1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(t/d) III

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 14, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Peace

Peace High Inquisitor

This could work, though you'd have to work out the particulars of how you're going to keep him out of Hogwarts. It'd be a way to explore Beauxbatons (sort of like how Santi's BWL explores Durmstrang) and a way to kickstart a Harry/Fleur relationship if nothing else.

That said, this could very easily become a massive screw up that's condemned to the horribads thread.

2. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    If he has been banned from Hogwarts, I could easily see Durmstrang and Beauxbatons refusing entry to him. Whilst we couldn't be sure that the other schools would hear the reasoning, they might. It would also depend on Lucius' reasoning. If he wanted to keep Harry stupid, then he would make the proclamation public, maybe even sending the minutes of the meeting to the Prophet or such, but this could keep Harry out of magical education entirely, or force him to hire tutors.

If Lucius wants to keep Harry from being in Britain, he might go along the lines of "Well some children in Hogwarts have parents that are locked up in Azkaban because they supported Voldemort, but we can't force those students to leave as they haven't done anything wrong. Therefore Hogwarts isn't safe. But what's this? Beauxbatons doesn't have anybody related to Death Eaters? What a coincedence!"

3. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Dumbledore would never allow it. Simple.

4. Alive and Free

Alive and Free Groundskeeper

I think you're overestimating the power that Dumbledore has. CoS and OotP show that outsider (Board of Governors, Ministry etc) can and will interfere at Hogwarts. CoS also shows that the Board of Governors can be threatened by Lucius.

@Thaumologist - that's why I imagine Dumbledore having to call in some pretty hefty favours to get Harry admitted. Plus, with the recent war and knowledge that a lot of young people flocked to Voldemort, I imagine that there's a certain paranoia in the British wizarding world about students associated in any way with dark magic.

5. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nothing to do with his actual power and stuff. He's not Voldemort - he doesn't throw his weight around with no regard for anyone, especially his student's safety, etc.

6. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

And I think you're underestimating Dumbledore; someone as Machiavellian as he would have plans within plans for such an occurence.

7. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

When has Dumbledore been that manipulative? I can't recall any instance of him having anything more than a half-baked plan.

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The entire series was one big plot by Dumbledore to have Harry sacrifice himself in order to remove the pseudo-horcrux in his head. I'd think that counts as Machiavellian enough.

9. Alive and Free

@Jorm and Aekiel - you're assuming that Dumbledore would a) be manipulative and b) would need to get rid of a horcrux.

10. Peace

Peace High Inquisitor

Here's a question - would people here actually read A&F's idea?

11. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Yes, he raised Harry with the sole purpose of killing him, but he accounted for the other horcruxes solely by flying by the seat of his pants, and then didn't even seem to have any sort of concrete plan to take out Voldemort himself. His plan worked because of sheer luck, if Malfoy hadn't disarmed him the whole thing would have fallen apart. He basically only planned till the middle game.

But if you have other examples of Dumbledore being a successful manipulator and not being at the mercy of the Board or Fudge, I'd be glad to hear them.

EDIT:To be clear he is manipulative, the issue is about how effective he was.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No, he had planned to have Snape kill him, thus taking the Elder Wand. That was his plan, and it was fucked up because Draco managed to catch him by surprise. He'd planned for the end game, but that plan fell apart, which is why book seven was very much a seat of the pants ride. Hell, he even had a look of triumph upon finding out that Voldemort had taken Harry's blood into himself.

Dumbledore was as manipulative as they come, and it was only through luck that his plan fell apart at the end. He had planned his death, it just didn't work out the way he'd wanted it to.

13. El Duderino

El Duderino Groundskeeper

To be honest though, the whole point of an AU, is that the author can do whatever the fuck they want, as long as they do it well. The idea itself could either be decently (or even brilliantly done) but it all comes down to whatever the hell you want to do.

I can see it being done well, but also terribly.

14. Alive and Free

Has anyone ever wondered what would happen if it was Dumbledore who went back in time and not Harry all the time?

15. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

I've seen a few. They are invariably bad because almost no one can write a good enough Dumbledore to have him take such a large part in a story.

It is a decent idea though...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  16. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

You're definitely right, if you're going to have Dumbledore as an important character in your story, it's true that you have to be able to write him really well. Unfortunately few can, which is a pity as he is one of (if not the most) the most interesting characters in canon.

I actually really want to see Ryuugi write some Dumbledore now after seeing his old Harry. Could be amazing.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  17. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Here you go.

18. Alive and Free

That was what prompted the question.

19. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Dumbledore is an immesensly powerful character - he can beat/survive against the two more recent Dark Lords, he runs the biggest/best/only magical school in the UK, he is pretty high up in International politics, and he is the head of the courts in magical Britain. On top of all that, Dumbledore is a friendly guy, people like him - Hagrid is a great example, but there are certainly more people like that out there.

If he has any control over when he would come back in time to, he would come back to when he holds all these positions. And then he would curbstomp anyone. Reading about Harry going back in time can be interesting because he is, effectively, powerless. He might be able to use his fame a bit more the second time round (see Oh God, Not Again), but Harry does not have control over much at all. Dumbledore can basically do whatever he wants. And unless whatever he does is batshit insane, nobody will stop him.

20. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

I have a feeling that he'd probably go back to before his sister was assaulted and prevent that from happening, and then make a secret side trip to Germany sorrowfully off Grindelwald. While he was there, he'd probably go down to Austria and off Hitler, but I have a feeling that he's savy to Hitler's Time Travel Exemption Act, so he might not. Then in 1928, he'd probably apparate into Tom Riddle's orphanage and AK baby Tom.

Not open for further replies.