1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Parallels in Harry Potter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by radm94, Jul 23, 2017.

1. radm94

radm94 First Year

High Score:
    Recently, I was thinking about the way Dumbledore's character as perceived by Harry changes through the books.

I think it has an interesting parallel with the relationship that children share with their grandparents.

In the first couple of books, Harry thinks of Dumbledore as a stalwart figure -- respectable, pure. Someone to be looked up to. Faultless. Someone who gives good advice. Respected by the elders, and hence to be respected by him.

As he grows older, through books three to five, and embarks on his journey through adolescence, and starts to think more for himself, he discovers that Dumbledore isn't all that. He had his faults. He had his biases. He had his own way of thinking. He wasn't perfect. He was only human. Sometimes his actions angered him. But he is able to get over these newly perceived flaws and is able to maintain a good relationship with him.

At the age of 16, he loses Dumbledore.

Beyond that, he discovers stuff from Dumbledore's old friends. He discovers more flaws. He discovers more history. Some people only saw the facade that Dumbledore kept up to people who weren't related to him. He has trouble keeping up, but ultimately his friendship with this figure rises above any and all troubling revelations.

Thoughts? Do you have any interesting parallels that you noticed, too?

2. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or, in other words, you found that kids idolize powerful/important figures in their lives and as they grow older and mature they grow out of it. That's not a parallel that's just how life works.

3. radm94

radm94 First Year

High Score:
    I thought it was more interesting than that, because Dumbledore has been very often referred to as Harry's grandfatherly figure (though definitely more by the fandom). There were more reasons than his just being old, in my opinion.

4. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In many ways, that is an expression of the way we all grow to become younger colleagues to our parents. Once we're into adulthood, they are in many ways fellow travelers.

5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A similar thread from last year presented some interesting points.