1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.9

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jan 10, 2015.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Reptile3607

Reptile3607 Third Year

Oops, I arrived late : /

I actually like the idea of Elementals in the Harry potter world. If it was written well, I think it could be cool. Unfortunately, I've yet to read an elemental fic that was any better than "passable." (Can't remember what it's called, will edit later).
    My biggest peeve/rant for today, however, is how there is NOTHING new in HP fan fiction anymore. It takes ages to find any fic with an original idea, and that doesn't just rehash an old storyline. I say bring on the elementals, because at least that's something a little bit new.
    Every single fic I find is a storyline I've read a million times, with tiny changes made to the details. There is thousands of things you can do with this universe- so why do I keep seeing the same shit over and over again!
    I mean think about it. The HP universe- outside of Harry's journey- is basically left un-written about by Rowling.

Magical races, the war with Grindelwald, the Undead, time travel to the future, bounty hunters (Boba Fett style, not just Snatchers), Voldemort being a puppet for something else, Interesting OCs, McGonagall's backstory, Mermen, and a hundred others that I cant think of right now- And that's just the stuff Rowling already hinted at.
    Also, as a side note, where is the epicness? Why no fic with massive army's, world destroying monsters, beings of unspeakable power. Why is it always a character story?

Anyway, that's my rant done for today. Honestly, I'm about to start writing fanfics myself... And NONE of you want to see that.

2. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

Dark Lord Lockhart?

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Of course it was a love potion. I was replying to your earlier post where you cast the Ron/Romilda situation into doubt, namely how could it work if Ron wasn't interested in Romilda, which was a response to Newcomb's post. I was suggesting that this particular potion could've worked similarly to the Confundus Charm, which can be used to trick you into believing something that isn't true.

tldr; There's more than one kind of love potions.

4. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

I think the effects of powerful love potions like amorentia would be obvious to friends, who would realis what's going on and help e.g.HBP Harry recognised the fact that Ron has been dosed

5. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I disagree, the effects Harry noticed in Ron were likely so obviously bad because of the cheapness of the potion.

Amortentia being of far higher quality might not show such outrageous symptoms.

6. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

For the record, keep in mind the chocolates are old, and Slughorn mentioned that age can make the potion stronger.

7. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Amortentia is a little incongruous, when you think about it. You'd think that part of its power would be subtlety.

8. ScottPress

High Score:
    I like to think that with a powerful potion like Amortentia, it's possible to tailor it to the brewer's preference: you could make it subtle to make someone "fall in love" with you, or add/subtract an ingredient to make the drinker act really openly, to humiliate someone, if you so wished. Other kinds of magic are known to be flexible (Shield Charm) and we know it's possible to modify potions (HBP), so why not?

9. James

James Unspeakable

"Yes dear"–ism.

This horrible relationship dynamic, where women always grind their teeth and use the men's full name and men always cringe and pale. And then the men say "Yes, dear" and do what the women told them.

I don't know if that's a cultural thing (and prevalent in Great Britain), or just plain bad romance, but I see it used at least in one relationship in almost every fanfiction. And it's bullshit.

I've even read some fic where every fucking relationship was like this. Argh.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "Yes dear" is a trope in the UK, but it's not about doing what the woman says. "Yes dear" is a joke about the husband ignoring everything his wife says, because he's too busy reading the paper/watching the football etc. to listen to what she's saying, so he just says "yes dear" to present the illusion of conversation.

The joke is double sided too, because it normally involves the woman not really noticing that her husband is paying no attention, and so is also a joke about how all women want to do is talk at people -- it doesn't really matter what the husband says back, because his job is to listen, not interact.

All very tired, borderline insulting, gender stereotypes now, but in the 70s they loved that shit.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  11. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Be that as it may, I rarely read it used in that context, more often it is used like the above where the man simply folds and does whatever the woman has told him to do while visibly terrified.

It's pretty cringe worthy.

12. James

James Unspeakable

So… we have a lot of very cringe-worthy romance based on overused misunderstood gag from 70s?

Damn.

13. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hey dude, happy wife, happy life.

Remember that.

14. James

James Unspeakable

Yes dear.

/10

15. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This.

In HP fanfiction it's nearly always the folding version of yes dear, usually accompanied with "the wife is always right" or "The secret to a successful relationship, Harry, is to bend over to your wife's every demand".

---------- Post automerged at 02:05 ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 ----------

It's pathetic and very similar to meek!Harry/Hermione that accompanies most of the mainstream H/Hr fics.

16. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

Most fanfic writers are tweeny girls who have seen the 'Yes dear' trope used in movies, tv and books but never really understood that it wasn't a female-empowerment message.

On that subject.

I've discovered that I can't read fanfiction written in first person. I'm not entirely sure why, but I think it's because it blatantly drives home the wish-fulfilment part of fanfiction that I very carefully pretend doesn't exist (or that I'm above). When I realise that the author spent hours writing about how 'I' am being mooned over by all the hot guys ever (it's always guys) I start to feel uneasy, as if I should be doing something more constructive with my life. It's like a big flag that says, "You're spending your free time reading the indulgent fantasies of a teenage girl, grow up dude."

17. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've noticed most H/Hr isn't actually about Harry or the romance, it's about Hermione, with Harry being a side character.

Anyway, a petpeeve:
    Dentist jokes. Lots of fics have them, but it's not either not funny in the first place, or not funny anymore. I instantly close a fic if I notice some kind of "witty banter" about "Dentists are sadists, hurr" or "evul conspiracies by that most fearsome occupation, the Dentist" or shit like that.
    Could be expanded to most popular and widespread jokes in the fandom, actually.

18. ScottPress

High Score:
    Dentist jokes are nowhere near close to the most popular. Have you forgotten about ferret!Malfoy?

Not that it's bad if done well, duh.

19. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not near as witty or prevalent as Bumbledork/ Fumbledork/ Bumblebee/ Moldyshorts etc

20. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

How about Dumbledoof?

Not open for further replies.