1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(t/d) III

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 14, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fuck off. I wrote that. :3

What is Fiendfyre? Baby don't burn me~

Fuck off, that's boring as shit. :\

2. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Merging worlds wouldn't work. Part of constructing crossovers is understanding when the tones, aesthetics, and systems of the worlds are fundamentally at odds. Shifting one world earlier in the chronology doesn't resolve that.

Naruto and Harry Potter in a merged-world kind of crossover would be retarded. It would be like a turd sandwich on a grill. Not only does it taste like shit, but it covers the grill on which it's cooked with shit. You can't set down this path, because as soon as you cook that turd sandwich, other sandwiches - which are your future, potentially non-shitty plots in this metaphor of mine - will be covered in shit too. This grill is your mind, and one turd sandwich will soon become many turd sandwiches.

Do you see?

Let's just take it one step at a time:

The merged-worlds scenario is stupid, so that leaves two possibilities: characters from Harry Potter entering the world of Naruto, or vice-versa. I don't want to read about stories where there's Harry and then the rest of the cast has Japanese names. Why? Because it's retarded that's why. Here's this British kid surrounded by these Caucasian-looking people with Japanese names.

Magic-casting and the jutsu-based, cartoon-style combat of Naruto would look just as silly in the same story.

This reasoning applies to both these alternatives. Harry would be constantly WTFing at all of the fetishist outfits and Naruto has the double whammy of two worlds to get used to - the Muggle world and the wizarding one.

Using an analytical approach, we see that all options are retarded, and therefore closed to us.

Lungs' story is probably the most workable way to do such a crossover, taking an idea like the sharingan and bringing that isolated element into the Harry Potter world.

My last word: Complete (interacting-worlds type) HP/Naruto crossovers are a sin, and should be expunged from all seeds of thought. Keep the shit off your grill, boy.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  3. Lungs

High Score:
    Boo~

It can be done. I know it's possible. You just don't have a complete xover. You just have to be great :(

4. Countess Whitewing

Countess Whitewing First Year

How about removing the whole 'Dumbledore planned this' part and it being merely an accident? Bellatrix uses her not-so-lethal spell because besides her cousin being a blood traitor, he's potentially the only male Black left since Marius is a squib. Sirius falls through the Veil and instead of ending up in Greece, he ends up in some part of the Commonwealth like the Falklands or something. Unspeakables take him into custody, do the whole Truth Serum/Pardoned/Name cleared deal. But wherever he ends up there's some sort of conflict going on there, he gets enlisted by said Ministry to be a part of the conflict. Which keeps him from returning to Great Britain immediately. Conflict last as long as the mess in Britain and Sirius is still somewhat in character. :sherlock:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  5. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Naruto, lol.

'nuff said.

6. Hw597

Hw597 Seventh Year

@ lungs okay that would most definitely have come off as arseholish.
    In my defence I had no idea it was you and that was my genuine opinion of at least the first chapter. I stopped reading after I Flitwick came to take Harry to Diagon Alley.

@ Andro- Damn I genuinely thought I might have managed it. The act of typing out a loose structure started to solidify it in my mind. Please forgive me if I don't completely throw out the idea yet. I am certain I can make it work. (Though clearly not for Jormungandr)

7. Andro

By all means, if your grill is strong enough to handle it.

8. Hw597

Hw597 Seventh Year

If it helps. I have made a note to myself not to use any japanese (I don't think I would have anyway). Actually further than that I might stay away from any (or at least the majority) of Naruto names. I mean most of the stuff I mentioned is simply world building that won't actively appear in the storyline. The stuff that will appear, is meant to be millenia old. Stuff can get renamed a hundred times over time.

So no Draco saying,
    " Filthy Mudblood, I am descended of the Hyuuga. You are nothing to me!"

but perhaps

"Filthy Mudblood, I am of the True Sight. Your test scores mean nothing. You mean nothing! Your bloodline is as common as shit and no matter what, you have no worth in our world."

