1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(d/t) V

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

That sounds very American Gods.

An interesting premise mind you. But I feel the power creep would be totally out of hand.

2. TheTycat

TheTycat Third Year

High Score:
    Power creep could definitely be a problem. Too many highly skilled wizards running around for centuries longer than normal is certainly an issue, especially if there's much room to grow past Dumbledore's canon skill. But it could work if there is a limit to how powerful a wizard could get in the context of duels. I imagined wizards hitting glass ceilings and then transitioning into more esoteric magic that's less directly useful in a fight. Horcruxes should also mean power creep is less important. If you and your opponent are practically immortal, straight up fights are going to matter less. Duels between the really powerful wizards should be rare events. Indirect attacks to discredit a wizard's concept or supporters are the more common conflicts.

3. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Okay... I can't get a scene out of my head. It's an alternate Python gag.

HP/ASoIaF

Setup:
    Figured Gringotts finds a way to get HP back for screwing with their rep and swiping their dragon. They tell him to get his shit and get out, so he visits his vault and they shut the door behind him with an ominous, "Gringotts will have their due."

Later:

He finds himself rebuilding Moat Cailin, because he really doesn't have anything better to do, it's in the middle of nowhere, and people are oddly twitchy about magic in general. Basically he's the Walder Frey of the crossroads of the North and South, only not as much of a dick.

Scene:

Robert and caravan are heading north to annoy Ned. They come to a halt at the Fortress, because the Kingsroad/causeway is blocked where it really shouldn't be.

Harry pops his head out one of the tower windows to see what's what, only to find a pissed off and drunk Robert.

"OURS IS THE FURY!"

"Oy!" Harry yells back. "Did you say you're a furry, mate? Not really something someone randomly yells. Not that I can't see it. Lots of horses. Say, you're not a brony are you? Fucking bronys. You got a thing for Pinkie Pie, mate?"

~ and then it kind of devolves from there.

4. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Posted by Sesc in the Muggle Protection Act thread:

Which brings the question, what if Arthur and Molly stopped having kids after Percy? There'd be no twins, Ron or Ginny.

In-universe, how would the events of the plot play out?

Obviously Harry will have to find a different friend (Neville?) in Gryffindor. Harry's would-be wife doesn't exist either so he'll end up with someone else. Not to mention the fact that the entire plot of Chamber of Secrets will be different.

5. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

Harry Potter adopted as the son Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers, Leatherface and Freed Krueger, together. A master of mass murdering, he changed Hogwarts.

6. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So is this a four way polygamous marriage, or is there a First Husband in this arrangement...?

7. MrBucket

MrBucket Fifth Year

The war still rages when Harry is in his late 20s, but Voldemort and Harry are forced to set aside their differences when global warming causes something ancient to reawaken in Antarctica. A Harry & Voldemort quasi-partnership where neither try to kill each other, but they don't try too hard to save the other when dealing with eldritch fuckery.

8. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

Harry didn't have a 'power he knows not' when Voldemort attacked him, and he still didn't have one when he was left on a doorstep like a package not important enough to require a signature... But after a decade of being shut in a cupboard he certainly did.

"never forget Wizard Baruffio, who said 's' instead of 'f' and found himself on the floor with a buffalo on his chest." and never underestimate Harry Potter, because not even Dumbledore can predict what his nervous stutter will leave you buried under.

9. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

More like they have a mutual agreement. I can't really imagine, or don't want to for that matter, how a relationship between those men would be.

10. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    But they've adopted a young child together. Surely true love is not that far away.

11. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

Think what you want to. in my opinion, they love Harry equally (somehow that paints a weird image in my head) and know that they can never beat each other, so an agreement.

12. TheTycat

TheTycat Third Year

High Score:
    Jurassic Park in the world of Harry Potter.

Magic has existed since the dawn of time as far as wizards can determine. Fossils and traces of ancient magical species inspire awe and more than a little fear. The modern age holds few true threats, and few have avoided confinement or near extinction. Wizards have tamed the world. When muggles begin experimenting with cloning ancient animals, they cannot account for magic in their ignorance, and bring to life monsters so old no wizard has ever faced them. Muggles lose control of these horrors, and before the wizarding world realizes the threat exists, it's too late to stop. Fast breeding species have spawned out of control, the intelligent ones have learned to hide, and maladies have spread into both muggle and magical populations. Diseases and curses more awful than dragon pox or a werewolf's bite instill chaos in humanity's defense. As Harry comes of age in the 90s, the problem cannot be swept under the rug any longer.

The idea is basically an excuse to run wild with imaginary creatures. The only real plot I could figure was Voldemort swaying more people with supremacist rhetoric as fear pushes the wizarding world into a strongman's arms. The timeline maybe off. Jurassic Park takes place in the early 90s, but the cloning has been going on for years. The outbreak could be pushed to later when Harry's an adult and in a position to play a bigger role worldwide although Voldemort would have to be cut out then.

13. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

here's the idea-
    Voldemort didn't rise, he instead took a different to banish the MBs (muggleborns or mud bloods). This changes the whole world. In the idea, Ron Weasley is an 35 year old aurora who is currently celebrating his last day at work. He was hit by a dark curse during a fight that caused him to be medically unfit for work. He can work, but the rules don't permit him. In his last day, he receives a case, multiple homicides. Throughout Britain, there have been several murders of wizards, mostly pure bloods who don't have that much wealth or influence. All of them have been killed by gun shots, and the bodies are found to be completely devoid of all magic, as if they had been stolen from them. The ministry suspects Muggles and Muggleborns, naturally. In the midst, Lord Black, not Sirius, and Lord Malfoy push theWizengamot to accept a new law which prevents Muggleborns from entering the WW. Ronald is unable to complete the case, as he believes it was not the work of Muggleborns but is unable to find any other evidencesuggesting otherwise. Caught in the midst IS Hermione whose parents are suspected. Even after he leaves work, he decides to investigate the case, and in that moment, his mentor Auror James Potter, suggests that he seek the help of his distant son, Harry. Ron meets Harry, who is highly intelligent, observant and has no little to no value for wizards or witches or muggles. The only people he has any respect for is people who study magic deeply, or use it to its full purpose, meaning the only people he values are the unspeakables, his mother who is one of them, and Dumbledore. Harry has a deep understanding of magic, like it speaks to him. It doesn't mean he is a superhero, just able to understand magic on a higher level
    Okay, this is the idea, how is it? Will it work or will it flop?

14. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Harry sounds like a wanker.

If you're gonna start writing, do it in your mother tongue. Learning to tell a good story is tough enough without having to do it in a language you don't have the best grasp of.

15. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

My mother tongue is Malayalam and I think I can write much better on English than it. Most of my mistakes come from my typing speed, and sometimes due to my tense mistakes.
    BTW, idea is based on Sherlock. And the Harry thing is similar in Worthy Of Magic, I think.

16. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I remember reading A Butterfly Effect by SlyGoddess many years ago (I believe it was my first Fem!Harry and fist fem!slash fic). The fic has aged very poorly but damn did the author really take the story off the canon rails and had tons of interesting ideas.

One of them was this meeting point for powerful witches and wizards. I don't remember how it worked exactly; either is was a little pocket dimension they could visit, a neutral ground they could meet and discuss ideas, or the former but they met each other in this place in their dreams. It's been ages since I read the story but I've been putting off a reread because I'll probably regret it.

This lead me to the idea of powerful wizards making pocket dimensions. Think in Diablo II where that powerful ancient sorcerer had his own labyrinth (I believe the word used was sanctum). It was a world crafted by its master, a world where he bent the fabric of reality to his whim. These aren't things like expanded rooms, but rather actual (if small) worlds created that can only be accessed through certain secret means.

So this is the idea: powerful witches and wizards guard their research and knowledge jealously as knowledge is what makes someone powerful. One of the things a powerful witch or wizard does to show off their power and to leave a powerful legacy is to create a sanctum, a place of proof and research, to store that knowledge. They then leave a mechanism for worthy future generations to find and access it, for what purpose is your knowledge if it is forever lost? Making these sanctum is not easy, no book will guide you except for the beginning steps, it requires a very powerful understanding of magic.

I'm not sure where I would take this concept, only that I think Voldemort would have one, except he'd have no means of others accessing because he is immortal and will never die [/sarcasm]. Dumbledore would also have one as would Grindelwald, and I think Snape would be the person to try and create one (not sure he'd get there, but it's clear he's the sort of person to experiment, a clear prerequesite).

Not sure. The problem I see with this is the main character (presumably Harry) would have to be a very capable wizard, the sort of person who might grow into a Voldemort or Dumbledore tier wizard one day.

17. TheTycat

TheTycat Third Year

High Score:
    Sounds cool. Given that the books typically involve investigating one mystery or another, it'd fit well I think. The Philosopher's Stone is hidden in a founder's, Dumbledore's, or a more generic headmaster sanctum. The Chamber of Secrets is Slytherin's sanctum, the Room of Requirement is Ravenclaw's sanctum with more a difficult entry, etc. That might get a little to close to other story's having founder rooms in Hogwarts, but it could be fun to twist those into something more original. Maybe Hogwarts as a whole is a sanctum. Harry has to figure his way into them to save the day, and this forces him to grow as a wizard. Voldemort presumably hides horcruxes in a sanctum, and that throws the typical horcrux hunt off the rails.

18. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

Something I had when reading Dodging Prison and Stealing Witches.

Normal Wbwl world, with Dumbledore knowing who is the true BWL, but chooses wrongly. Oc brother WBWL is spoiled but smarter and powerful than usually portrayed. Dumbledore's plan comes to a stop when Harry becomes a Slytherin. Eventually he tries to get Harry labeled a dark lord, which gets successful when he puts Harry's name in the TriWiz tournament. But Oc brother's name also comes up and this leads to problems. Harry loses his magic in the tournament and leaves the WW.

Harry then goes insane, became a mass murderer, who takes down guilty, and those who annoy him. He dies in a shootout. The God of Prophecies, Apollo meets him on the way to hell. Apollo is angry that his prophecy wasn't fulfilled, so he makes Harry go back in time, and fulfill the prophecy and become the master of death. To get additional power, he makes Harry Lord Slytherin.

Thanatos, the personification of Death comes to know of this, and is angry because Harry would become his master, so to prevent that, he kills Oc bro and orders him to kill Harry and also Voldemort. And he makes OC lord Gryffindor.

Both of them trying to kill each other as well as trying to kill Voldie makes the story, and Harry hunting down rogue wizards with his experience as an insane mass murderer also forms a part.

It is really similar to DP&SW, but it has enough changes too.

19. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Yes, it is somehow worse and more clichéd. Bravo, a great achievement.

20. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

Thank you.