1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Inspirations And Where You Take Them

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by 0jordinio0, Apr 23, 2014.

1. 0jordinio0

0jordinio0 Seventh Year

I always felt that the eye Itachi received from Shisui went to waste in canon. Inert's Patriots Dawn - the very beginning scene of that gave me some inspiration on this idea. Itachi warning Naruto of the looming threat from Akatsuki and leaving him a gift in the form of Shisui's eye to better help him prepare. In theory it would be a good fail-safe against Madara aswell since it would probably make Naruto near enough immune to Sharingan-hypnosis.

The idea in my head for it was something along the lines of an Anbu Naruto trained by Kakashi alongside Sasuke who didn't suppress the memory of awakening his Sharingan.

Naruto's overall goal in it is to get strong enough to take on S-rank criminals quite like in Patriot's Dawn. Danzo of the story is torn- he wants Shisui's other eye but Naruto with the eye could possibly control the Kyuubi fully and become a great weapon for Konoha. So he can't decide what option he wants more, the Kyuubi jinchuuriki under his control or a stronger Kyuubi Jinchuuriki not under his control ready to smite Konoha's enemies.

The new release of Shisui's Susano'o just made me like the idea more because his green Susano'o is boss. One thing that made me wonder in this fanfiction is a possibility of an Eternal Mangekyou. Could Naruto gain the EMS if he took the eye of Shisui that Danzo had and fuse it with the eye he already had? Or whatever the hell you do to make an EMS when you steal your siblings eyes.

...Anyway, I'm intersted in what story plots you guys have came up with and not got around to writing yet. Or just how they were inspired in the first place.

2. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Most of my plots are fairly simple - I don't like to make them convoluted in some false-attempt at making a story arbitrarily interesting. Most of my ideas are actually just taken from other fics I've read. Usually that happens when I read a story and am disappointed with how it was handled, or I just think I can do that idea better.

An example would be the '05-'07 style indy!Harry fics that people for some reason still write. I'll tell myself that I can write the same story and make it more interesting, and less cliche and not use magical cores, animagi forms, inheritances, knockturn alley shopping trips with magical trunks and occlumency books.

Or, it could be more simpler than that. After being disappointed with the current state of HP/DG fics, i'll set myself a challenge, like write a harry/daphne story without any arbitrary contracts, or previous parental friendships, and without calling anyone a snake or ice queen. That's not too much to ask for, just a straight forward fic.

It can be even simpler too, such as: write a 4th year Harry/Fleur fic without contrived age-gap bridging. Not as easy as it sounds obviously, but ffn is sorely lacking in straightforward concepts like that, so I take it upon myself to try it.

For cross-overs, I usually stick with the 'what-if's - such as, what if Harry Potter was a member of the organization that Simon paid to rescue River? Or what if Dumbledore was a member of the White Council, and brought apprentice Harry Potter with him to witness Molly Carpenter's trial? Straightforward stuff.

3. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Or, "what if Fleur Delacour was a teenage-cougar"? :p

4. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I always found the age-gap (when they're both teenagers already) thing a complete bullshit and non-necessary issue, since witches and wizards could live well past a century, barring a spell or an accident. A three year gap is nothing really.

Also, chompers.

5. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Hmm, I got a fair few story ideas on my hard drive but most of them I've never really wanted to write anyway. I often end up deleting them when I realise that regardless of how much I've developed it, I don't actually want to write it.

Among those I do want to write, there's Mokuton!Naruto which is literally just a butterfly effect fic based on what would happen if he awoke the Mokuton at some point. Inspired by the general lack of such stories and a desire to experiment with Mokuton-style senjutsu, though that was before it came up in the manga.

Then there's a "What if Madara had actually died?" AU which creates a fairly interesting world I'd like to write about. I think the divergence just popped into my head one day and I rolled with it.

Finally, there's a Bleach fic which has Ichigo awaken his powers against the Grand Fisher and he subsequently awakens the spiritual powers of all his friends. Kubo was originally to have all of the humans involved in adventures but couldn't because of the editors rushing him which I was always thought was a waste. Not sure if I'll ever get around to it with the way the manga's progressing.

I don't I've ever had a story idea for HP. Though I don't even read HP fanfics anymore, bar a tiny number of exceptions, so it's not much of surprise.

6. 0jordinio0

0jordinio0 Seventh Year

There's totally not enough Mokuton!Naruto fanfics. but I'd like to see more fanfics exploring Naruto with different Bloodlines like the Sharingan, Mokuton, Dead Bone Pulse or hell even the Chakra Chains of the Uzumaki that Kushina had - Karin totally didn't deserve them because she's lame as hell.

Sage Mode - Naruto's to be precise was completely nerfed and made rather un-important until the fight with Obito. I can't be sure of just how physically strong he was but that Rhino summon of Pein's that he tossed with little effort over a hundred feet into the air had to weigh at the very least around 15 tons. What kind of physical strength would he have straining to his limits?

I see alot of fanfics where Naruto in Sage Mode actually punches people in the face and I can't help but shake my head in disappointment. In the fight against the six Pein's, he struck the chakra absorber one with just his projected aura - not his actual fist and 'killed' that Pein. If he punched someone in the way in Sage Mode nevermind their skull still being intact it would just turn to slurry man.

Your bleach idea sounds interesting. Do you mean the first time Grand Fisher appears and kills Ichigo's mother or when he re-appears and Ichigo goes bat-shit crazy trying to kill him?

I've read a story kind of similar - it was published before Isshin was revealed to be a Shinigami though. Both his parents died and then Ichigo was killed in a car accident protecting Karin and Yuzo and because of his regret leaving them behind he turns into a hollow. He stays around to protect them and kills and devours any hollow that appears in Karakura.

It was pretty awesome how he evolved in that fic. Anyway because his spiritual power is always leaking out his sisters gained Spirtual energy aswell as Chad, Orohime and Tatsuki because they kept checking in on Ichigo's sisters to make sure they were fine.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6917183/1/Our-Hollow-Brother - Link if you wanna check it out. It's pretty good overall, although I was quite leery of it because the author has alot of slash fanfics under his name and in his favorites.

7. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

8. 0jordinio0

0jordinio0 Seventh Year

That's a pretty interested idea. Although in the grand scheme of things Xcution aren't all that strong.

Well, Tsukishima and Kogu are pretty strong. But they don't really compare with the captains. Ichigo absolutely destroyed Kogu in their fight. But I suppose that's why you had them come earlier before Ichigo gets Bankai and his hollow mask.

I enjoy fics where Ichigo's hollow powers are explored more. Tensa Zangetsu got it right during their fight - 'Always Getsuga, never Cero.'

9. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

The biggest one, the one that's stuck with me for 10 years and still hasn't gone anywhere, is my 7th year HP story. I've always felt that Rowling never really did anything interesting with the last HP books.

Issues like morality were more or less brushed aside and Harry had no damn character development. The quest of finding the horcruxes, which should've been an awesome Indiana Jones-esque adventure, turned out to be painfully boring and riddled with stupid.

The main idea of the story would've been to expand on the war and the world of Harry Potter, to move the seventh book towards a story with plenty of action and where Harry and the gang has to make actual difficult choices and then life with their decisions.

10. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

The main Naruto plot bunny I had stuck in my head for the longest time has since become a fic written by Roarian (Team Tobi), thanks to several long discussions on IRC.

The other one I'd often thought about was more or less anticipated by the author of Naruto: Great Clan Days, which was a pleasant surprise once I started reading it. So basically, the Warring States Period never ended, and Naruto is born in Uzushiogakure. I'd even envisioned Nagato as clan head of the Uzumaki.

Finally, I have this strong desire to write a good Naruto/Dragon Ball crossover, but my initial attempt (Konoha's Great Ape) needs a thorough re-write to increase its quality before I can ever progress on that front. Alternatively, Naruto crossing over into the Dragon Ball world and using ninja tricks to take down vastly more powerful foes has always been a favourite concept. Hell, even Krillin could have killed Frieza with a well-placed Kienzan if he'd had better aim.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  11. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

I'll just be playing a video game or something and be like "Hey... What about this?"

Or I'll be insanely bored and my mind makes up crap, it depends on what I've been watching lately, as to what my plot ideas seem like.

I rarely sit and try to think of a plot, ideas just pop into my head at weird times.