1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

PLAGIARISM

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Rache, Aug 3, 2015.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Mkis

Mkis Super Sleuth

I smell a troll. And not only at FFN.

2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Bastard copied my fic before I even had a chance to post it on FFnet.

Please take steps to report this fucking guy.

3. Rothak

Rothak Squib

I've been a lurker on this site as well as several others for some time. But when I noticed that he is plagiarizing work from the actual contributors, (which I have read quite a bit of your work) I actually went and reported every story that I knew was stolen from other authors. I think I put in about 20 requests overall. It can be hard keeping the origins of each story straight.

4. jedifox

jedifox Squib

High Score:
    I'm not sure that his FFN profile photo is actually him. He could have easily copied it from anywhere on the internet.

The ban hammer needs to come down fast and hard on this guy. Maybe have his IP address reported.

5. _GitGud_

_GitGud_ Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't think its possible to prevent something like this. Simply copying and re-uploading DLP stories can be easily automated. You could probably make his life a little harder by implement captcha codes for viewing WBA stories, but even that can be circumvented by hiring a cheap foreign company that answers captcha codes cheaply thanks to near slave labor. You could figure out who's stealing the stories by implementing useraccount specific small variations into a trap story that can be easily recognized after it was stolen.

edit: example how to implement variation
    DLP has 12000 users, so we would need 14 indicators/bits to cover 16384 user accounts. You could add an extra space between two words at specific intervals and set the 14 "bits". This could probably be build into a large variety of stories since you could specify that this will be done to the first and second word of the first 14 sentences or something else along those lines.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  6. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    You don't need anything that complicated. We can time log when a story in WBA is first 'live' to when it is stolen, and already narrow down the number of possible culprits down to 100 or so based on the number of views.

Do that for a couple of stories, and you've already winnowed it to maybe a dozen accounts.

Which DLP account is being used: we already have that information available to us. It's an issue of whether it's worth Raven or whoever wasting time trolling through the backend finding the necessary data when ffnet isn't in a hurry to do anything and it's not exactly difficult to make a new account and make five posts.

7. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm still of the inclination that ignoring the person and just routinely banning the guy on ffn will be more effective. Clearly he's gunning for a response. Let's stop giving it to him.

8. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

IMHO there seems to be some "personal" component to this than some generic "trolling"/mental nut job . He was really focused on you with his silly account names and at the time you weren't really that active here, anymore.

So why did he choose you? Maybe there's some different connection here than this website. Aren't you people active on irc? Clashed with somebody there lately or on some other forum? Wrote some scorching review with your nick?

Just releasing 1-2 chapters of a lot stories isn't really plagiarism to steal somebody's work and pretend to be their own but more about attention by spamming or annoying people, mostly from this site.

9. _GitGud_

_GitGud_ Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, one could write a counter bot that handles ~50 ffn accounts and automatically uses google to identify stolen stories and then mass reports the uploader.

10. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I believe that's explicitly against FF.net's rules.

11. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

The problem with that is that the administrators of the ff.net site don't respond in a timely enough fashion. Other than that I'm all for not giving this guy the response he's looking for.

12. Mkis

Mkis Super Sleuth

FFN admins may not have the best response time, but eventually they'll get there. If due to nothing else, just because the guy's made himself such a pain in their asses. Am sure they're already paying attention to him.

Until then it's better just to report and ignore his pathetic trolling existence.

13. James

James Unspeakable

Fucking assholes ruining good things.

Please die.

14. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

This thread being the notify-thread, feel free to use it for exactly that.

We are doing what we can, and FF.net hopefully does what it can. There isn't really much else to say.

15. Silver

Silver Disappeared

High Score:
  16. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Who cares.

Thread locked.

Edit: In particular, if you want to alert a DLP author to plagiarism, PM him. All subsequent, new threads concerning this issue will be deleted. -Sesc.

Not open for further replies.