1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plagiarism - The Chronicles of Camelot

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lord Raine, May 26, 2014.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

I was slumming it in the backwash of substandard fics when I ran across a little gem called "The Chronicles of Camelot - The Snake, The Boy, and The Chamber" by an author named blackshadow111. Now, this isn't a fic I'd ever recommend to anyone for any reason, ever, as it's basically the author publicly masturbating their own substandard world building (and I use that term very loosely, because saying Middle Earth, Algelasia, Westeros, and Dresden Files have all 'happened at various points in the last ten million years' is world building is like saying a punch to the throat is filet mignon) in between wanking off a massively overpowered Mary Sue Edgelord Superpowered Harry. It's literally the exact writing style and manner that Lionheart has, as if we ever needed any more of that anywhere for any reason.

While enough to make me hate you forever, and myself for being bored enough to still keep reading your fic, this still isn't actually a crime, sadly.

But when you literally copy-paste the entire Censure scene from jbern's The Lie I've Lived into your fic with only the barest token attempt to even edit it to make sense in the context of your own story, I take some rancor over it. The relevant bit is about halfway down.

For the uninitiated, I'm also providing a link to the relevant chapter of The Lie I've lived, which also, coincidentally, happens to be about halfway down the page. And if you haven't read it yet, consider this a recommendation that you should.

This fic also appears to be up on HPfanfictionarchive. Blackshadow is also a member here, under the exact same name he used in the other two places and openly advertising Chronicles of Camelot as being his first fic in his profile, because apparently intelligence is not his strong suit. Not that that wasn't obvious to begin with, because really, if you're going to plagiarize something, at least do it from a fic that isn't wildly popular with an absolutely massive viewcount that literally invented the plot concept you're using.

Since jbern isn't around to defend himself, with his most recent activity anywhere I can see being over half a year ago, I figure it falls to us to do so in his stead.

Strike a blow against stupidity, laziness, and greed, and help me report the moron.

Also, mods, if this isn't in the right place, feel free to move it to where it belongs. Fanfic Discussion is the closest match I could find as far as topics go.

2. Photon

Photon Order Member

Is there any way to report something that will result in some reaction from ff.net staff? I am not aware about any effective method.

"The relevant bit is about halfway down." - can you post quote from start of plagiarised passage?

3. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

This takes laziness to a whole new level. I'm almost impressed.

4. Lord Raine

I can.

And so it goes down from there. Shadow, in his infinite wisdom, kept the scene almost completely as is, except for the very end where instead of simply leaving and letting the idiots and jealous pricks hang themselves with their own rope, Harry transfigured a chair into a golden throne, sat in it to lord over the room, and used his power as Lord Gryffindor to boot everyone who voted against him off the Quidditch team, elevate the one person on the Quidditch team who voted for him to Team Captain, de-badge every Prefect in the house, and then create a new position for Neville and some random female OC that held all the combined authority of the Prefects until such a time that new Prefects could be assigned, not by the staff, but by Neville and the girl.

Yeah. I'm not joking.

5. Photon

Photon Order Member

I send complaint to webmaster@hpfanficarchive.com

I am not going to bother with ff.net

And this guy really worked hard to keep plagiarism as blatant as possible while making this scene absolutely terrible.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  6. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Reported this but more importantly. holy fuck Raine, how the hell can you read this?

7. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

Seriously. Not only the pretty awful plagiarism but there's some pretty awful spelling in there too.

8. Lord Raine

Because I read 100 chapters of Partially Kissed Hero and up to the then-current chapter of Chunin Exam Day (approximately 85, give or take) purely for the vindictive pleasure of mocking the living hell out of it.

The MSTs were posted on Hawk's forum, not here, but still. The fact remains, that even if I don't publicly mock horrible fics, I still mock them.

Also, I found something in chapter 16 I felt like sharing.

9. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Dark Lord Potter huh, wow that is so hammy and clichéd what a dumb name,
    [​IMG]

10. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Huh. I didn't know demanding good spelling and syntax equaled being narrow-minded. I just thought it equaled taking pride in what a person did.

