1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

PokeOne - New fanmade(unsanctioned) MMO

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Myduraz, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

This one just hit open-Beta and I'm having a good time so far. I was previously dabbling in another Pokemon MMO called PRO which was made by many that started this new project aswell. PRO is largely an enhanced ROM version of the first four gens, with PvP, PvE(Boss encounters) and so on.

This one is a bit different:

Currently two generations are mapped, and as the video shows it's quite a step up from the current Pokemon MMOs out there. It's still in beta though, so end-game isn't all there - It's enjoyable though and quite a bit is already there.

Breeding isn't planned, which is nice for people that are aiming to get into PvP at a later stage and lowers the barrier of entry. It also differs in that resource gain post-story is mostly based on questing in order to combat the botting that has been prevalent in other games. Naturally, being a somewhat simplistic game this isn't a full measure but it's a solid attempt at inhibiting it.

Apparantly you can play in a party aswell, which sounds amazing, currently doing night shifts at the summer job though so havn't caught any of my friends online to play with yet.

Download link can be found in their discord as the website isn't up yet: https://discord.gg/bNYRTFn
    Currently only available on 64b windows, although MAC, 32b and Android is planned to be released soon (Android later than the others).

2. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

They're taking money for lootboxes? I give it until the end of the month.

3. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Hmm! I'll give it a try - if I can get it running. How does this compare to other pokeMMOs?

4. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    England's world cup performance means I'm under quota for disappointment so far in July. Will download.

5. Myduraz

Esperjones - It does have lootboxes, which contains currency and cosmetics. You also gain loot boxes by being online. I view this as a contemporary necessary evil in a f2p - and the rewards money give are mainly cosmetic. The currency can be used to reroll IV's, i.e. you can reroll more if you pay for it. I understand this is somewhat of a turn-off in part, but I'm personally fine with it.

Palindrome - I've tried PokeMMO which was lacklustre due to the breeding introducing a high barrier of entry to PvP and played quite a bit of Pokemon Revolution Online (PRO). This is essentially PRO 2.0 with updated graphics and mechanics, most other things are pretty much the same as PRO as I've seen so far. The game is still noticeably in beta, with performance issues here and there, lacking end-game content to some degree as already stated, but definitely playable and personally I find it enjoyable and even preferable to the already 'complete' PRO.

- Probably not perfect, but for someone whom enjoys Pokemon it's definitely worth a try.

6. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

@Imariel - My point was that fangames can generally pass under the radar but once you start selling stuff you bring down the wrath of Nintendo's lawyers.

7. Myduraz

Mayhaps - PRO, i.e. the devs earlier game, has been doing the same thing for 2 years. That said, if it does "blow up big", that might indeed be the case. If it skirts somewhat under the radar they probably won't notice/bother. It is why I won't spend money myself after all.

8. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Nintendo is notorious for its IP protection. If there's not a C&D letter already being written, I will eat my hat.

I can't see this game lasting more than a week or two, unless they go full open source and get that shit all over the web.

9. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    My Bulbasaur has shit IVs and no obvious way to give a nickname. -3247529514151/10, would nuke Japan again.

10. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If they are making money in any way off of this game they are super fucked. There's not a single chance that Nintendo lets this go on the moment it reaches them.

11. Alindrome

Oh yeah, it's double fucked. But I like it so far! It's really pretty - loads of love has been put into the 3D objects and environments. UI is mostly okay, but the battles are tedious - everything goes too slowly and if you're using a mouse and keyboard there doesn't seem to be a way to select moves without clicking buttons. Is there some way to speed up battles I've missed?

I'm level 10 right now. They throw so much free loot at you: I'm decked out in a full ridiculous outfit already.

What usernames are you guys sporting? I'm Palindrome in-game.

12. Myduraz

Can shut down any day Nintendo pursues it - I'm merely less concerned due to PRO operating in exactly the same way for 2 years, with people that were banned/mad in general saying they were going to mail them and get the game shut down. That is in no way a guarantee this game won't be shut down(PRO is still operating), but it is an instance where a similar game has continued operating over time.

As for game lag/optimization, seems to vary by time, was fine yesterday but there was apparently some issues today with the new update that fucked some things up. It's still beta and a hobby project, can only hope it stabilises.

• No quick keys in this game yet, but it does exist in PRO so it's probably on the list for this one as well.
    • No ways to give nicknames, they're considering making it work locally but it's low in priority.
    • No way to speed up battle as of now and nothing said on the subject. I'd suspect them adding graphics for the attacks rather than speed.

Them throwing loot at you is why I'm less concerned about the loot boxes, you get them naturally while playing.

Im using the name 'Myduraz'.

Edit: At summer job doing night shifts and my laptop is a MAC. I.e. no playing at work until mac client gets released. So much wasted time REEEE

13. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Vladmiral

14. Alindrome

I am now level 25 or so, and look. Decked out in beautiful edginess. :'> The lootboxes have been kind to me.

[​IMG]

We should get a DLP guild and all dress up the same. Maybe stand around together in an imposing line.

15. Myduraz

16. theronin

theronin Order Member

I accidentally killed the one shiny I saw on day 1. RIP.

Game isn't bad, but it's a struggle to play with the server issues right now.

17. Myduraz

Server issues are indeed annoying, I've just accepted it's a hobby project that just got into open-beta and is overwhelmed. Mixing it with Civ 6 and some RPG games whenever it's laggy and/or server goes down.

I almost didn't notice my shiny (Kakuna) either, the S symbol is present but the shiny spawn sparkling from PRO doesn't seem to be included yet. Good luck spotting the next one :)

18. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Fuck this game and fuck the lag first i ended up replacing mankey's low kick with swagger and then bulbasaur didn't learn razor leaf.

I will never ever ever ever complain ever again about confirmation requirements.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee