1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Republic, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ_1ZZSNFuQ&NR=1

It is set to be released on May 20, 2011. Sad that we won't be seeing Will as captain of the Dutchman.
    Thoughts?

(I couldn't find one, but if there was a thread or a discussion about this somewhere, then I'm sorry. Kindly point me to it)

2. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

My thoughts are as such: On Stranger Tides is Pirates of the Caribbean years before the movies, ten times better. So get the fuck out of my books, Dinsey.

I don't see this ending well.

3. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Sad? Are you fucking kidding me? Not to rip on Orlando Bloom or anything, but he was just such a wet blanket in the Pirates franchise, with his charisma and screen presence just diminishing with each film. I'm thanking all heavens he's not in there. Little irked that Keira Knightley's not coming back, simply because she's very watchable in the Pirates movies, but we got Penelope Cruz instead, which I'm reasonably pleased with.

But of course this movie is built for Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush to be comedic gold and insane off of each other, and with the welcome add of Ian McShane, I'm actually pretty psyched for this film. But then again, I've always really liked the Pirates franchise as a whole.

Vash: I don't think they're entirely acknowledging book canon when it comes to the movies. I'm aware of the time placement of the book, but I think this movie is really gunning for a very different plotline and just using the title for the movie. I could be wrong (haven't really read much of 'On Stranger Tides'), but I think this is actually a direct sequel to 'At World's End'.

4. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As I recall, Jack took part of a map leading to the Fountain of Youth in "At World's End," so I'm reasonably sure that's the case.

Jack was always the best part of Pirates. I see Will and Elizabeth's story as over, so I consider it a good thing that they're not forcing him in somehow.

5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Agreed, but being the Captain of the Dutchman now, he had the possibility of kicking ass and generally being a badass, appearing when the others were fucked or some such, which sadly we'll never see.
    But for all we know, it could only make him more irritating, we'll never find out.
    It is, since it's got to do with
    the Fountain of Youth, the map of which Jack found at the end of At World's End
    Edit:Ninja'd by Sion Revan :/

Am I the only one irritated with the constant appearance of ultimate bad Pirates being the embodiment of pirates? First it was the Black Pearl itself with Barbossa, then Davy Jones, and now Blackbeard.

6. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

Looking forward to it, Barbossa is awesome and was my favourite character after Jack. Sucks that Keira Knightley isn't in it though, always thought she was a great actress and Elizabeth was a good character when played off Jack.

Is anyone aware of decent Pirates fanfiction by the way?

7. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Davy Jones will always be the baddest most badass pirate that ever pirated D8

On topic:

Sweet & Sour

Disney will pull its normal shit, and make this novel like they do their fairytales: barely recognizable and infinitely more light-hearted than than the original story ever was.

Doesn't mean it won't be entertaining.

8. Red Aviary

High Score:
    I've never even heard of anything called "On Stranger Tides" before this.

9. Potterondrugs

Potterondrugs Seventh Year

While you shouldn't pre judge films, This promises to be one of the worst pieces of garbage this year. Then again I'm not sure it can get much worse than Keira Knightley declaring herself "king of all pirates ever" and Keith Richards turning up and doing a bad Keith Richards impresstion while smirking at Depp and thinking aren't we clever?

10. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

...I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume you didn't enjoy At World's End?

11. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Despite hating World's End, I can't help but feel excited every time I see that trailer. I'm really hoping it'll be good. Sounds like it's going to be more in the spirit of the first, rather than trying to string out a complicated plot, so I'm optimistic.

12. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Yeah, I don't see this working out well. The second and third movie were giant pieces of shit, I expect this one to keep the tradition up.

13. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hated World's End and Dead Man's Chest.

Probably not going to bother with this one.

14. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I only enjoyed the first movie, and prefer to ignore the existence of the dreadful sequels. Sadly, I probably end up seeing the new movie due to peer pressure.

15. Nae

Nae The Violent

Wut? There are BOOKS?????

16. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Like with the Matrix trilogy, I was one of the few people who enjoyed the second movie. In both instances, they aren't better than the first. Not at all. They're different. But enjoyable in their own ways. However, both third movies were terrible. For Pirates, far too long, with too many convoluted plot threads, some of which went nowhere.

If this movie stays truer to the first movie (or even the second), I'll enjoy it. Unfortunately, the trailer didn't impress me.

I'll miss Kiera Knightley. Orlando Bloom not so much.

17. Potterondrugs

Potterondrugs Seventh Year

The second movie was entirely pointless because there was almost zero plot progression. A lot of stuff happened but it dident mean much in the end, and Orlando Bloom almost made me scream in anger. His acting is so wooden, and you could tell that they started( and finished) shooting without a completed script. They just threw together a bunch of random plots in some form of a movie.

18. Red Aviary

High Score:
    I liked the first best, but even if the other two were sub-par in comparison, plot-wise, I thought they were good in their own right.

19. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

I'm a PotC fanboy at worst, an avid fan at best, but I have reservations about this film. A large part of the appeal for me in the first film was the way Will and Jack played off of each other- and Jack was only intended to be a minor supporting character in the first drafts of the script besides.

So I'm pretty disappointed in the way the sequels were handled- not so much Dead Man's Chest (which I thoroughly enjoyed, despite the substandard dialogue), but the way the dominoes came down in a shower of convoluted, ill-explained plot points in At World's End.

The first movie was undoubtedly the best- they were out to prove that a pirate movie could be done, and they did so successfully.

If they can pull off that same style of supernatural intrigue and mystery from the first film that drew me to the franchise in On Stranger Tides, I'm all for it.

20. Rym

Rym Auror

If you're not simply regurgitating lines from the Ninja Review of Pirates of the Caribbean (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAf-idhAbyE&feature=player_embedded) .... I'll be extremely surprised.