1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Book 13 Blurb

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by fuubar, May 14, 2010.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Laws are designed to prevent humans from using magic that upsets the fabric of reality or is innately harmful to the caster and other humans. The First, Fifth, Sixth and Seventh Laws are to do with reality (since bringing back the dead is against the natural order of things, and going back in time/contacting Outsiders is a bad idea purely on a common sense level), while the others (transforming/psychomancy/enthrallment) are obviously bad for humans to go through, and in the case of psychomancy and likely enthrallment, derail the caster's sanity as well.

2. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Hmmm, haven't seen the RPG. I'd assumed that during the first book that Morgan was just being Morgan, especially considering how fast he actually backed down.

And if it says that the Wardens are to use there judgement on the case than I can't see them getting into much of a tizzy over Dresden coming back. Some (more like almost all actually) of the old guard don't like him but the only thing that they're going to have been hearing about recently is how he exterminated the Red Court, that probably earned him a few Brownie points. In the end, if the Council even considered it they would be in as deep of shit as they were immediately following LaFortiers death.

3. Aekiel

High Score:
    Remember that he used black magic to kill the Reds though. The bloodline extermination curse is the same one Victor Sells used in Storm Front, and Harry was in danger of being executed simply for researching it at that time (since he was still under the Doom at that point).

4. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

True, but all he did was kill Susan. No magic involved on his side, so even Morgan would just beat him a little for a good measure and let it pass in the end.

5. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Yea but at the same time he won a fucking war for them, and he did it by killing a Red Vampire (Susan was not human at that point, remember that apparently grey area in the laws?). Political institutions do not survive by executing their heroes. Eb would literally cunt punt quite a few people, as would his allies on the senior council, also remember Luccio backs him, as do a large number of the Wardens (Steed, Ramirez, and god knows how many others that he helped train). The council will want to keep him around, he's there new Morgan.

"Oh yea, you wanna fuck with us? Well we'll sick Harry Dresden on you! Last time he went out and played he exterminated our enemies entire species, and then didn't even stay dead after someone killed him!"

Yes, he and some of the Senior Council disagree and spit on each other at every opportunity, but at the same time when the monsters come knocking on the proverbial door they know that they are on the same side (as much as they would like the other to be on the other side but that's life/politics for you).

Edit: This is all assuming that he doesn't stay the Winter Knight for some time. If he does there is no way that the White Council is going to want to mess with him as they aren't going to go out of their way to pick a fight with Mab. And then if he does get out of it well above reasons + all Dresden says is "Well I wasn't going to argue with Mab when she did her thing, why don't you go accuse her of breaking the Laws?"

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Fix'd that for you.

I need to check out the RPG information. I didn't realize it had been released. Also gotta find that AAAA Wizardry story or whatever it was, still haven't gotten 'round to that.

Harry triggered the Dark Magic that wiped out the Reds. It also killed some half-Reds, whatever they count as. I'm guessing that some of the Grey Council other than McCoy broke a few laws that night too if there were more mortals around shooting at them.

And even if Harry didn't intend to break a law about reaching beyond the borders of life or whatever, that might not matter. He still did it / is doing it.

Eh. Honestly I think Butcher can twist it to his liking whatever he chooses to do. Nothing seems to be Black & White lately, so it gives him some leeway. I can't wait for moar!

7. Aekiel

High Score:
    True, and I agree, just pointing out a couple of things.

On your second point though, Jim has already said that Dresden has become the boogeyman for all the supernatural beasties out there. Hell, even Warden kill teams are afraid of him, as we saw in Turn Coat and this is before he became Winter Knight and died. Once he comes back to life I reckon he'll be the Most Feared human in the world, and pretty high up the ladder of Most Feared in general.

Just think of what this will do to his reputation.

He has, in order, fought an Outsider and lived, killed a Loup Garou, started a war, became the emissary of Mab, killed the Summer Lady, fought a duel with mordite, halted an Apocalypse, gained a Sword, desposed the White King in secret, Sue, stormed Arctis Tor and lived, tortured ghouls, fought in a White Court death match, resisted the Temptress, fought the Gruffs, gained Soulfire, foiled the Denarians' scheme again, killed Nicodemus (or at least appeared to), gained another Sword, became a buddy of Uriel, fought one of the Naagloshii and wounded it badly, revealed the traitor in the White Council, became associated with Odin, became Winter Knight, and finally annhiliated the Red Court of the Vampires.

All in all, he's been a very busy guy these past 12 years.

8. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

No clue what your talking about ;)

I was just flipping through his forums again and found this No time skip for book 13. I know a lot of us had been under the impression that it was going to be a full year in book time between the books.

Edit: @Aekiel, makes you wonder if anyone would actually be willing to try and execute him. :)

9. Aekiel

High Score:
    I thought that was the Side Jobs novella that Jim was writing for the short story anthology.

10. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

I can see it now "Harry Dresden, you have been accused of breaking the Laws, we have been instructed to bring you before the White Council... PLEASE DON'T KILL US!" or something to that extant.

11. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

That's what I had thought as well, but it pretty clearly says Ghost Story.

/me shrugs

I'm just reporting it.

12. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

That's rather interesting if true. For a shortcut, here's the Twitter question and answer referred to in the above link.

I suppose it would still be very possible to keep to the "one Dresden book = ~1 year" formula though. Maybe the passage of time is sort of squirrely for ghosts; that way you could traverse an entire year's worth of events in a single book, vs. the usual few days. Or maybe Butcher merely intends to spend a few chapters in the immediate aftermath of the shooting, before skipping a big chunk of time.

13. Ched

I followed the link and scrolled down the thread a bit where it had gotten around to talking about Butcher giving us info, etc. It led to someone being grateful that we will know what is going to happen immediately after the hero's demise, so we don't have to worry about the next book starting off with something like...

I lol'd.

14. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If true, i'm pretty happy about that.

15. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

I'm personally really happy that there will be no time skip. You get to see everyone's emotional reaction when it's still raw.

We get scenes like Murphy discovering the body, or not finding Harry at all. Not to mention seeing the Council's reaction to the entire Red Court disappearing overnight.

16. Innomine

High Score:
    Considering the fact that this series is written in first person, the likelihood of seeing those scenes is almost nil.

17. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Well, for Murphy, I figured since Harry would most likely be by his body as a Ghost, it would at least be plausible, and the Council one could possibly be mentioned at the end. Not a lot of hope, I admit, but those were just two scenes off the top of my head.

18. Ched

Unless one of the Changes was that in the book after all the Changes we get to see the Changes from the POV of someone else, which is in itself one of the Changes.

Ok, I'll admit it's unlikely. But it's possible. Or else Harry could be observing as a ghost while it's happening or later as it's recounted. Or something else.

19. Innomine

High Score:
    This idea to me, is like the idea that Dresden actually dies, and leaves the plot.

This is the Dresden Files, something that's remained that constant throughout the whole series, is not going to change. I just can't see it happening.

20. Ched

I think maybe you misunderstand what I was getting at, but more likely I wasn't clear. I was thinking more something like we had at the start of GoF -- one chapter or so with someone else narrating, then back to the main character for the duration.

It's unlikely, but I don't think it's completely off the wall.

I too think it's obvious that Harry is going to remain the primary protagonist whether he's dead or not.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010