1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.9

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jan 10, 2015.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Dude what.

What.

I like both HHr AND House/Cameron but damn. That's all kinds of fucked up.

Sounds like one of those stories that you KNOW is bad and you KNOW you should stop reading but you just can't look away.

2. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Personally, I hate both "Wizards Good, Muggles Bad" about the same as "Muggles Good, Wizards Bad." Inevitably, both stories revolves around Bashing one side to insane levels while Wanking the other also to insane levels. It gets tiring.

One of these days, I would love to find a Fic that treats both sides exactly for what they are: different societies that evolved differently, one no better or worse than the other.

3. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Eh, I'm against bashing, but I can't honestly say I want a fic that calls them both equals instead. They're not. You just don't have to go into so much detail about how they're not.

4. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

I'd love just some canon examples for that "equal but different" Wizard society.

5. DarkLordDobby

DarkLordDobby First Year

Let's stop this right here, yeah? The clichés thread just got locked for starting a Wizard vs Muggle debate so let's not do the same thing again.

A pet peeve of mine is stories where Ron is made out to be a brilliant battle strategist just because he's good at chess.

6. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

EDIT: Yeah, good idea lol.

I think Ron has the potential to be a rather good strategist, but more due to his experiences rather than his chess-playing ability. His own feats by the end of DH leave a good amount of scope for that, I think.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  7. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

A pet peeve of mine is when a writer throws in something that looks like it's supposed to be for Original Flavor, (meaning a small detail or characterzation meant to evoke Rowling), but the thing they choose is fanon, not canon.

Like the Tempus spell - some people seem surprised to find out that this isn't canon. And they'll throw it in to fanfics in place of a watch, when a watch would do the same job.

Or Hermione calling Ron anything but Ron. At least in my copies of the books, Hermione never, not once, calls Ron "Ronald." Even when she's bothered or exasperated with him.

So yeah, it peeves me when writers have Hermione call him "Ronald" like they're evoking the Essence of Hermione or something.

To be clear: I have no problem with writers taking the source material in different directions. Unatoned and Wastelands of Time read nothing like Rowling, and they're both excellent.

But a lot - most, I'd say - of fanfiction tries very consciously to write the characters in their original tone. And if you're going to do that, whywolf wouldn't you take the time to go do some research on the characters you're trying to emulate?

8. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Can I add to that, the entire sodding school, including the teachers, placing bets on when Harry and whomever he is paired with become a couple?

9. ihateseatbelts

This is a movie thing, mostly. She does call him Ronald once in the DH novel, though she is invoking his full name... so yeah, that doesn't really count. It's not exactly a canon habit of Hermione's, but it's not exclusively fanon either. Emma Watson's portrayal, inadvertently or no, has essentially usurped the "essence" of Hermione in the public sphere.

Are there non H/Hr examples of this? I thought it was pretty much confined to them. That and Hermione and Draco, disturbingly enough.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  10. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I personally don't mind the idea of the Weasley Twins being bookies trying to make a few extra coins but I can't ever see the teachers getting in on it.

11. Gil

Gil Squib

As a non native English speaker, all I have to say in my defense is that I learnt a lot of my vocabulary from fics, so if the author used it wrong, I probably will too.
    That being said: Mary Sues. Why.

12. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

A pet peeve of mine is how every damn crossover between Harry Potter and another setting that has magic of its own always shit all over everything that has to do with the Harry Potter setting. It is getting annoying.

13. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

With the exception of HP/BtVS xovers, I've found exactly the opposite to be true.

And the HP/BtVS xover thing is one of my biggest peeves.

14. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

One of my major pet peeves lately is something I've seen repeated over and over in Naruto fics: Danzo being described as 'an old war hawk.' Whether it is how he is described in the narration or by character dialogue, its always the same damn description.

'Danzo can best be described as a war hawk....'
    "Danzo? That old war hawk?"
    "Steer clear of Danzo. That old war hawk is dangerous."
    "I should have known that old war hawk would have his fingers in this."

15. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

While I agree with the peeve, I can understand it to a certain degree. Danzo's character lends itself to the term, which is thus often used for him.

16. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

New thing. Tacked on Elemental Magic.

Basically take canon then say 'oh yeah, and there's this other type of magic that also exists and Harry's WTFBBQAMAZING at it'. Usually happens in fics where Harry has already been buffed up to ludicrous proportions (His power level is 20x that of Merlin, AND he's a multi-elemental Shadow-Fire-Air-Grimdark too! The last Grimdark elemental was 10,000,000 years ago and is now called 'God' by muggles!).

Sometimes it's not used for the ludicrous buffing and is instead just kinda... tacked on. I really don't understand that. Why not just have the soo totally leik cool elemental spells be normal spells that Harry learns?

17. ihateseatbelts

Can't agree with this enough. With the way it's usually executed in fics, Transfiguration is sufficient. One of the reasons I like the field so much.

That being said, the exploration of the classical elements (Greek, Indian, etc.) and symbolic uses throughout history are concepts that I seldom come across in HP fanfics. Harry enthralling a Salamander instead of becoming the Human Torch would be far more... actually, never mind.

18. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like the idea of Avatar style elemental stuff in a HP fic, but I've never seen it executed even remotely well.

Pet Peeve; Lupin refusing any sort of help from friends (be housing, money or employment) because he 'doesn't want handouts'

19. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just don't get why anyone would need elemental shenanigans when Fiendfyre exists.

20. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

And fuck the sharingan, when they have the Supersensory Charm!

Not open for further replies.