1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[PC] Pillars of Eternity

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Cruentus, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Kickstarter and Obsidian...

So I don't know if anybody noticed, but Kickstarter has been getting a lot moar awesome then it already was thanks to well known game developers taking interest.

Consequently anybody who loved Balder's Gate 1 & 2 KOTOR 1&2, most of the fallout series, Planescape: Torment and Ice Wind Dale 1 & 2 should look at this.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity

Figure it would be a kindness to lend a hand...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  2. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    KoTOR 2 was a complete and horrific wreck.
    Also, what the heck is with established companies mooching off of kickstarter to get funding?

3. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Basically they do this and they don't have to go through producers, like EA.

4. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Makes all the difference in the world.

Also, I know four people actually working on this. Gonna go pledge some money now.

5. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Ohh. Well. In that case, I will part with money. Anything to make good RPGs out of the hands of EA.
    [​IMG]

6. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Obsidian reached their goal of $1.1M within 24h. If they reach $1.6M, then it'll have a Mac release, and if it reaches $2.2M, then it gets a Linux release as well. I can't see them not reaching all of those goals.

I've never funded a Kickstarter project before, but this one's a no-brainer. Experienced studio. Top development team full of names I recognise. And making an RPG, which is Obsidian's stock in trade.

$20 gets you the game on Steam as an early-bird special. You have to be quick though, there's less than 3,000 left, and they started with 25,000 yesterday. After they're exhausted, the pre-order price rises to $25.

This is the best Kickstarter I've seen. It's layed out in a very clear manner. It's easy to see what you're getting for your money, and how the game scales up with stretch goals.

It was the first time I've used Kickstarter, but it was a very easy process. It has the easiest registration process I've ever seen, then it sends you to Amazon to process the purchase. If you don't already have an Amazon account, it'll ask you to create one. If you already have an Amazon account though, then purchasing is a breeze.

Edit: If you want to pay through Paypal, then apparently that's coming "soon".

7. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Baldur's Gate (console and pc) are probably my favorite rpgs of all time. I would probably do the collector's edition pledge, but it sounds pretty lame, so I'll just do the normal boxed version. It's pretty much just essentially preordering the game a year in advanced while it's still being made, which seems logical to me for an established studio.

8. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Eh, why not. I enjoy all kinds of RPG and it is from a studio I recognize. Hopefully, they can produce it relatively bug-free since they'll have loads of time to make it!

9. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I honestly can't believe the 5k rewards are actually sold out already.

10. yak

The publisher, LucasArts, forced Obsidian to release KOTOR 2 in time for Christmas sales despite it not being finished. Consequently, Obsidian had to cut a bunch of unfinished content, including much of the ending, in order to meet the deadline and the game was released in the state you found it. Obsidian petitioned LucasArts for permission to create a patch to restore the content and finish the game, but LucasArts, for whatever reason, refused them.

Seeing as Kickstarter circumvents the need for a publisher, the problems of KOTOR 2 shouldn't be repeated here.

11. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This. Stole a 20$ copy not many left

12. yak

Less than 300 left. They'll be gone in an hour.

13. kingmonkeyd

kingmonkeyd First Year DLP Supporter

This makes me very happy; I'm really looking forward to what an established company like Obsidian can do when a publisher isn't restricting it. I'll probably grab the boxed version since I like having the physical media.

Also, Schrodinger, in case you didn't know, there's a TSL Restored Content Mod for the PC version which should allow you to play the game as Obsidian may have intended. It restores a ton of content and fixes most of the bugs that plagued the game. Currently, it's on version 1.8, which the modders say will be the final version barring any bugfixes. If you're interested, you can find it at deadlystream.com.

14. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

For the love of god, can Obsidion be corrected to Obsidian?

15. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

I've played it with the restored content; it's still boring as fuck compared with the first game. Obsidian has never really successfully developed their own IP-- the only time they tried, it was a total flop (that modern spy game that escapes me). But I guess with full reign and a few new faces, they might be able come up with something decent.

16. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Seems Cruentus was too busy obsidion his ass to spell check. D:

Also: dear god, I wish I had the twenty to drop for the early copy. :< fucking food and fucking bills! Why must it be necessary for me to eat?!
    ?!

17. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    $20 offers are sold out, so I pledged $25.

18. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

As soon as I heard that Obsidian, a well-established company, had a Kick-Starter, I was like, "Fuck them."

And then I read the reasoning why they'd do this, and how it allows them to -essentially- dump EA's ass out in the cold. Now I'm all for them doing this, and other companies, too.

Yes, yes, I am rather simple.

19. CBH

CBH Sixth Year

You're thinking of Alpha Protocol which is actually a pretty good game depending on which system you play it on. The PC version was supposed to have really bad controls and AI, but the PS3 version played pretty well and was definitely worth the $15 I spent on it. Either way, it had a pretty enjoyable story and choice/consequence system. That story writing team with the type of gameplay described in the kickstarter means I'll definitely support this.

Edit: Pledged $25. This was my first time using Kickstarter and I agree that it was really easy to go through Amazon.

Edit 2: Sent Obsidian a question through Kickstarter and they answered in 16 minutes. Since it seems that the Mac version is being made, pledgers will have the choice between the Mac and PC version on Steam.

20. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I support any and all measures being taken to avoid EA.

They ruin so many games with such potential...