1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.7

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jan 31, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. InfernoCannon

InfernoCannon Seventh Year

Explains why it was so good, I suppose. If there's anything that staves in fanfiction has taught me, it's that bigger is better when it comes to magic.

Although, in all seriousness, I don't see a problem with Harry possessing two wands. Whilst I do dislike the idea of a super-powered wand made with rare components, I've occasionally seen fics where professional duellists, Aurors or other careers which are combat heavy have had specific 'combat wands', which were specifically tailored to the individual. Provided the new wand doesn't eclipse the old one, then I fail to really see what the problem is.

2. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

Harry having a different wand doesn't necessarily both me as long as isn't some wand made of two woods fused together and containing three different weird cores, like Dementor's blood (do dementor's have blood?), nundu breath, and some made up creature's hair.

3. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

It is not provided that is the problem.

4. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

If the new wand doesn't eclipse harry's old one, then there is no reason for him to have a new one. If it does, then there is no reason for him to have/use his old one. Which is why new wands are a crap idea.

Additionally, the whole "combat" wand idea or whatever takes something away from the very mistique of wands. Beyond being a tool, they are symbols, both of a wizards power and his magic, and are intimately tied to their master. Giving a wizard a second wand inherently takes away from this personalness of the wand.

The Elder wand is obviously the exception to the rule, and even then might be a less than ideal choice.

So you could say that new wands piss me off, period.

5. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

I agree that a wand is a wand, and getting a "better" wand takes the magic out of magic and turns it into an arms race.

That said, it is canon that certain wands work better in certain situations ("Ten and a quarter inches long, swishy, made of willow. Nice wand for charm work"), so getting an extra wand to deal with things your "main" wand isn't as well suited for would make sense.

6. Rache

Rache Headmaster

No no. What I meant was Ollivander selling wands made of Nundu heartstrings and Basilisk fangs when he himself admitted that wands with him are made of Unicorn hairs, Dragon Heartstrings and Phoenix feathers.

Good one @Heather. Poor Ginny indeed ;).

Except for the Elder Wand, there is no canonical proof that wands themselves are superior to each other. Lucius's wand exploded because Harry's took in the potent skill of Voldemort's one in the graveyard.

7. South of Hell

South of Hell Third Year

Iirc Olivander said something about Lily's wand being good for Charm Work, which implies that some wands respond better in different situations.

But other than those little nuances, yeah there is probably no significant difference between wands (disregarding the Elder Wand).

8. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

While I agree with this, there is a difference between wands for a witch or wizard, as some wands are not suitable for one person, yet a powerful match for another.

Like I said before, I don't mind Harry having a different wand, if it isn't some off the wall thing, especially if Harry is no longer a horcrux or was raised differently to canon. A person's make up and changes to their make up will change what wand will be a perfect match for them. In some stories, the story almost calls for Harry to be matched with a different wand due to how different he is to canon!Harry.

9. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Foreign characters in a story seem to only switch back to their own language for the easy words like yes/no/hello.
    Those also happen to be the words that most readers will recognize.

Realistically, people speaking English as a foreign language would be least likely to switch back to their own language for the easy words. (Unless they wanted to play up a stereotype.)

---------- Post automerged at 10:49 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

Which makes you wonder. Is the charms wand well matched, because you have (or will have) a talent for charms? Or is it independent of that?

10. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

It swelled up due to a 'staff' infection. :sherlock:

11. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Sup guys and gals.

Rose Potter, Lily Potter and whatever OC authors come up with who acts as Harry's sister in a canon story line. Yet to read a story where she isn't a Mary sue and not in love with Ron Weasley or Draco Malfoy.

Hardly. Everyone knows that powerful wizards need a staff for their wands cannot channel their magical 'power' through them after a while without catching fire or exploding. And Harry's 'magical power' is equal to Voldemort's.

12. Thyestean

Thyestean Slug Club Member

I think you mean Merlin.

13. Rache

Rache Headmaster

No. Equal to Voldemort at teen years and Merlin after his magical maturity when the clock strikes for his 16th birthday. Everyone knows that @Thyestean.

14. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Oh, so you haven't seen the ones where she's in love with Harry? :devil:

15. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Badly written prophecies. Good Lord they are awfull.

16. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

This one really gets to me as well. The prophecy is the prophecy. I dislike people changing it. Not only are they terrible at it, but the prophecy is the beginning, middle, and end of Harry's struggle against Voldemort. I won't even read 'Girl-Who-Lived' fics do to the fact that the prophecy specifically mentions 'he' not 'she'.

17. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

Wow, that's... technical. You're really limiting yourself there; what's the point of reading fanfiction if you aren't open to branching off from canon.

18. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

I read plenty of AUs, but the prophecy, just like magic, is part of the essence that is Harry Potter, IMO. Not to mention, nearly all Girl-Who-Lived fics are terrible. Though, Taure's is the exception, it seems.

The only acceptable child of the prophecy is a baby boy born at the end of July of 1980 to parents who have thrice defied Voldemort.

19. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

I see your point. It just seems limiting (at least to me), to not consider reading fics with Harry having a different parentage, gender or even birthday. Quite a few stories end up doing away with the prophecy entirely.

Maybe my viewpoint stems from the fact that I never liked the idea of a prophecy in the first place.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  20. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Prophecies suck XD. People shouldn't be put in situations the have no interest in being in just because seers got nothing better to do.

Not open for further replies.