1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Nicknames (and World building Questions)

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Jester, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I was wondering how people felt about this?

I have started doing some world building using the anime as a bit of a base for me to expand and mature. I just don't know if nicknames would work well or if I should just avoid them like the plague?

The first thing I thought of was a history of Gary's dad being the one who made the Oak name famous. He had an Arcanine that was his most recognizable pokemon named Svarog. He was the Blue General who led the Indigo League military against the Unovian Invasion. His death is the direct catalyst for the Indigo surrender.

The structure of Team Rocket is based off his military structure and the Yakuza of Japan. Giovanni was an officer under the Blue General. blah blah.

Does the Arcanine having a nickname detract or is it totally unoticeable?

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Depends entirely on the character. If it's in character for the guy to name his pokemon, I say go for it. If he's military through and through though, I'd say don't.

3. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No nicknames devalues them too much as characters imo. I can't see how you can care for something yet refer to it by its species.

That being said, not caring for them or naming them can be used as a character trait too for someone like Giovanni.

4. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

From a purely practical perspective, nicknames can make it hard to remember which pokemon is being mentioned, especially when returning to a story after a few weeks between updates. When you have 6+ pokemon all with their own names but no dialogue or personality to associate with them it's very difficult to keep track of who is who.

If it's just one or a few pokemon with a nickname it should be more than fine. Just personal preference really.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I don't read/play/watch a ton of pokemon, but I'm accustomed to most of them being referred to by their species. Especially in the case of the protagonist.

A few with nicknames can work for me, but Fatality hit the nail on the head -- it's hard to keep track of them if they don't have big enough roles to make them as full characters.

In the example you give... perhaps the story is told of his amazing Arcanine, just like you tell it... but the name of the Arcanine is more trivia? It doesn't mean he didn't name it, it just means that most of the world knows it as "That badass Arcanine that the General had" as opposed to Svarog, even if that was it's name and some people are familiar with it.

6. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I can see a starter having a nickname. Your first pokemon, the one you have bonded the most with. I disagree that a lack of a nickname makes them less of a character. Hell, I'd postulate that if you are relying on something as superficial as what is it called to provide any tangible character development, something has gone awfully wrong.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  7. Jester

I didn't really think of it as more then giving a recognizable name to the more important pokemon. It makes sense to me that it may be hard to keep track. I recently read the latest chapter of Traveler and had no idea which pokemon was out or being talked about until a few sentences after.

That was kind of the idea Cheddar. It doesn't really mean anything it was more of a symbolic thing. A legend of Kanto and his awesome sauce Arcanine. It was my thoughts for how to give some back story to Gary and why he would be drawn to certain pokemon.

Also it was a binary for Ash's father. Not famous, just a nobody. Important only to his son and possibly some lingering feelings from his abandoned wife.

I'm trying to give a bit of similar but different aspects to the Rival to make the relationship more then a random encounter like in the actual anime.

I always felt like Gary was underutilized, really nothing more then a foil to show how bad Ash is in everything.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  8. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

You are under obligation to make a Red vs Blue comment at least once.

But I think that maybe naming his pokemon would let you develop Ash's character. Like if he were trying to just skip all the crap and focus on finding his dad, he wouldn't take extra time to train them to respond to their name. And if he were going to be like anime Ash and develop bonds and love each and every one of them individually like a person, then he would give them nicknames.

Don't let that being like anime Ash discourage you. Heart-wrenching moments where he loses his beloved Zippo would not only allow you to attach the reader, but also develop his character further, provided he did not just angst.

9. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Kanto losing to Unova? EAST SIDE STRONG SIDE, GEN 1 FOR LYFE. On a more serious note, Kanto and Johto seem to be somewhat aligned considering they share a champion/E4. Explaining how Unova beat Kanto without Johto involving itself will be complicated. Maybe having Sinnoh as a deterrent, Unova committing to many forces to an invasion means Sinnoh invades them. Hoenn would also have to be involved in some manner.

On the matter of nicknames, eh I never used to bother before Nuzlocke. Certain pokemon like starters or ones with deeper connections is understandable, but naming a random Caterpie seems stupid. Considering you would have to take time to get it to respond to something other than Caterpie.

10. Jester

Well its more to play off the USA vs Japan in WWII aspect. Art imitating life.

The Indigo League also refers to Johto and Kanto. Hoenn was "Ireland" during this period, with Sinnoh being considered a cultish outsider compared to everyone else.

Them worshiping Arceus was kind of a please stay on your island by yourself type of thing.

I think it'll be an all or nothing type of thing. I was already leaning towards no nicknames. So everything you guys are saying rings true with me. This was mostly about Ash and naming his pokemon. I think I'll keep the ideas about the General the same though.