1. The DLP Story Competition is back!!!!11one! Get the details in the announcement and break out your favorite editor, because it's time to enter the December 2017 competition.

Don't let us down, Guest.
    Dismiss Notice

Persona 5 [PS4]

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gengar, Apr 22, 2016.

1. BTT

BTT Order Member

You've clearly never been Marin Karin'd.

2. LT2000

LT2000 Alchemist

Oh, I love Mitsuru. Probably my favorite Persona gal to date. But that forced AI control over everyone except the MC in battle in FES makes her a horrible choice to actually use. Rather than using her powerful magic to attack, she'll just forever try to spam Marin Karin on everything.

Of course, thinking about that first bit makes me recall how romance is handled in P3 for the male protagonist. Wasn't a fan of that in general, particularly how
    there is no option to friendzone any of the girls, meaning that you're forced to play as a cheating manwhore in order to max your Social Links.

3. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think romance in these games needs an overhaul in general.

Can't remember if I said this here or to Jon, but becoming boyfriend/girlfriend should be the start, not the end goal. As in, when that happens, you should unlock a whole slew of unique 'romance content'.

4. Koalas

Koalas Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Whole separate social link/arcana maybe? Make The Lover an extension of whoever you waifu, run in parallel with their normal arcana.

5. Meerkats

Meerkats High Inquisitor

It reminds me of a lot of romance manga /anime, where the couple getting together usually either happens at the end or far into the story. Maybe it's a Japan thing.

6. Arthellion

Arthellion Professor

High Score:

Eh...thinking of Bioware games or other western romances...the romance arc basically ends after you "get the girl"

Even Mass Effect...both your lovers from the first game you only got back in the 3rd one. 3rd didn't do a ton with romance either.

Maybe we can just blame video game developers never actually getting that far themselves so they don't know how? :sherlock:

7. Gengar

High Score:
    The thing is, in those other games, romance and just living your life aren't the focus.

In Persona, if the story was the focus, it'd time skip between main plot points. It doesn't. Spending a week hanging with your gf isn't out of place here, like it would be in Witcher or Mass Effect.

8. Arthellion

Arthellion Professor

High Score:
    Oh I agree. Realize that came across as me justifying them not having it. I think it's a glaring weakness in any game with romance if you only focus on the leading up to the relationship. I don't believe I'm in the minority when I say that real and consistent romance happens after you start a relationship.

Oh certainly there is the wooing aspect but..

Wrong thread. I'll leave my relationship psychoanalysis for another time.

But yes. Give us the opportunity to have things.

Heck, give us a one month anniversary with our girl. Entirely unrealistic that we can ignore that...

9. LT2000

LT2000 Alchemist

New Game Plus run done. Man, I spent so many night dates playing shogi in the hope that I'd eventually get an option to do something else (I did get to take Hifumi to the ferris wheel once early into dating her) but no cigar. Still, the Christmas and Valentine's Day scenes were...adequate, at least. Probably not a romance route I would do again though. Whenever I play again, I'll probably go with Ann or Haru. You really can't do much of anything with the non-Phantom Thief girls so far a I can tell. Pity, since the roleplayer in me would prefer to date outside the team. It's nice to have one aspect of life that isn't in any way tied to the Thieves.

Abused the fuck out of the Reaper Flu exploit this time, got my Compendium mostly done. I think I'm somewhere upwards of 90%. Also got everyone's best gear via Electric Chair except for Morgana's slingshot since I ran out of Model Guns, enough Crystal Skull accessories to go around for a team of four, et cetera. Essentially will never need money for anything again aside from buying Persona and doing confidant stuff.

10. Clerith

Clerith Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Finally got my own Platinum. 172 hours. Took a while since Passionate Listener was honestly unpleasant to grind.

10/10 Wardens fight. Worth it just for the dialogue alone. The actual fight was really easy though. I leveled to 95, and had Divine Pillar on everyone - the damage I took went from single digits to below 50. On normal. Even on hard, I wouldn't need to heal every other turn... pretty easy.

11. Gengar

High Score:
    If only you could use the item you get from them, rofl

12. JamesSkillape

JamesSkillape Squib

Probably my Favourite game this year, Ive bought P4 and about 20hrs into it. I probably should have started on the earlier games and worked. Y way up haha.