1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Persona 4 to Have Unequivocally Homosexual Protagonist

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Chime, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

www. rpgfan.com/reviews/persona4/index.html

Anyone's impressions of the game changed by this? Going to buy it but now you aren't? Interested in playing it now that you've read this?

Personally, this only makes me assured that I won't be getting the game. Not that I'm homophobic, just simply the fact that this type of story doesn't appeal to me, and that since the game sounds basically unchanged from P3 (which was fun in it's own right, but I just don't have the time to dungeon crawl again for 80 hours).

I can't say how this will fair in America, having read this, it could bolster or hinder its sales. If P4 allows you to "date" men, I can't begin to fathom some people's reactions to this game, especially the religious or homophobic.

Anyone's thoughts?

2. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Yeah, so what? There's nothing wrong with that. A game is a game, and I've always liked the Persona series.

3. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Ah, for me, I can envision one of my friends or relatives walking in on me while I'm playing, and a character says something weird. Actually P3 had a little bit of that, "Why are they shooting themselves in the head?" one of my friends had asked and I had to say, "Uhh, dunno."

4. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I loved Persona 3, and I know I'm going to love this. This article changes nothing.

5. Twisted

Twisted Guest

I dunno, that boss fight sounds a bit... gay

6. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

I'm playing Persona 3 FES right now (I'm lovin it), and I can definitely say I will be getting Persona 4. I don't care about the homosexual themes of the story. Actually, that makes it pretty interesting.

I actually bought Persona 2 on Ebay the other day. Cost me a hefty $75, but I think it will be worth it.

7. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Meh, no clue what Persona is about, but I doubt I'll buy it.

I doubt it would be anything more original then any other game, 'cept the Homo aspect. And I wouldn't buy a game because of that.

Actually, I'd avoid buying a game like that. I like games in which you can pretty much make up who the character is.

Games like this... "You are a homosexual. Now go shoot some stuff."

Meh.

8. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Look up Persona before you post, Iztiak. Originality is definitely not lacking here.

9. Seven-Nights

Seven-Nights Squib

I've spoiled myself about this game a whole lot but without saying anything that would really ruin it for anyone, I can say anything that remotely serious homosexual is NOT in the game.

Edit: Okay, after researching a bit more I'm wrong on some cases. Fact#1: One of the main party members has the sexual orientation issues, not the main protagonist. Fact#2: You do not date other guys period. All social link endings are friendship stuff, except with some of the girls which could end up like Persona 3's protagonist (8-timing on the other girls). I seriously doubt that the few quips of homosexuality would ruin the game. Its mainly used as a gag device except for this one part of the game and even the reviewer at RPGfan who brought this issue up still says this game rates in the +90%. So like, or it hate as you wish. Its a Persona game, I'm seen the gameplay, plot, and even played a little bit of it beforehand, so I'll still get it regardless of this one issue.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  10. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Go fucking look at Enchanted Arms and see why gay characters in games is ahorrible idea. Game programmers have warped views about what gay is, and you wind up with characters like the one in there, that is so GAY gay, that gays look at it and say, dam that boy's a fag.

The character they did it to in there, Makota, seriously ruined a playable game.

11. Paimon

Paimon That fucking cat

I usually try to identify with protagonist.

Can't do that with females usually or flamboyant homsexuals.
    D:

12. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

That's reassuring Seven-Nights.

As long as it's a gag, and not full on in-your-face, lisping, rainbow wearing fag (like Midknight mentioned), it's all good.

Persona 4 is my most anticipated release this winter. Should be great.