1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.8

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Oct 20, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

You do realize that JK Rowling used italics in the books for parseltongue right? It doesn't bother me too much as long as the author doesn't use it for every change of personality. like five different fonts for five different people thinking and talking.

2. Jpzh2d

Jpzh2d Disappeared

I wouldn't mind it if it was in italics but in lots of fics parseltongue is shown in-between some weird non-ASCII character that looks like a cross between a dollar sign and an 'S' and it really pisses me off. I'd try to find an example of this but now that I want one, I can't find a fic with it in. When I see it it normally suggests that the author either doesn't understand how they should show us how is talking through text rather than having to tell us with changes in text formatting, or they just think the symbols look cool. Either way it is normally a sign of a bad story.

3. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I personally think that if the author makes it clear what their intention is it's one thing. I too have seen what you are talking about though. But it is a whole other thing when people put in different fonts and give no clear indication of what they are talking about. If you removed the italics from JK's stories you would still be able to differentiate between Parseltongue and English. If you can do the same thing with the fic your reading then they have done their job well.

4. Feanor

Feanor Third Year

One thing that's becoming very annoying is when authors keep putting a person's name at the beginning of every dialogue sentence.

"Harry, I ....."
    "Hermione, you are...."
    "Harry, of course...etc."

Nobody actually talks like that, and it takes me out of the story every time. It sounds like robots trying to imitate human speech.

5. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

The commas are even worse.

6. pidl

pidl Groundskeeper

This one: '§'?

7. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's it.

I put up with it for older stories, but for news stories I pretty much instantly close the window the moment it's used.

8. pidl

pidl Groundskeeper

Mhm, fics blatantly copying older fics are generally bad anyway.

Although '§' is on my keyboard, so it's not like the author is going through a lot of trouble for it.

9. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

What is the symbol supposed to mean anyway? Why is it on the keyboard?

10. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Why? As far as I know that's the correct way to use them. Not that I disagree with the general point Feanor made - seeing the name in every bit of dialog gets tiresome.

Regarding the '§': in Germany it is used to indicate clauses and sections in the law.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  11. pidl

pidl Groundskeeper

12. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Goblins playing a larger part in finance than what is necessary. I've grown to hate reading fics where Harry goes to Gringott's to hear Sirius'/his parents wills or needs to see his "account manager." Normally these fics also have Harry treating a goblin (Griphook) with respect which in turn shocks said goblin. The entire scenario doesn't make sense; if goblins managed accounts wouldn't you suppose Wizards would be more respectful?

I've looked it up and the entire idea of Gringotts acting as this huge financial hub is ridiculous. Just once I'd like to read a story where Harry has a financial advisor.

13. Reiku

Reiku Second Year

Adding on to that, I hate the "Gringotts's credit card" that they give Harry.

14. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

You can't forget the fact that somehow the goblins also know all of the Potter family history. Also my other pet peeve is when we find out how wealthy Harry is. Somehow he owns more than half of Diagon Ally and/or including Knockturn Ally.

15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just once I'd like to read a story where they dupe Harry into paying for an "account manager", who does absolutely nothing, because what Harry has is the equivalent of a safety box.

"Ah, my trusty account manager," Harry said, sitting down in Ripcock's office. "I hope the last six months have been productive?"

"Productive?" Ripcock asked, cocking his head. "Well, I can certainly confirm that your gold is exactly where you left it. As promised, Gringotts suffers no thieves."

16. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Take it a step further and have Gringotts scam Harry out of his gigantic inheritance, all of his titles, etc.

17. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Thread closed because holy shit massive thread amirite? New thread found here.

Not open for further replies.