1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Path of Exile

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Nuit, May 10, 2012.

1. Absolutista

Absolutista Fifth Year

Bump for justice. Great game. Im seriously hooked up on it. Anyone still playiing?

2. Seraphim

Seraphim Third Year DLP Supporter

Oke pretty big necro here but I think it is warranted.

Path of Exile Is releasing it's new expansion on July 10 and I'm pretty excited about it and I wanted to share it with you.

In this expansion there will be a new act you can explore about a dozen new skill gems to play with and around a hundred new unique items.

they also added some real nice Quality of life improvements, one of which is the ability to use lockstep mode which means no more de-sync in that mode, and they've greatly improved the normal predictive mode as well, which means greatly enhanced experience for everyone.

They have also added loot filters with which you can change the way the loot is shown on your screen after it dropped, for example you could remove all white items if you are so inclined.
    You could also change the colors of the text background and border, make the text bigger or smaller, change the opacity and add extra sounds so you definitely recognize everything you want to pick up and what not to pick up

As per usual they're adding two new leagues to the game for a limited amount of time which are called Warbands and Tempest.
    I just found out about these but from what I can tell so far they sound a lot of fun.

I've had a small break from the game but I'm always keeping my on it and ever since the closed beta I have been coming back repeatedly when I'm bored with everything else

I hope you'll try this game again because I think it deserves it, and I think you won't regret it.

3. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ah, so we have a date? Cool.

I've played this game a few times, gotten three characters into mapping, but I never really just went through with it. Expansion does seem to be all kinds of awesome. I'm almost finished with my single player rpg backlog, so looks like this and Diablo 3's 2.3 will be competing for my mmo arpg game.

Honestly, I feel like I like PoE more than D3, the lore is pretty amazing, but D3 is much easier to get into and just casually play. I'm hoping that the expansion makes PoE fun enough to care to learn the super complex system.

4. Sephiroso

Sephiroso Disappeared

They pushed back the planned wipe on the beta servers from the 1st(Wednesday) to Friday. It's highly unlikely that it'll be ready by the 10th, but GGG might surprise us.

I've been pretty hyped about this expansion though. Mainly, the loot filter and other good changes like gem vendors for instance. Not sure which league i'll be focusing on at the start but i'll definitely be playing one of the two, if not both.

5. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Hmm, have a long time guild that I'm currently the leader of, with Dullahan, Zerg(recent), and a few other friends and a few DLP'ers. Not that it matters, really, but if you want an invite, then give me your info to do so. Dullahan and Zerg are frequently playing even now, but Khelevaster and myself will be more common at the Beta. Not sure about others.

For what little it's worth, we've got over a dozen guild stash tabs, and fairly open to sharing loot.

6. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I fired this up a few times a year or two ago, but the skill system just seemed kind of weird. That and I really didn't care for the way trading worked. Does it make sense once you stick with it a while?

7. Dullahan

Dullahan Fourth Year

The game is designed largely to appeal to the fanbase of the ARPGs or old, Diablo 2 being the front. The trading system is similar to that one, but it does take some time to adjust to it. The passive skill system is rather unforgiving, but the main site itself has a tool to plan out the optimal build before you begin leveling, so you avoid screwing yourself.

The active system is very unique, and it definitely takes some time to familiarize oneself with the way gems interact and what can be used as a basis for a build. The way gear restricts one's actual skill usage can be aggrivating, but it also is extremely rewarding when you finally get the five-linked chest and your tooltip dps for your main attack doubles (depending on your setup).

The expansion will be adding a new mechanic to help melee builds (fortify), and a new level of passive customization (jewels), so it would be a great time to pick
    the game up.

If you or anyone else wants a more direct walk through, add me in game and I'll try to help you get adjusted.
    I am Saint_Augustine_ (character name), and am generally on between 5:00 and 10:00 PM est

8. Sephiroso

Sephiroso Disappeared

I've been playing PoE for quite some time, i personally still dislike the bartering trade system they have but on a basic level, it is no different than trading in any other game. It takes time to learn how much something is worth and you learn it by watching the market essentially.

Not including when a league first starts up, 30~ Chaos Orbs generally will equal 1 Exalted Orb. 2 Alchemy Orbs will equal 1 Chaos Orb. So on and so forth, you tend to pick the currency conversion up just by watching trade chat and see what people pay/buy for. (Disclaimer: These prices are before the Awakening and are subject to possibly changing so don't commit these to memory.)

As far as gear, that too is picked up as you go along though it has a much larger variance, but the website poe.trade makes this rather easy again. You just search for a piece of equipment with comparable stats in whatever league you're playing and you see how much people are selling it for and base your price around that.

As for the skill system. It is the game's best part by far for me. A lot of people tend to give the passive skill tree that regard but not me. With the skill gems, you essentially create the skill you wish to use. They give you the basic skill gems like Fireball, and also give you the tools to augment said Fireball with support gems that will split said Fireball into multiple Fireballs, or a gem that lets you cast it faster, or a gem that converts the fire damage to another element.

Thinking of it like that makes it a bit less weird. It's actually something i'd like to see expand in even mmo's. It's a really great system that gives the player a lot of control in how they wish to fight. But, I will say it does take a fair bit of game knowledge to know what support gems are the best options to choose to augment whatever skill gem you wish to go with.

9. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Well, there are also a few fairly frequently updated currency exchange rate websites, although they may not reflect the current rates with true accuracy. Also, new temporary leagues always take a little while for the currency exchange rates to settle.

10. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

I'm planning on playing when the expansion is released. I've always played hardcore though, what do you guys play?

11. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

My friend persuaded me to play hardcore (it certainly adds adrenaline in dangerous moments), but I play only rarely when mood strikes, and so still a noob.

12. Arselbengt

Arselbengt First Year

I usually play the game hardcore except in leagues that I find to be particularly R.I.P.y.
    It has been a few months now since I last played the game but I will definately play in the HC league when the expansion is out.
    Looking forward to the changes to the game since I prefer playing melee and from what I've read it will be much improved.

13. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I prefer hardcore myself, it's just much more fun and interesting, instead of just banging your head against a wall to finish levels, and kill monsters with risky tactics you really have to think.

But in the event of a huge fuckup or disconnect you still have the character in normal mode.

14. Sephiroso

Sephiroso Disappeared

I tend to play hardcore because in softcore leagues, the economy gets real stupid after it's been established(talking months after its started).

15. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

Can't wait to play the expansion, but don't know if i'll ever be able to make a character as awesome as my detonate dead character.

16. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I still can't work up the urge to play after someone got into my account and took everything. Guess I could play hardcore league.

17. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is that where you delete your account if you lost a game? :p

18. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

If you die in hardcode you get moved to regular.

19. Sephiroso

Sephiroso Disappeared

I thought if you died in hardcore, you die in real life.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

20. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Not gonna lie, I was very close to when I saw all my currency (a couple exalted back near release was actually worth something) and a dozen +20 gems gone.

Haven't touched the game since and I still can't log in without cringing when I see only a +14% discharge and GMP gem left.