1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned People Lie by Nugar - M - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Janus, Nov 14, 2008.

1. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

There is a point of being a ninja, then being OCD ninja. It feels stupid, the whole shadow army with arrows. Trying to bait Kakashi with going to bomb the city basically. It just feels silly/stupid.

2. Solfege

Solfege Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Agreed, Naruto is an odd one out as several canon characters have pointed out already. I don't see anything wrong with the characterization.

But I'm also worried that the story will run out of steam rather quickly. Nugar said himself that this Naruto is not the hero that canon needs; it'll be harder to move this forward as alt-Naruto's crackish impact on this world gets old.

3. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Honestly, People Lie went downhill right after the fight with Team Gai. After that, it was just Team Lie getting shit on by everyfuckingone in the village. I like it when characters have believable obstacles and hardships. I get bored and annoyed when it's ten pages of "Fuck you, here's another pie of shit in your face."

4. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I didn't mind it, but I've never seen a story go up and down in quality as randomly as this. It really made me want to rage-quit when Naruto was a chick crying her heart out and confessing to Sasuke, but I persisted and it paid off.

I love Lee's 'fuck-you' jutsu, made me piss myself laughing even though you saw it coming from a mile away. A lot of funny things like that appear throughout the story, but unfortunately it is also equaled by the amount of things wanting to make you rage-quit (see above).

A pretty decent story overall if you can stand the author switching writing formats and the story quality changing a lot. The story is incredible slow paced, 200k something K and not even at the chunnin exams.

Naruto & Co also experience defeat (but not true defeat) a lot in this story, which helps in the evolution of his character. So if you are one who secretly love the main character owning every fight, this definitely won't be for you.

Decent read, 3/5.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  5. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

The first one was great until they beat up Team Gai, at which point its clear the author ran out of ideas. As a result of this he moved onto the 2nd one which sadly has so far has been pretty uninteresting.

4/5 for People Lie, 2/5 for the sequel.

Edit: Upon posting I noticed Mindless basically made the same point about People Lie , so "what he said" is pretty much valid.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  6. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

7. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

Nugar's Awesomeness

OMG! Naruto is a recent love of mine and this is most definetly one of the best fics out there that I have found. However, anyone know where to find the adult version?

8. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Err... the adult version?

9. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

UHm, the author wrote a Naruto/Hinata smut I think. The link used to be found on this profile.

Edit: You both fail, since the link was still there

10. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

He's just recently released a new chapter for the main story, for those of you who are interested. I've been following this thing with bated breath since I found it.

I apologize for the necro; an update is an acceptable reason to post, right?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  11. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Uh... no. It isn't. That's what story alert on FFN and the like is for. And it's bated breath, not baited.

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I bait my breath with various cocktails and lager in the hopes of picking up womenz, but yeah, posting just to say the fic has updated is considered bad form, so in future give a comment or two on the update when you do.

Now, on to the story. In some ways this chapter felt a bit like filler, but I think it held enough plot points and character development moments to just eek over the line.

Jiraiya's tirade and the subsequent reaction was interesting to me, and provided a good insight into the dynamic between Naruto and his superiors. The later conversation was a good follow on from that too, I think.

Sasuke showing his humanity through the skinkini incident was also rather well done; I think it captured the horror of the moment surprisingly well.

That said, there were some things I didn't like about the chapter. Specifically the blatant memes interspersed throughout the chapter, and Sasuke vs. the birds.

13. Kari Black

Kari Black DA Member

I've been reading this for a long time (back when the first part wasn't even done yet). Honestly, I love it. I know some people were turned off by the whole shoggoths thing, and the major differences between arcs, but I'm a total sucker for characters who truly do fuck up, and sometimes unreliable narratives. And basically stories where you do actually have to think a little to try to figure out what's going on, and what's going to happen next. I also especially love that just about everyone should be locked up in a padded room somewhere. So yeah, 5/5 from me.

As for the latest chapter, I liked the Jiraiya interactions, and the skinkini thing too. It should take the heat off them a bit as far as the Treat-Them-Like-Tools-And-See-How-They-Like-It group goes at least. What I really want to know is what the hell's going on with Kakashi. I mean, we haven't seen him since the end of Clients Lie, and all we ever really got was Super Important Mission, and a post-card of him and a Mist ninja he's annoying or something. I think he's due an appearance any time.

14. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

15. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I did love PL back in the day but their recent work has been less than stellar so cautious optimism?