1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Perchance to Dream by TaikoHawk - K+ - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Zyloch, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Zyloch

Zyloch Fourth Year

Haven't seen this on here yet:

Title: Perchance to Dream
    Author: TaikoHawk
    Rating: K+
    DLP Category: Naruto
    Pairing: None
    Chapters: 13
    Words: 42,295
    Updated: August 30, 2010
    Published: June 15, 2010

Summary: Uchiha Itachi hadn't planned for this possibility, but then, if he'd had his way, he would be dead. How this had happened was a useless question. What mattered was, what would he do now? To be or not to be... It all hinged on his choices. Time travel.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6055231/1/Perchance_to_Dream
    See TaikoHawk's profile for sequels and side stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1720969/TaikoHawk

I'd rate this a 4/5 at the moment; depending on where it goes it might easily become 5/5. This author seems to really understand the character of Uchiha Itachi. Definitely a very accurate and unique portrayal of time travel. It doesn't move too fast, but I don't think it moves too slowly either. I decided to post this now, because it has enough chapters to judge writing style and potential interest. Very good grammar is also a plus. Lulz at all her reviewers wondering where Naruto is. That's not the point!

Checked: June 8, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2012
  2. Aakunen

Aakunen Second Year

I can't stand this story. The only change from dozens of other time travel stories is that it was Itachi who was transferred to the past.

It follows the standard formula for a time travel story - pretty much the first thing Itachi does in the past (after concluding that his mind was really transferred to the past) is to go to the Sandaime and tell him everything - moments later and one session with Ibiki, who was able to verify Naruto's... sorry, Itachi's story.

The author also manages to mess up Itachi's rank (unless something lately changed and Itachi was ret-conned to be a jounin before he became a nuke-nin), Mikoto's rank and some other minor details.

My last annoyance: Naruto is mentioned in the story exactly once. Fail.

2/5

3. Kari Black

Kari Black DA Member

I don't think it's that bad. Pretty standard time-travel, and I can stand Itachi-centric although the total lack of Naruto did bug me a little. Nothing amazing, but nothing too bad either. 3/5

4. Zyloch

Zyloch Fourth Year

Personally I have no problem with Itachi, Naruto, or whoever confiding in the Hokage if it's done realistically. Why not ally with the most influential, powerful, and trusted ninja in Konoha if you can? What annoys me about most Naruto-centric time travel stories is that Naruto's personality does a 180 and no one notices/cares/comments. This doesn't bother me in this one, since Itachi's actions and responses have always been reasonably constant.

Also, I've rated this as high as I did, because believe it or not Naruto doesn't have to enter the story immediately or even much at all for it to be interesting to me. Of course, you're welcome to your own opinions and preferences on this one.

As for the rank details you mentioned, I confess it didn't bother me because I haven't bothered to keep up with all those details. For what it's worth, I did do a quick search for Mikoto on Narutopedia, and it confirmed that she was a jounin. However, I have no trouble believing someone who knows more about Naruto can spot factual errors where I can't, so good point.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  5. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

This has been sitting on my favourite list for a while, and while it doesn't make me go dizzy with excitement it is solidly written and the author has a solid base from which they can start really changeling things ect.