1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Preacher

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Shinysavage, May 23, 2016.

1. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

I do have to say I am worried about how an American channel is going to treat the insanely anti-religious material on the comic, specially God. Ennis vitriol makes Pullman’s look like an affectionate criticism.

2. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Alright, new user here. Hopefully I don't mess up too badly.

Well, I'm gonna start off by saying I haven't read the comics. I was always into the more mainstream stuff but just like I did with Lucifer and Constantine, I'll probably pick up a coupel copies once the season is done.

As for the show itself, it's quite good so far. Not the best opening episodes in a series but by far not the worst.

My main problem with it is the amount of setup that there seems to be. Yes, that's always well and good but they need to mix the setup with some progression as well.

Another issue I have is how late Jesse got his power in the first episode. Like I said, I ahvent read the comics but I'm assuming that's one of the main selling points. Added onto that, he only use it once in the second episode. I don't want this to be a Flash clone or anything, but I would like to see him using it a couple more times in Episode 3.

As for the characters:

Jesse's scenes are always great to watch. I don't know hsi backstory but he comes off as likeable enough. Maybe just develop his character slightly more which I'm guessing they're going to do in the coming episodes. Despite being the titular character, there's not really much else I can say on him.

Cassidy easily steals the show. Every scene with him is a pleasure to watch. It may be too early to say this but just based on these two episodes I'm hoping they give him his own show at some point but at the same time I don't want him to leave Preacher. Unlike Jesse, I don't think we need any backstory for him (At least for now). I would however like his vampire status revealed to Jesse at some point in the next few episodes and Jesse's power revealed to him.

Tulip...Here comes the hard one. Her opening scene was good enough but just seemed like a rehash of Cassidy's. To me, it seems that Preacher is suffering from what a few other shows are suffering from at the moment: making their female lead dislikeable. I can see from the other posts on this thread that most of youseem to enjoy her character but she comes off as extremely annoying. I am honestly tured of the whole "Can't change who you are" thing that seems to be going on. And really, I would love it if she has less screen time. I mean, the acting is good, I just think that the lines she's been given just make her an annoyance. And, I'm not sure if this was intentional, but what's up with those teeth?

All in all, I'll be watching at least the whole season and would rate the series a tentative 4/5 but this rating is mostly because of Cassidy.

3. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Jessie very rarely uses his powers in the comics, with a notable exception during a short time where he used it quite often, it was after the first chapters but before the middle if I am not mistaken.

A huge part of Preacher is about people’s true nature, fake first impression and the need to change and improve as a person regardless of what the world expects or what happened to you.

Cassidy is... complicated. I honestly hope that they don't try to make a Tyrion Lannister out of him.

4. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, perhaps if you're a typical religious idiot. Ennis' blasphemy is adorable, and I enjoyed reading about his douchebag version of god. But yeah, I guess I'm not typical that way, but I don't see how they can keep the story at all accurate without that characterization.

5. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

His blasphemy in Wormwood? Hilarious and pretty amusing. His in Preacher? