2 days straight again. Probably hammered like I was last year. So if you go, and see a guy highfiving everyone in a Vigil guild shirt, thats me.

6. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Blizzcon is soon, right? The game looks feature complete, maybe an Open Beta --> Launch thing will be started then a la HOTS.

I'm super hyped. Really reminds me of Quake and UT, but with way more character.

I'm def Team Tracer btw. She's the closest thing to Leblanc I can get in an FPS, lol.

7. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Gonna be working at Blizzcon this year. Will be interesting to see what gets hyped the most.

8. Gengar

High Score:
    Hook a brother up with a beta code babe.

9. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

Blizzcon is next week, yeah.

10. Nemrut

High Score:
    Don't think there are any codes or keys, they just open accounts themselves.

11. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

I've got a blizzard tour next wednesday, and the 5 of us on it plan on begging for overwatch beta the whole time.

And yeah, they just activate your account. As far as I can tell, having an active twitch account you stream on, no matter how small the amount of people you stream to, seemed to be the easiest way to get into the beta so far.

12. Zulfurium

Zulfurium Squib

Overlook looks awsome, really looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

13. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

I've been playing for a bit. It plays very similarly to TeamFortress2.

There are four archetypes: Offence, Defence, Tank, Support.
    Each one has 4 unique heroes.

Each hero has a leftshift ability, an E ability and a Q ultimate ability. Some heroes have a mouse 2 or an alternate weapon ability.

I've tried all heroes and they all feel different enough from each other to not be bland and boring.

I've not played enough to make up my mind about it yet, but it does not really bring something new and unique to the genre.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  14. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I hate this thread. Mainly because when I read the beta was on, I checked my email and their was no invite even though I'm signed up :/

But seriously, tracer seems to fit my MO pretty well. All FPS games I play I usually am always fast paced running around with SMGs and shit, even when everyone else is quickscoping with their skillz.

Not saying its better, the opposite really, but I just love the fast paced game play close quarters gives so really hyped for Tracer and her gap closing abilities.

15. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

never bother with your email, always go to battle.net and see if its on your game management list.

It will show up there far faster then you will get an email.

Also remember with Tracer, she has drastically less hp then a lot of other characters, so you cant just run into someones face and expect to not die.

16. Gengar

High Score:
    Big news!

Gamestop (not a typo, the shop) has revealed Overwatch is coming to PS4 and Xbone, full priced ($60) with a placeholder date of December 2016 (which just means 'some time next year' most of the time).

Blizzard confirmed and said to tune into Blizzcon tomorrow for the PC stuff.

SUPER curious if it'll have the same pricing model.

17. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    D8

Why you do this to my wallet, blizzard. Now I'll have to buy it for the PS4. Why why why why why why~~~

18. Ankan

Ankan Professor

Didn't they already say it would be free for PC?

19. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I really wouldn't mind paying full price for Overwatch.

Death to micro-transactions.

20. Gengar

High Score:
    I'd put money on the model being a full priced game with 'extras' (weapon/ character/ ability skins) being purchaseable via a dual currency system (Real Money and In-Game Money).

Characters, maps and updates will be free, because they're smart enough not to split their player base.