1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.11

Discussion in 'FanFic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Minister of Magic

You're assuming that they want to get better. The serious to semi-serious ones actually do. Then you have the ones that just write to get a fantasy off their chest and are seeking like minded others to read their work and give that OMG MOAR! as some sort of reward. Then you have the ones that do this for some sort of catharsis, that don't give a crap about improving; it's their hobby and nothing more. Et cetera ad nauseam.

It's frustrating, I get it. Writing is serious stuff to some people. To others it's just something they do.

2. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not going to defend shit authors. There is a reason they're shit. I tend to agree with Heather that in large part, the reason people write is to get an idea off their chest, they care little about the mechanics of it. The other side is that most likely they're blind to their own faults. DLP in general built itself in the early days off of finding quality fiction and formed a liked minded community around that.

I'll generalize and say that we're a very small part of a larger community -- the rest of them? They don't give a fuck, and are just writing to write. Fanfiction at its base form is wish fullfillment. So, do they care? Probably not. They're just writing to write. Should they improve over time is another thing. But in the end, they have to want to improve, and they have to actually acknowledge the feedback they're being given. The other thing is the feedback they're getting actually worth merit? Will it help them improve. There are people that can't write, and there are people that can't give feedback to help improve them. Critical thinking is a skill just as much as writing is.

3. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Minister of Magic

This is my beef. People, for the most part, don't know how to give constructive criticism. They just mirror things they've already read (ie: bandwagoning) or they don't know the definitions of the words they are using.

'It's stilted' and 'it's wooden' are two way overused words that these people don't understand. It just sounds good to say.

'Show; don't tell' is another that people use waaaaaay too much. It's like they just want to see dialog and nothing else. Exposition is a word that is totally unfamiliar to them.

4. Hymsicality

Hymsicality Second Year

I mean good writing is called that for a reason, it conveys ideas better, you feel a greater connection to characters, your setting feels more grounded etc. Surely if your purpose is wish fulfillment, there's better ways to write it. M.Mgregor was basically someone who wrote wish fulfillment BTVS fits which were all great. Do their own words not grate on them after a while? I started off reading shitty Dark!Harry stories and they just gradually stopped being appealing to me. Surely, being so impassioned about a fandom as to dedicate years of your life to it and hours out of your day to write about it means you want to do your best by it.

I honestly think they're just lazy and delusional.

5. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    IDK. They have to have some legitimate belief that what they're writing is good and when you have 2k reviews just saying over and over how awesome your story is, it kind of compounds the delusion. I'm not disagreeing with you. The worst thing I encounter sufing fics anymore is the shitty format of delivery. 300 word chapters and 800 reviews talking about how awesome that shit is. I've always liked to approach authors I think that write well, or at least I find their story interesting simply because I hope that by exposing them to some of the resources they can find here, they'd improve through osmosis if anything.

The funny thing, and I think @Sauce Bauss said this to me at one point or another, DLP is filled with authors that either hate their own writing now, or have moved on from the fandom to do their own thing. That by bringing them here we help them improve to the point where they don't want to write for the fandom anymore or they grow sick of their own writing because of all the flaws they see in it. DLP is a double edged sword sometimes.