1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pre- / Next Generation Fanfics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by masterpeng, Dec 27, 2017.

1. masterpeng

masterpeng First Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hey guys and girls,
    I'm looking for decent pre- (or marauder's era as some would call it) or next generation fanfics. I've read tons of HP fanfiction in the past few years, mostly focusing on Harry and his friends as well as some crossovers thanks to the DLP library, but I am feeling a slight burnout recently, so I'm simply looking for some preferably light-hearted stories of Harry's parents or his kids at Hogwarts. After reading through a lot of summaries about broken time travel and getting a headache due to the stupidity of some plots, I have decided to just ask here :D

Anyway, I have read https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5200789/1/The-Life-and-Times and https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1541401/1/Priori-Incantatem and a couple of stories mainly focusing on the marauder's mischief at Hogwarts. Regarding next generation, https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7470247/1/Game-On was quite decent, although the extreme dedication to quidditch sometimes irritated me. Nevertheless the story contained some really nice banter. If some of you could point me to stories like those listed above, I'd appreciate it a lot. :)

2. raobuntu

raobuntu Seventh Year

High Score:
    There's an author Gryffin_duck that has a decent Albus Potter series, and they're currently writing the seventh one. Here's the first.

Slide's another great author with a next generation series. It is darker, and has a far more serious plot than the one above. But, Slide is a published author, and the stories are quite interesting. I saw Ignite up for review before, and I think it's in the almost recommended.

3. theimmortalhp

theimmortalhp Third Year

If you want something light-hearted and romantic with a slight dash of darkness in the background, I'd recommend Our Little Secret by Kerichi which is a next-gen Rose/Scorpius fic. It's pretty well written iirc and gives the characters actual personalities instead of making them dumb copies of their parents or having their only personality trait be love of "pranks" like most next-gen fics.

It's technically a trilogy, but the fic works really well on its own, and there's a few surrounding one-shots (e.g. Mastermind vs LaVeela which is about Dennis Creevey and Gabrielle Delacour).

4. Stan

Stan Order Member

For next-gen, there's the well-known Hogwarts Houses Divided. Teddy's first year at Hogwarts, focusing on inter-house friendship and goblin rebellions. Etc Etc — and Life Goes On is one of my favourites - a rare well-executed romance-satire, starring an amoral and ruthless protagonist who runs the Hogwarts newspaper. I really enjoyed Lessons Learned and its sequel, but would only recommend it if you can don't mind an entire cast of unlikable characters, because pretty much everyone here (bar Scorpius) is a self-absorbed dickhead. But then, you're looking for Marauder stories as well, so you can hardly complain about unlikable characters, and the characters here do grow up eventually.

All These Complications is my favourite Marauders era story. AU in which Regulus goes to his brother with info on the Horcruxes. Characterises a bunch of characters (Marauders, Regulus, Marlene, Dorcas) really well and gives them their own character arcs. It's not Hogwarts era though (most stories I've read of this era are either post-Hogwarts or Snape-centric). Fantasies about Lily is a James/Lily and Sirius/Lily smutty oneshot, and if you read slash, then Chickenis a lighthearted short fic about Sirius and Remus getting together. 73 Aberdeen is an excellent Sirius/Remus in which Sirius was sorted into Slytherin, but it's the opposite of light-hearted, so YMMV.