1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pen and Paper

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Coyote, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

Alright fuckers, I know some of you play pen and paper games because I've roleplayed with you before. Time for the rest of you faggots to come out of the closet.

Who plays pen and paper games?

Who has funny stories to share?

Who wants to play one over IRC/Maptools/Skype/whatever?

Who wants to /run/ one over IRC/Maptools/Skype/whatever?

I'll start. Tehan ran a game of oWoD werewolf with me and a few others. Our very first set of actions?

Breaking into one of the PCs houses with sledgehammers to get all up in their private business under the guise of robbing their house. We then proceeded to put the shit we stole in a van which we crashed into a corporate office during a (bloody) raid in order to confuse cops, and drive halfway across the country with a giant fucking wolf in the back of a U-haul until a commie werewolf used her connections with a spirit of the wind to teleport into the passenger's seat... sans momentum.

All while my character refused to call werewolves anything but "werewoofs."

This is why I love PnP, DLP. And I know you fuckers do too.

2. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

What is this mysterious thing known as "paper" that you speak of?

But seriously, I've never played any sort of PnP game.

3. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Never played them, don't even know how they work. Would be interested in an irc version though if rules and shit were laid out.

4. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

Actually, I'm about to do a really dick thing here.

If you want to play in a game but not host one, list when you can play.

If you want to host one, whether or not you know what system you're going to use/what you're doing, list when you can host.

If you just want to talk about PnP shit, that's whatever, but I'll ask that you make it clear somehow that you're not interested in current games.

You guys are cool and all, but I don't give enough of a fuck about y'all to know when you're awake even if I know where y'all live, and I've been around longer than most.

5. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You called the thread Pen and Paper so don't give out about people talking about Pen and Paper but not listing times and shit.

That said, Usually free 2-7am gmt on weekdays and interested in playing on irc where a clear ruleset and explanation of the game have been supplied.

6. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

Yeah, it's a dick move on my part, but it's also one that needs to be taken if we want this thread to be useful.

I'd say sorry, but honestly, I'm really not. :p

EDIT: And Evan Tide, that's pretty much the default assumption, so I see little need for posts that state as such and go no further. Are you interested in playing or running a game? Is there some reason that PnP is horrible or a good idea in theory?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  7. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Lol, Coyote wants to roleplay with you guys.

8. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I have never played PnP so how the hell should I know? Just start something and see how many are interested.

I'm able to play Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday from 1 PM - 5:30 PM GMT-7.

9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

mfw Dark heresy a few years ago.

Epic shit happened.

10. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

"I will use my grappling hook to clamber onto a flying ornithopter that is shooting missiles at us, kick the pilot's arse, and try to figure out it's controls before it crashes! Also I have been playing too much Mercenaries 2."

"Oh wait, I forgot, kicking arse is not one of my strong suits. It seems the pilot is kicking my arse."

Then Jon snipes the pilot mid-arsekick. Glorious.

11. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

My only regret is I couldn't fly the ornithopter by shooting at the controls.

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, my last attempt at PnP went disastrously, but I'm up for another go if you'll take me (I swear, no stupid characters like that one). I'm only good for weekends and every third week between 11pm-6am, and then I'd have to skip Sundays every three weeks thanks to night shift.

13. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm up for an IRC game.

If you guys come up with a date and time, let me know. It's easier for me to try and fit a session into my schedule than you guys arrange one around mine.

14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd say that Skype or the likes would be better for this, with IRC being for the dicebot. That way you don't have two people doing the same thing over the top of each other.

15. Atomicwalrus

Atomicwalrus Fourth Year

Fuck yeah Dark Heresy, though I must say I'm loving Rogue trader a lot more now.

Last night managed to use a shuttle as a Trojan horse to deliver an atomic into a rival rogue traders ship and blow the bastard to kingdom come, while he was waiting for us to meet and surrender.

16. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I've played a couple. Star Wars one, DresdenFiles RPG, straight PathFinder.

I can't really play right now because my schedule sucks but once summer hits, I should be in the clear.

17. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Lol, I'd say I'm game... but, we all know how I am when it comes to participating in these kinds of things. So, I'll just generalize and give others a chance to play.

No real memory, other than character building, and try-outs involving the bank scene from Dark Knight. UA game, IIRC. Unknown Armies and Dark Heresy is still my <3

18. Varios

Varios Third Year

Playing a Lawful Good Paladin in a generic 3.5 fantasy setting (We all know the type). Left 4 Dead had just recently came out and it definitely bled through into our campaign, next thing we know the city is being infested with zombies and other undead creatures.

We barricade ourselves in a tavern and start to evacuate civilians, most my party have to do the whole running across rooftops schtick, which led to a few scary falls into zombie infested streets (Which did make for an extremely tense adventure). Anyway, I notice a woman hanging for dear life screaming "My baby, someone save my baby". Being the paragon of virtue that I am, I helped the poor woman. Unfortunately she was like a rabid dog, hyped on cocaine with steroids.

She stabbed me understandable considering the circumstances, I attempt to pull her up and she stabs me again. Not exactly an easy mistake but I was going for the whole faith in humanity and doing the right thing no matter what style character, so I continued to help her.

Then the DM rolled an natural 20.

For all those who don't know, in D&D this is considered a critical hit, dealing extra damage and is usually a big deal fluff wise (Alongside natural 1's).

Then she rolled another 20.

Shit began to get pretty serious at this point, triple 20's would mean an instant death, no matter what. I was fucked if she got another 20.

She got a 19.

Instead of the death which was more desirable, I lost an eye, an ear, two digits on my left hand and my entire right hand, all to a rabid bitch with a dagger who got lucky.

I let the fucker drop, and it was pretty satisfying when she hit the ground. I asked the DM to describe her screams and death in pretty gruesome detail, it was beautiful. Unfortunately this resulted in me losing my Paladin powers, which is lucky because I then went on to become Karavas, the One Punch Monk.

19. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

I've been playing pen and paper roleplaying games for about seven/eight years, so I'm definitely down. I just graduated, so I'll have significantly more time in the evenings. Set a time, and I'll definitely be down for something.

20. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Played a bit of DnD. I bluffed a merchant and guard into into believing the merchant had killed himself with lightning then looted the shop on my first day. Then things got silly. :v

I'm up for whatever, but not for a few weeks.

EDIT: I don't want to play with Varios...