1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Overwatch

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Nemrut, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I WANT A PVE OVERWATCH GAME

2. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

So I'm playing the Retribution event as Moira, and on the harder difficulties all three of the other players get knocked out because they routinely dive straight into freshly deployed groups of soldiers, usually directly facing an Enforcer (the shotgun guys) so they get caught in the crossfire.

One of the boneheads says, "Moira, try healing."

Okay, jackass, let me explain a few facets of reality to you.

1. Moira can only do so much healing before she runs out of juice. She can refill this energy faster by draining vitality out of enemies. Moira, by design, has to be aggressive and spend a fair amount of time dealing damage, or else she cannot heal at all, no matter how much her player wants to. I've fallen prey to over-healing as Moira and try not to repeat that mistake: You over-heal, and soon you won't be healing anyone. Asking her to continuously heal when she, in fact, cannot, won't make it happen.
    2. Moira can't heal stupidity. Stop jumping directly into the barrel of the Enforcer's shotgun, while he's surrounded by a group of Troopers; that's suicide.
    3. Moira can't heal someone who has been knocked out, which is what happens about one second after you deep throat the aforementioned shotgun, while surrounded by a trooper bullet bukkake.
    4. If a Heavy Assault enemy is sitting on top of Genji, McCree, and Reaper's knocked out bodies, squishy Moira is not going to tank his withering streams of gunfire, solo, so she can revive you. It's not happening. You failed your team. Game over.
    Barring the suicidal idiots, Retribution is kind of fun. I think I like it a bit better than Uprising, since you're continuously moving and it seems to play faster.

3. Gengar

High Score:
    Moira is my favourite healer atm.

The healing kind of reminds me of my dosc priest in WoW too. Great burst heals, not sustain. Can't waste.

Doing Retribution as Hanzo is super fun too. Or the Bastion Defence Force comp, lol

4. buzzer

buzzer Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I agree that this year's event is better than last year's, it's just a shame that I'm terrible at both McCree and Genji so it's almost impossible to win on expert/legendary if I'm on either of those heroes. But that's what the all heroes mode is for and it's fun messing around with stupid team comps trying to escape.

5. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    New D.Va cinematic and new map.

Really liked the video, cool to see the mech fight.

6. Gengar

High Score:
    They're adorable! Loved it!

7. FlyingOctopus

FlyingOctopus Third Year

I don't know exactly what about the short it is, but I feel it's kind of underwhelming compared to the others. It just didn't give me the same kind of awe or excitement of Dragons or the feels of Mei's or Reinhardt's. I think I'd rate it on the same scale as 76's Hero, maybe a bit better but I didn't find it all that amazing.

8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's not much emotionality to it. The others each have a few moments designed to wrench at you in some way. This was mostly just action. And D.Va brand Doritos.

9. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It feels very childish? I dunno. Like the lines feel like they belong in a soap opera, or daytime television.

10. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Got this POTG last night as bastion. Don't hate me for having the golden gun on him.

11. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

When you do placement matches late at night and you are like 1 level above everyone else, than add another level, than add another level, and you are so many levels above your late night queues and people are bitching at you and at you thinking you are shit but you are like wtf why aren't you fuckers chasing 1 Zarya when there is 5 of us but you fuckers are keen on camping on one point for 'reasons'.

Poggers solo queue late night games. FML.

12. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Ignoring that last post I can't even remember making, does anyone still play? I feel like overwatch is in a delicate state. Overall the game has died playerbase wise beyond the regular players, if you argue otherwise you read too many blizzard propaganda posts.

It sucks because I love this game so fucking much.

Read: So fucking much.

The thing I am confused/hoping (see: hoping <---) is that there has been dev posts about the fact that the current Overwatch game is not what the devs had envisioned overwatch to be. So... that's great I guess? They talk a big game. So does every other developer as well. The current game is great/shit depending on your perspective of what the current game is. You can say it's not what you envisioned it to be, but that fact remains that it is what it currently is.

The problem? The launch date of the game was 2016. So the game is currently 3 years old, if the current state of multiplayer and events isn't the final release of the product, what is? (Ignoring new maps/heroes etc) I don't know what they mean when they talk about what overwatch can potentionaly be since we have seen nothing new. A singleplayer campaign? Good for a short term boost, even if I don't see it being a good campaign. All these event stories aren't anything special, very cookie cutter with zero challenge at all. What else is there? An MMO? That seems extremely farfetched and I couldn't see how it would work, and to reiterate, extremely extremely farfetched.

So question for those who still play, is the current overwatch all it will every be? A couple new maps and a couple new heroes a year? A.k.a. MOBA but insert FPS perspective and no creeps? If they are thinking to mimick LoL/etc they are a long way off of that success. It's clear unlike the traditional moba Overwatch hasn't retained it's popularity with new heroes and new maps.

So... is this Overwatch? A slow death? Or do they have something in the bag they haven't released yet? If you read Dev posts it would seem to suggest so, but thats all it is, suggestions. No proof.

13. Gengar

High Score:
    I hate fps, her Overwatch is one of my all-time favourite games.

Problem is, I tolerate pvp. I only played as long as i did because i love the characters and the way the game feels.

Three years with nothing worthy in the way of pve, and a dull/repetitive pvp mode killed my desire to play.

I'm so tired of Blizzard's hard-on for e sports. They're not good at it, and they spunk so much money and resources away on it every year.

The current state of Overwatch makes me sad, because i look at Destiny and imagine what Titan should have been - something that revolutionised the 'looter-shooter' genre like they've done in the past in other genres.

14. buzzer

buzzer Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I haven't played much since the release of Apex which I can play with my friends. I don't really enjoy playing the game anymore, but I'm looking forward to the new archives event as I enjoyed the previous two so I'll definitely go back for that.

However, I am enjoying the Overwatch League and watch all the games that London Spitfire play as well as the stage finals.

15. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I had consistently played the game for 3 years but kinda stopped in the last 2 months so don't really know what is currently going on at all outside of the event happening soon, mainly because for me, the shine kinda went out. What drew me into Overwatch were the characters, the feel they conveyed and the interesting world. Well, in 3 years, they have barely delivered anything regarding lore and nothing regarding story and character building and as to gameplay, well games could be really fun but they could also be really frustrating. On a super subjective level, my favorite character lost her favorite ability a while ago and there doesn't seem to be any coming back of that any time soon so that also added a bit to my loss of motivation.

I dunno, I will probably try it again with the new event and decide how I feel about it then. Maybe I will play periodically, maybe I will delete the game then.

It was rather fun overall, still digging the concept. Just wish they would deliver more story and focus less on the OWL and pro level stuff. Always felt like they were prioritizing the pro level players rather than the vast majority of their playerbase.

16. Gengar

High Score:
    I'd argue they try to please everyone, and thus ultimately no one - combine that with OWL wastage.

17. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
  18. Gengar

High Score:
    It'll certainly be interesting to see what people do with it.

19. Gengar

High Score:
    Ok I'm getting excited[​IMG]

20. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, if it's ONLY pve I probably won't bother getting it.