1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Plot Hole, or I just missed something

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Vesvius, Jul 31, 2008.

1. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

The Abby thing bugs me, too, and honestly just doesn't make any sense. But someone had to get hurt, for the emotional impact, and everyone else in the room at the time had a part to play later.

We did discuss the Two Bobs and the timing around that, but the thread was in the Ghost Story spoiler sub-forum, and that has since been closed or deleted or something. I came to the same conclusion; Bob performed his amputation after the Darkhallow, and just explained it poorly.

And where is this thing about Fitz' heritage coming from? I hadn't heard that theory.

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Some people got it in their head that beacuse Fitz has gold eyes and is a new, likely important character, he's Tera and McFinn's kid. Personally, I think people are just so eager to find connections that they're blinding themselves to logic, but that doesn't stop people from saying it.

3. LittleChicago

Huh. Forgot about the gold eyes. More likely he has Wilson's disease.

4. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Isn't Abby's gift only sporadic though? I'm sure I remember times where it would happen fairly often and then other times she was just normal. I don't remember Harry ever saying her foresight is permanent, though I'm away from my books at University and haven't read White Night in a while.

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Jim let out a hint or two as well.

So, we've got a teenage boy with the skin of a Native American, red hair, golden eyes and a name that means Bastard. Timing is about right for it and the Loup-Garou curse was that "the cursed line of the family would never, ever die out, lasting until the end of days."

Do I need to point out why people would make the connection?

6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Could it be possible that Abby maneuvered herself so that she'd take a bullet meant for someone else? Or maybe that's stretching things.

I haven't read that part of Ghost Story in a while, maybe I'm forgetting something.

7. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

There's 2 problems with that though.

1) If Fitz was conceived during/shortly before the events of Fool Moon, he'd be like 10 years old. 12 tops.

According to the timeline on the JB forums, Fool Moon is October of 0 ASF, meaning he'd have been born June/July of 1 ASF, and Ghost Story is May of 12 ASF. Yet in Ghost Story he's described as being in his late teens. The timeline just doesn't fit. You could possibly make the argument that he was stashed somewhere where time flows differently, but then you'd have to explain why he had no idea of the supernatural before the book.

2) Where's Tera? Pack animals aren't exactly well known for leaving their offspring to fend for themselves, and as mentioned earlier in the thread, Tera's shown to be fairly motherly.

I'm fairly convinced that it's people drawing connections that they want to exist rather than have evidence for. We'll just have to wait for Butcher to chip in on it.

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Right -- it's not certain that Fitz is the son of Tera and MacFinn, but it is a good theory that I'd say has about a 50% chance of being true. Things align fairly well for it even if there are holes here and there.

At any rate it's the best explanation that people can come up with taking into account Jim's comment that the name was intentional (means Bastard) and characters that we are already familiar with.

I don't really care myself. Fitz can be their kid, he can be someone elses kid, he can be someone completely unrelated to everyone else so far... but I will be disappointed if his character doesn't have a point after this book -- he got a lot of screentime if his character wasn't being established for something else later.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    While it is more of an amusing side-note than anything else, it does mean that we may see the Loup-Garou in action again at some point. It would be nifty if Harry could point it at his enemies the next time.

10. LittleChicago

Wish I had a pet super-werewolf...

On a related note, Butters was meant to be a one-off character, so who knows what might happen?

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Good point, about Butters.

12. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter