1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Fan Games

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Alindrome, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

So you can sit in the gym the entire game while punks challenge you? Probably not.

2. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

No, so you can leave in order to follow a random kid on an adventure, holding up anyone else that wants to get a rock badge for how ever many months. :awesome

3. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I haven't played Pokemon in years, nor have I checked out any of the new or recently finished fangames. Anyone been keeping up with them and have recommendations for me? Prefer non-RPGXP games because I like to play them on my phone.

4. justsomepeople2

justsomepeople2 Squib DLP Supporter

5. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Afraid it's a RPGXP game, but I've been playing Pokemon Insurgence - it's great.

Here's an album showcasing some features of the game. Some of its best appeal is that it has three different difficulty levels you can set, and trust me hard mode is hard. You can also enable/forfeit various different challenges, such as nuzlocke, egglocke, no pc runs, and random modes.

The graphics are pretty nice too (it gets even better the further in you get), and it has a lot to it, gameplay-wise and content-wise. Check out that album.

[​IMG]

6. MoltenCheese

MoltenCheese Seventh Year

There's a game called Pokemon Ash Gray. Basically, you get to play as Ash and go through the events of the anime. The awesome thing about this game is that while you can do the things Ash did (get Pikachu, Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, etc), you can also divert from the anime by, say, not releasing Butterfree/Pedgeot or capturing a sexy Nidoking like I did.

The game's still under beta, but you still can get pretty far. Beta 4.5.3. (Newest one) allows you to travel across Kanto AND the Orange Islands, although the latter arc is yet complete unfortunately. Also, when a new update comes up, you can easily patch your previous version so that you don't need to restart the game :D

If you're gonna play, a tip of advice: Don't evolve Charmander. If you do, he'll disobey you for the rest of the game until pretty much the end of this version :O

7. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Played this one, loved it. Definitely would be worth me playing it again, especially because I'm pretty sure they added more episodes since I last played it.

8. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Man, insurgency looks insane. So many amazing featured.

9. justsomepeople2

justsomepeople2 Squib DLP Supporter

I really dislike that game. The mapping is shit, everything is way too open and straight. No natural lines at all, it looks like it was designed by a robot.

The last time I played, there were also a shit ton of spelling/grammatical errors, it just pissed me off.

They did put a lot of work into it though, so hats off to them. Making a Pokémon game without RPGXP takes a while.

10. MoltenCheese

The latest update covered the "Charizard Chills" episode and the Second Pokemon Movie. According to Metapod, the creator, the next update will conclude the Orange Islands Arc and have the Orange Islands Championship battle against Drake, so that would probably be awesome! :D

I didn't really have that problem. Maybe because I played on the newer versions of the game. There aren't many grammar mistakes, and while the maps are a bit robotic as you said, in my opinion it's better than most fan-made ROMs.

11. ufosighted

ufosighted Banned

High Score:
    I have not seen any of you guys mentioning it but Pokemon Reborn is pretty decent, pokemon are really scarce early so it makes you make use of what you have, and there are a lot of events to get pokemon other than capturing them in the wild. e.g. You find a girl who does not want the pokemon her father got for her, so she offers to trade it with a specific other pokemon (buneary).

12. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Insurgency has been ridiculously good fun, but also tricky as fuck, really need to grind your team, a mistake I made in not doing. Took me about 4 hours just to get through the 2nd Gym.

Started with Delta Charmander

Team at the moment is

Delta Charizard
    Fraxure
    Haunter
    Donphan
    Lucario
    Swampert

13. Alindrome

In hard mode, you can't grind past a certain level cap - all xp you gain after reaching it is reduced to 1. 'Hard' mode really takes the name seriously.

14. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

I remember when it offered to let me do a challenge and I imminently went with god no.

Mega Beedrill though, that was nightmare and a half. I had to go back through about 3 cities battling every trainer I skipped for money, which I then spent on slaughtering Audino's in the Secret Base.

Need to get to the City for the 3rd Gym, taking a break from it at the moment just reached the first town after the Dumpyard battle if you're that far ahead.

15. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Professor

How far did that dlp game from earlier in the thread go to being made. It sounded like there was a bit of progress.

16. MoltenCheese

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I remember enjoying Pokemon Brown a lot. While it is a GBC ROM hack (Pokemon Red Graphics o_O), it was still pretty fun playing it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  17. Elemental

Elemental Squib

High Score:
    Yeah, I'd like to know that too.

I played some Pokemon hacks though most were patched roms. Pretty limited.
    I used game shark and breezed through the games.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  18. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

You two seem interested to know, so I whipped up a quick and informative chart to show about how far in we got.

[​IMG]

As you can see, I've had to update that last bar in accordance with this conversation's very existence. And fun fact, it all actually lines up with the universal Collaborative Project Progress chart that usually applies to all but a select few - we call them unicorn projects - situations, including here on DLP.

[​IMG]

(Let's not start thinking anything that'll have me have to add that last column on this chart to the first chart.)

19. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You forgot that vague maps were made by Vaguegeist.

and lutris/drome/me/you I think. there was one with waterfalls in the ice gym area that was legitimately beautiful, and the world map was designed so you could go anywhere you wanted from early on with branching storylines which would have been nearly impossible to code.

20. Alindrome

Aha! Found it.

[​IMG]