1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[PC/PS4] No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gengar, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's a lot simpler. Elite has a super complex economy where prices are influenced by lots of different factors.

In NMS, first and foremost, you can't carry as much. Ships aren't as logical in their cargo sizes. Weight and the like makes no difference. Each inventory slot can carry either 500 of a stackable item, a single non stackable item, or a ship upgrade.

Prices are what they are, they vary, but I've not seen a real reason behind it. They also tell you right there how much more/less% it is past the galactic average.

Tl;dr while you can theoretically buy in one system and truck it over to another, it's kinda hard and inefficient.

Want to make money? Be a middle man. Go to a space station and find out what they're paying over 100% for, then go back into the hangar and buy that item off the incoming ships. They don't necessarily share prices with the station.

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Jesus christ.

Unoptimized piece of shit.

3. Gengar

High Score:
    I saw Murray tweeting common solutions...

Works fine on ps4! XD

4. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

So it goes in the Rust/ARK bin. Maybe devs need to stop being so fucking lazy and having everything be generated. Do some level design you fucks.

5. Gengar

High Score:
    Yeah, level design 18 quintillion planets you lazy fucks.

I'm sure Sony handled a large part of the QA for them to help release the game. Probably didn't have the same support on PC. They shouldn't have released it until they handled that properly, obviously.

6. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Or level design four planets instead of trusting RNG jesus with the job so you can push the product out ASAP?

7. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I bought it, I'll give it a try later-ish. I didn't really jump on the hype train so I hope not having too high expectations will help my perspective on it.

8. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

This game, what a waste of time and money.

18 quintillion planets my butt. I saw more contrasting difference and creativity in Xenoblade Chronicle X than in this garbage.

9. Gengar

High Score:
    What? I feel like i'm in the wrong thread, or you just heard about the game yesterday...

1) The planets are the size of actual planets.

2) They should have QA tested it more before pushing it out on PC.

3) they created an engine with the purpose of seeding a galaxy for players to explore and play, not to provide a linear experience. This isn't Mass Effect.

4) Who's complaining about the galaxy? People are up in arms because it runs like dogshit, not because the planets look budget. They don't . Trusting in 'RNG jesus' (read: the engine they created to build their universe) has done a prerry stellar job...

I don't even understand where your point comes from...

10. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

This game has no protection against Cheat Engine at all and It's possible to ignore crafting requirements and inventory usage.. getting to the center of the universe takes a day or two at max on PC if you cheat. -_-

11. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I've been watching a lot of streams of this, probably 10-15 hours worth. And, I love the concept behind this game a lot. But, the actual execution leaves a lot to be desired. I can't honestly support a company by paying $60 for the state this game is currently in.

12. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Looks like one of those games I can fully enjoy by watching YouTubers play it. I can see why it would appeal to people, but I'll stick to knocking around in Minecraft.

13. Gengar

High Score:
    If you can figure out how to tweak the values you can stack items in your ship, that could be cool.

14. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

Supposedly it's mostly nvidia cards that have problems. Some people are theorizing that since consoles run on AMD cards, only AMD cards were tested in depth.

15. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm now five hours in. Thoughts spoilered below

The game looks like an indie game. Sure, the creatures, plants, and textures are randomly generated, but they tend to look similar (across the two systems I've been in so far). It could be that they've got basic models and just slap on a random amount of changes, or it could just be luck, but a few of the beasts look like things I've seen in streams - a cowlike thing with spherical green growths coming out of it, and a thick brownish fan of carbon, to name two.

However, the atmosphere changes from planet to planet. So whilst gold was, well, golden on my starting planet, it's an acidic green colour on my current one. It also comes in spines, rather than great big chunks. The great big golden chunks on this planet are copper, or erindel (?) instead.

Mining is simple, and the inventory system is too. The interface and controls aren't completely intuitive, but you can get used to it pretty quickly. The lack of a short tutorial (walk away from the ship, hit this rock to get iron to build your tool, for example) shows, although everything is explained in game anyway. I don't mind no tutorial, but I'm sure there will be things I miss out on (I only discovered you should put similar upgrades near each other when I saw they had a glowy outline, and I wanted to find out why).

The map is pretty good, although you end up wandering forever. I went away from my ship to a research centre. There was a droppod in the distance. Then there was a monolith. Then intelligent life. And so on and so on - I think I'm nearly an hour's walk away from my ship by now, and I'm pretty tempted to just buy a new one instead.

The sentinels don't like it when you mine, although they don't kick up too much of a fuss unless you do it in front of them. But they're like police in old games - hide in a building for a few minutes, and your wanted rating (at least, at lower wanted ratings) goes down to nothing.
    As a side note, the basic grenades on the first multitool can oneshot a sentinel. You get titanium from them.

I'm also quite unimpressed with how luck plays such a massive part in this game. In my second system, I first landed on a barren moon. It had plutonium, gold, and hiridium.
    Now, plutonium can be used for lifting off from planets. It can also power your mining beam, and your life support. It does this MUCH better than carbon.
    So I spent about forty minutes wandering this desolate landscape, hunting gold, and then selling it at one of the few outposts I'd found. I nearly have a million credits now.

