1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[PC] Pillars of Eternity

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Cruentus, Sep 16, 2012.

1. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Anyone had a chance to play it yet? I just got home and am running the steam update, so soon.

Getting baller reviews, which is neat.

2. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Second Year

5 hours in. This is the Baldur's Gate 3 I've been dreaming about for the past few years.

The game really manages to capture the old Infinity Engine games' atmosphere (lore-heavy, lots of interesting (!) background stories, well thought out quests with somewhat unexpected twists) - with some improvements: The interface is modernized, the combat system works extremely well, you have a double speed mode for traversing known areas quickly.

In short: Anybody who loved the old games and hasn't purchased the game yet... do it! Quickly! While I loved Divinity Original Sin, this is even more enjoyable, mainly because it is true successor to the games I spent a large part of my teenage years on.

3. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

Kinda sad that POE has no romances, but downloading now. I don't need romances to be satisfied in an RPG; my disappointment comes more from the fact that I think Obsidian could match DAI's Cassandra or even better with what they are developing.

I really need to do a play through of Baldur's Gate. I keep trying to start it and find myself distracted.

4. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

It's only $20 if you know someone who supported it on KS

5. MonkeyEpoxy

How? I backed it and I'd like to hook people up.

6. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

http://project-eternity.tumblr.com/post/33543990284/project-eternity-add-on-list

7. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

I'm game to toss in $20(Paypal or in purchasing an equivalent value game on Steam?) if others are.

Of course, a friend of mine is considering getting it for me(possibly at a $20 input from my end), then using family sharing off of my account to just play it that way, so I might be out of the running anyway.

8. MonkeyEpoxy

Hm. I already confirmed and did all that shit to my pledge months ago.

9. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Just picked up the game.

Paid full price and I don't care, because it looks like it's worth it.

The character creation screen looks mighty intimidating though.

10. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Holding off on this until I can grab it on sale, but I'm pretty damn excited for when I eventually get to play it. :D

11. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

You can change it I believe? I saw people asking if anyone wanted to split a 3 pack as late as yesterday.

12. Jaska

Jaska Third Year

Hi this is my first post and if the way i have written is bad, let me know.
    I have 10 hours in to the game so far and it's very good. The writing is so good that i'm actually reading everything instead of skipping almost everything (DA:I).
    One thing that i noticed was the huge drop of difficulty at ~7-8 hours. I'm playing as a wizard and the first 5 hours were very difficult and i kept losing to packs of spiders :facepalm . Now at 10 hours i keep killing everything with no trouble.
    Still enjoying so far and i would recommend this to anyone who likes a good rpg.

13. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Second Year

Too easy? 11 hours in, in Act II and just died 3 times fighting the first motherf*cking Dragon. Yes, Dragon. Not drake. Dragon!

Otherwise... still loving the game. I genuinely like how the choices (and there are plenty) in quests really do affect future options/quests.

Listen to a God instead of its Priestess? Fine. But no getting to see the guarded texts. Unless you sneak in. Oh wait, I can't sneak well enough. Let me hire a Rogue from scratch who can. I can do that? Yes, I can do that!

I love this game!

Off to attempt #4...

14. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

Oh god. This game. So Good. Nostalgia BOMB'ed.

Am I the only one losing significant amounts of time to this game? I literally have lose my entire weekend to it. I don't even know where the hours went.

My character:

'Nidalee' a Wood Elf Rogue, The White that Bends - Hunter

She has a hard on for shooting people in the dick at significant range. I'm talking edge of screen range, thanks to 'Distant Advantage' 'Deep Wounds' and 'Marksman'. When range isn't possible, she has a cute pair of stilleto daggers that combined with 'Sneak Attack' and 'Backstab' do x3.5 damage And an additional 10dmg over 10 seconds via Deep Wounds.

One of my favorite mechanics so far is that Wizards can pry the grimoires of enemy wizards from their cold dead hands and learn their spells. That's a freaking brilliant mechanic.

Just... really loving this game. I'm geeking out over it and I'm only... I just arrived at Cae Nua.

Anyone else digging this?

15. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?p=809552

Current thread, you may want to merge the relavent posts from that thread into this one.

I'm installing the game as we speak, literally have not been as excited for a game in god knows how long.

THIS is the kind of game I used to love.

16. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Second Year

25 hours in. Game is unlocked for roughly 50 hours. 'nuff said.

Playing an Aumaua Cipher. And loving it just as much. Classes seem to be well-balanced (although I am happy that I chose the Cipher as PC given that I only would have met a Companion one about an hour ago), combat is extremely fun and the storytelling... well, it truly is BG 3. At least in spirit.

The wizard grimoire feature is indeed great, as is the Endurance/Health split, the combat mechanics (some stuff usable per rest, some per encounter) and - I love it! - the item enchanting... it's great to be able to upgrade items such that you can use the unique stuff you found early on for quite a while. Furthermore, choices in terms of pretty damn hard decisions are plentiful and do in fact matter (at least every once in a while) for future quests (and come back to bite you in the ass)...

Other stuff I love would probably be too much of a spoiler, but damn, this game's amazing and ten times better than I dared to hope. While the story has its 'WTF is going on?!?' moments, it's engaging and well-written (as is the lore).

Finally, it really does make a difference in terms of immersion to play a completely new game as opposed to the Enhanced Editions of the BG series/Icewind Dale. Having recently bought and played through the latter (which was fun, don't get me wrong), the level of immersion when you don't know what is going on is something else.

The only drawback is that right now, combat does indeed seem to be too little of a challenge. While I disagreed at the 10-15 hour mark, I don't even have to use the characters' abilities for most fights (I still do because they are amazing, but that's a different story) to win easily. But that might also have been my fault for getting sidetracked in an 'endless' side-quest which leveled me up quite a bit.

If you climb down into the pool of blood from the first floor of the endless dungeon, you can backtrack and find an exit from the whole dungeon with a few manageable fights. Or you can fight the drake and decide to just clear all levels from below. And subsequently go bounty hunting. Which should give you a level or two...

TL;DR: Buy this game and play it! Now!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  17. Sephiroso

Sephiroso Disappeared

What the fuck Butters?! You don't just go around shooting people in the dick!

Lol..with that out the way. I never played the great CRPGs like Baldur's Gate, and the first game I played like this was D:OS. I find I enjoy the super RPG-ness of these games a lot. I don't have the best mind for strategic games but they're great.

I made a Death Godlike(Elf) Rogue who specializes in taking advantage of weakened and downed foes. When he smells the blood of his enemies getting thicker, he truly becomes a God of Death with his Backstabbing talent and fondness for Sneak Attacks.

He's able to disappear near at will when the tables turn on him allowing him to either retreat back to his party for backup or take his foe(s) unaware for some major damage.

Also for Peacemaker, you sound like a somewhat veteran to these types of games. Are you playing on at least Hard difficulty, possibly even the one after that, i forget the name? That might have made the difficulty more in line with what you'd wish it to be.

18. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Did you guys side with Kolsc or Raedric?

19. MonkeyEpoxy

I actually just did that part.

I supported the one that hasn't turned a tree into mass gibbet, but I'm fully prepared for it to bite me in the ass when I get to the Defiance Bay. Since Raedric hints that he can make you more popular there if you help him

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  20. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Kolsc. Sure, he's an ambitious cunt, but I don't see how he can do worse than Raedric, who's had half of the village hanged, along with having killed his own wife in her birthing bed.

That aside, this whole Hollowborn mess is depressing as shit. Anyone been yet to the Gift in Defiance Bay and did the quest for Odda?