-sorry got a little carried away

9. El Duderino

El Duderino Groundskeeper

Let's be honest Lungs, even you didn't think you did it well.

10. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ...I kinda liked that story...

11. Darthgrim

Darthgrim First Year

I liked Kaleidoscope because of the huge amount of cool magic, it was badass.

12. Lungs

High Score:
    That's one of the only thing about it that I really like, tbh~

I really put loads of thought into all the spells I could craft, etc.

13. Hw597

Hw597 Seventh Year

I can only shrug and say the start of your fic ruined any potential it might have had for me. It is possible it may have later become better but the beginning of a story is the most important part, yours was not good. Too many cliche's, illogical and eye roll inducing moments. Without trying to come off as a prick I would suggest you consider rewriting at least the first chapter. I will leave a detailed review of what I found wrong with it in your story thread.

14. Lungs

High Score:
    Kk. I'm doing a rewrite of the whole thing anyway, though that's been slow going~ I do have to finish the last two chapters of it first though. D8

15. knuckz

knuckz Seventh Year

I actually started a crossover of HP/Naruto once, though I never really got past the first scene, since I had too many other stories in my mind.

The premise was actually not a mixing of the two worlds, but a war between them: Hogwarts was a military school (Hogsmeade being a much larger city that completely surrounded the school), Muggles would be given special devices to aid in the fight despite not having any magic themselves, and Muggleborns were prized commodities. HP would be the prophecy child to fight against the ninja, Naruto his opposite. So I suppose the term 'crossover' is a loose one, since there's still a separation of the two series.

I wonder if I'll ever actually finish this. Maybe as a one-shot glimpse kind of story.

16. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

See, while I agree that merging the Naruto world and the HP world together is going to be a pain in the ass no matter what, I still think it can be done.

For example, a plot bunny that struck me a while ago was a situation where Naruto and HP are in the same world, but separated by countries. You know, HP in Britain/Scotland, and Naruto in Asia or some shit like that. Anyway, the story opens up with Naruto being assigned a mission to go (either solo or with a team) to check out/intervene in Britain.

Basically, Voldemort's actions are spilling over into the rest of the world as his influence grows, and the hidden villages are justifiably concerned. Thus they send some scouts to check it out.

Another main plot point in this story would be that the hidden villages are in fact hidden. Hardly anyone knows of their existence besides the other villages and those who need to know.

From the point of Naruto's discharge the story would follow the war and the Naruto cast's gradual involvement on both sides. Never really thought about it much past that point, but I feel like it could work.

Also, in regards to the whole real world/cartoon angle, I usually don't picture the anime in my head when I'm reading pure Naruto fanfiction anyway. As long as you don't include any ridiculous anime shit like facefaults or sweatdrops, I doubt that particular aspect of the crossover would be an issue.

17. Andro

What, like ninja villages are Japan's version of Britain's wizarding society?

18. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Wouldn't that just end up being a bastardized version of the 'magical' middle-ages? Like with hidden towns, and such?

19. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Pretty much, yeah. Or you could even take the Dresden route and have it be a common component of society that the civilians aren't bothered by because of the presence of samurai to counter the ninja. Or something.

Eh, not really. As I said above, it could go either way. I just thought it would be cool to make the ninja black ops to the extreme. They wouldn't be hiding in fear or anything like that, considering they have complete monsters like the Kages on their side. It'd be more because of a mutual desire not to bother modern Japan with their wars.

I mean, let's face it, ninja wars do a lot of fucking damage. Take the most recent one in the manga for instance. One battle between little more than a dozen beings and an entire forest is completely leveled. Granted, this is a battle of supreme demon lords, but meh. It'd be low key, yes, but they'd be willing to intervene in the 'real world' when needed. Sort of like guardian angels that can kill you with a few funky hand gestures.

20. Lungs

High Score:
    Perfect Lionheart's fic. Just. What. The. Fuck. :\

Not open for further replies.