1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.9

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jan 10, 2015.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

What.

/10char

2. Persephone

Persephone Fourth Year

I managed to make it another 3 chapters before I quit.

3. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I really don't have a problem with that one. Heck, I wrote Harry that way in one of my stories. I guess, like anything, it has to do with intent. For me, it was to help show Harry was so focused on his goal that he didn't think it worth the time to get a haircut (read, do any of the average things a person does in life). That, and it helped give the idea of time passing.

4. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

"...all too soon."

I've noticed a great many people using this phrase, apparently because they've heard it on TV or in movies and thought it sounded dramatic, without stopping to -oh, I don't know- think about what it actually means. :facepalm

It's used to imply something will be happening TOO SOON for someone; that should be obvious!

Either the person saying it is expressing that something is happening sooner than they can best cope with or before they want it to happen or sooner than they're comfortable, et cetera: "My boy, I am afraid the true extent of Voldemort's plans will, all too soon, be brought to light."

-OR- the person saying it (Person A) is trying to intimidate or demoralize someone (Person B) by saying that something Person A wants to happen is going to be happening "all too soon" for Person B... which is good for Person A but bad for person B for the reasons listed above: "Oh, you shall discover the full capabilities of my Murder-Rape-Kill-Impoverish-Bots™ all too soon, my dear heroes."

Instead, people are just using the phrase to make an upcoming event or just a snippet of dialogue sound significant, or ominous, without stopping to realize the phrase makes no sense as they've used it, because the event they're discussing is something everyone involved is looking forward to: "I think we'll be experiencing those earth-shattering, soul-melting, simultaneous, orgasms we've always been hoping for, all too soon, my love."

"It looks like our dessert is going to arrive ALL TOO SOON!" *dun dun duuuuunnn!!!*

What?" :confused:

I beg you to think about what you're writing; isn't that the very least one should expect from an author?

Bingo.

Most people seem to only do it because... I don't know, it seems cool or rebellious to have long hair? Perhaps most damning of all is that it's perceived (largely due to Lucius Malfoy, and no one else, afaict) as being more like a pureblood or more aristocratic within the world of Harry Potter, for males to have long hair (possibly in a ponytail).

There are a LOT of fanfic writers out there who think being more pure-blooded is a good thing, despite it being nearly the entire point of the series that (beyond upbringing/outlook) there is no difference between a pureblood, halfblood, or muggleborn.

But, some authors seem to think it's better to be a pureblood and do their damnedest to make Harry act more like one... or actually make it so Harry is one because *surprise!* Lily was actually a pureblood, and because of that Harry has super mystical pureblood powers that the mud people don't get to have.

Because Draco exhibited awesome, unique, abilities like... crying to a lonely ghost in a bathroom?

Anyway, back to motives mattering: It's like the difference between Harry getting a tattoo (which he doesn't necessarily want) because he has to as part of a crucial ritual or protection spell... aaaand Harry getting a tattoo because it's 'cool' and it goes well with his new lifestyle choices of smoking, getting totally blotto at parties with kids who didn't give two shits about him in muggle school, wearing black clothes and t-shirts with trite and superficially rebellious novelty phrases on them, and having unprotected, casual, sex with a muggle girl(s) he barely knows and met at one of the aforementioned parties.

Because nothing says "I'm honoring the sacrifice of my parents and godfather." like taking time out from actually avenging them to get the tattoo equivalent of the "Three Wolf Moon" shirt tattooed on your shoulder.

Gee, Harry, hopefully your stupid ass will never have to assume a disguise, where having a unique tattoo that directly references your mother's namesake and the animagus forms of your father and godfather might get you and your friends caught, tortured and killed. But, hey, it's not like there's a prominent death eater, close to Voldemort, who knows they were animagi (Wormtail) or that your mother's name was also a type of flower (every single person ever), right?

5. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Animagus twoo wuv. I.e Harry and Ginny become some ridiculous mamal and end up boneing out in the woods. Oh and any situation where Harry is forced to marry someone because of some stupid law or contract that was never mentioned until Harry was like 17. Anytime I see Sirius or Remus say pup a piece of me dies. Rape as a plot device few people can actually pull it off but it usually is just so Harry and Gin Gin can bone and hate Malfoy more. Dumbledore bashing really grates on me and lastly any fic that has this word in it Gray as in not Light side or Dark side needless to say this shit ain't Star Wars.

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Yes, the fires of rage burn brightly! They burn! And they are righteous!
    Warlocke

I think the infatuation with Purebloods is caused by a desire to be part of aristocracy/nobility. That is, the rich and powerful elite. And since most fanfic authors create stories to live out their fantasies through Harry, you can see where I'm going with this.

7. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

The nobility or aristocracy of wizarding society is showcased in canon by the Malfoy family. I do not comprehend any desire to make Harry more like Draco.

8. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Neither do I, but it happens anyway.

9. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've read a few stories that actually have that happen.

10. Persephone

Persephone Fourth Year

Marauder's era fics where:

- any one of the Black sisters are in the same grade or directly above the Marauders. Narcissa, the youngest of the three, was born in 1955. She is 5 years older than the Marauders and Snape, trust me when I say they weren't close in school.

- Sirius is paired off with one of Lily's friends. Especially in fics that don't star them. Especially if the oc is not a compelling character. Their little drama is not interesting to me and gets in the way of the plot.

- Characters are in the wrong house. I recently read a fic where the author not only had Andromeda in Lily's year but also put her in the wrong house (Ravenclaw). It is clearly stated in the books that Sirius is the only Black not to have been in Slytherin.

- Peter is not treated like a part of the Marauders. He was their friend and they trusted and cared for him. That's kind of what makes his betrayal so unforgivable.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  11. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

I'm pretty sure Sirius was infact in Gryffindor.

12. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Is it? Huh.

13. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

Fics where Harry (or another character on his behalf) asks to be treated as normal on multiple occasions, despite the fact that it's a Super! or Emancipated!Harry fic (which is bad enough in and of itself). It's essentially an empty request, because Harry or said proxy usually go on to set him apart from his peers anyway.

For example:

14. Goten Askil

Goten Askil Groundskeeper

Well, the conversation with Sirius in book 4 always made me think that Bellatrix was in their year so it never went out of my headcanon.

I whole-heartedly agree about the rest, though, especially Pettigrew.

15. Stan

Stan Order Member

Marauder era stories have plots? Could you recommend a couple that don't have cringe-worthy dialogue, James doing stupid stuff to get Lily's attention, the Marauders being portrayed as harmless pranksters instead of schoolyard bullies and incessant Snape bashing? Granted, the first two are canon, but I still hate them.

You could probably write an excellent Marauder era tragedy, with Peter's changing allegiance, the paranoia of war destroying Sirius and Remus's friendship, James and Lily forced to go into hiding fearing for their son's life, and all the first war stuff, but almost all Marauder era stories I've read (which, to be fair, aren't many) are insipid school dramas, and those are boring as hell.

16. Persephone

Persephone Fourth Year

Yeah, most suck. That's why I generally avoid them. I think the key is to avoid ones that take place at Hogwarts because 99% contain clichés.

17. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Any story where Harry uses a sword as a primary weapon.

Was just looking for Mass Effect crossovers, found HP crossover, dropped it half a chapter in because of the words "Harry reached for his sword".

18. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Mass Effect doesn't even really have swords. What the fuck.

But seriously, why would you ever use a sword when you have a wand.

19. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Conjure a sword, banish it at someone.

/shrug

20. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well they do have omni-blades. And Kai Leng and the phantoms do have swords.

Not open for further replies.