Now I know.

11. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Huh, large parts of chapter one bear a remarkable resemblance to chapter 13 of Circular Reasoning.

I'm experiencing a serious case of déjà vu right now. Because I could have sworn I'd seen this same scene ripped off before.

Oh god, in chapter 3, he rips off the name Sharr. Actually, make that a good chunk of CR chapter 4 as well.

Edit: I fucking give up. He rips off CR. The End. I am not reading anymore of this shit and you can't make me.

Edit 2: ???? I hope that rant isn't aimed at me, Raine. I already reported him on the first chapter, I just couldn't be fucked to read past chapter 6. Speaking as somebody who's already been through this, shit all is going to happen by reporting him. It's only through publicly calling him out that anything might happen and considering his lack of embarrassment over blatant plagiarism, I doubt even that.

He's a troll looking for attention. He's just manged to accomplish it on a larger scale than most.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  12. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Good lord. Just had a hotel staff member come and ask me if I was alright, I was laughing and coughing so hard.

13. Lord Raine

I showed you the crime, provided the links, and by all accounts, it should end there. This isn't the place to mock this truly, incredibly, horrifically bad piece of fiction. A new thread would have to be made for that particular purpose, and seeing how people on Hawk's forum bitched about that last time I did it with Lionheart, I probably won't do it here.

But. As it turns out, there is one last piece of information that needs to be shared. Specifically, the author's notes on chapter 19.
    It's one thing to plagiarize from someone else. It's one thing to steal something from somewhere because you were too lazy to do the thing properly yourself. That's one thing.

It's an entirely different kettle of fish when you openly brag about stealing entire paragraphs and scenes line by line from other books and pieces of fanfiction, and then have the sheer audacity to DEMAND PRAISE FOR IT.

Shadows is not merely a plagiarist. He is a proud plagiarist. He is an open plagiarist. He freely admits to stealing content from a vast base of sources, and what's more, claims that he is an inherently better author than any of those that he steals from.

You hear that, Swimdraconian? Shadows thinks he's better than you. He believes that he saved your ideas, your words, your scenes from the dungheap that was your work, and elevated their status by placing them in his.

He thinks this of everyone he has stolen from. And I assure you, having started going back and comparing lines, holy shit has he stolen from a lot of people.

The balls, the gall, the sheer fucking audacity of this, literally beggars belief. One almost imagines that it can't be real. It has to be a joke. This is a setup, a ruse, a gag, a troll, a practical joke. Surely, there cannot be somebody this stupid, this self-absorbed, this greedy and lazy and arrogant. It must be a troll, a gag, a ruse, a joke.

But there is. And he is standing here before us, openly demanding praise for his wanton theft, his proudly-professed plagiarism, his licentious literary larceny.

I implore you, if you have viewed this thread and have not reported him, please take a moment of your time and do so. I've already reported him on both fanfiction.net and hpfanficarchive, and would hope everyone would be willing to do the same. This kind of behavior is truly beyond disgusting, and should be discouraged as violently as possible wherever it can be found.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled reading.

14. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

First, little shit reported. Second, Raine, that was beautiful, it reminds me of Sree and Tinn destroying An Aunt's Love. A tear came from my eye.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  15. LoyalFenian

LoyalFenian Fourth Year

Man, what a fucking narcissistic cunt. Reporting now.

16. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

17. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah. Hah. Serious props to you for catching this, Raine. Reporting now.

18. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Holy shit, report incoming. I want to see this cocklord rage when his shit gets removed.

19. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I reported it. Anyone note that there isn't a specific "plagiarism" choice anymore? It's just, "Not property of uploading author."

20. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hang on. The jbern bit? Top of the chapter, he's added a disclaimer saying that a segment of the piece is "total credit" to jbern, after which he declares "arse covered". I don't think he understands how plagiarism works.

Not open for further replies.