Then I landed on the moon's planet (still there now, actually). I've found an outpost in the middle of a forest. The monolith on the way had three wordpoles, and I learned the words for 'isotope', 'credit' and 'unacceptable'. I also traded away my multitool for a much better one with a Vykeen trader, which also boosted their opinion of me. I had just decided to be trustworthy (the fact there was one on sale right behind them I could afford had no impact on this decision), but this really paid off.
    Because at the outpost I'm currently at, the Vykeen on duty greeted me with a stream of nonsense - "hbrguibrfiubbgrlubglb isotopes. Credits unacceptable! oihrgiubgiub".
    I was offered the chance to give him credits, carbon, or report him to his supervisor.

Of course, I paid his non-credit bribe, and that improved his opinion. And now he teaches me a word every second interaction (for twenty carbon each time), and heals me on the other.
    So I'm standing outside, killing trees and sentinels, then getting healed and have learned another twelve words in Vykeen. Most haven't been used.

But I'm starting to run out of local plutonium to mine, so I might be heading off to the next thing on the horizon.

EDIT

Okay, so a few flaws I wanted to point out -
    Random animals means that planets don't have (much, if any) cohesion.
    A planet has some six legged things, some four legged things, and then some with eight legs, but each has four feet. If you look at life on Earth, it can be split into three sections - four limbed, 'bugs', 'fish'. The differences between these groups aren't just how many legs they have. Look at the animals in Avatar3D - nearly everything has six limbs, but they all have the headtentacle. As is, you can't tell which planet a creature came from.

No explanations on what stuff means, but it isn't important anyway.
    I've been on a planet which dropped to -100, had a tox rating of ~15, and a radiation rating of ~3 (I think, figures are all guestimates).
    But I just refill my life support whenever it drops below 50%, or go hunting for stuff to fill it, and everything is okay again. Maybe it drops faster on some planets? But with 250 plutonium to fill up from, it isn't like I notice.
    The same with the little diamonds on the top right. I think they're my wanted rating, as they fill up when I kill sentinels. They go down by themselves though, so essentially just ignore them unless you're being attacked.
    Also, there's a weird red icon on the bottom right, by my sprint bar and jetpack. I'm pretty sure it means an inventory is full.

I can buy and sell without knowing the language. This includes buying a fully kitted out fighter from a thing I just met.
    Fair enough, adding in reputation, or having to know the language, would massively slow down players dropped on planets without many language stones. It doesn't have any impact on gameplay, but if language learning is so important, it feels like there's little emphasis actually placed on it (unless I've just made good guesses at every test so far.

Directions, and scale.
    There's no map, which is fine. The game is about exploration, after all. But some form of compass might be nice. Also, a way of telling which planets/systems you've been to. And the game is so big, it often feels like if you don't do something whilst you can see the marker, you will never do it again.

Atmospheric flight.
    I don't like it. The ship doesn't fly nicely, landing doesn't put me in a safe spot (I fell out of my ship and lost 30% health, because obviously that's where I'd set down), and so whilst you have to fly to things more than a few minutes away, you have to be careful not to overshoot, and end up in space, because you will never, ever, get back there.

Also, you can't name things once you've submitted them for extra credits. You get one shot at naming things.

But I'm having fun. It IS pricey, but I can see this being something I dip into when I want to waste a few hours for a while.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  16. Gengar

High Score:
    You get plutonium practically everywhere, don't worry.

Same as the one needed for your space jets (th9 or whatever. Shoot asteroids.)

Keep those two and zinc/titanium on you at all times and you can explore for days. (the zinc/titanium powers your haz suit and any anti extreme tech you have (cold/hot/poison/rad etc).

Creatures will start to vary. I've seen some pretty outlandish shit by now. Probably been to around 50 systems by now? I dunno.

17. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This looks very cool so far, but I think I'll be waiting until the Christmas sales to pick it up. That should be long enough to get the worst of the bugs fixed and get the balancing right.

18. Dye

Dye Second Year DLP Supporter

Managed to get the game working, and I'm enjoying it so far. I've had a lot of cool experiences in the short time I've been playing.

There is one thing that's annoying me though. I've found an abandoned building on a planet, but it's underwater and there is no entrance to it. I've gone round it multiple times looking for an entrance, but there isn't a door in sight. The planet is pretty hostile so I'll just give up on this building, but I hope this was a mistake on my part, rather than an error of the procedural generating.

19. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I've been watching Youtube videos the last few days. It looks fucking AWESOME!

20. TSN

TSN Auror

Only i'n my 2cd system so far.

Because the station buy gold for 99.7 above glatic standar, and the moon right next to it, has gold deposit every 300feet. or 30 sec walk to each other.

fully upgraded exosuit, (well closed to it I have 38 slot) and a 22 slot multtool) I'm fine.

Waiting on a good looking ship with good sloth to buy. after that, I'll start exploting system just for fun and trying to get more word for vrkreen and shit.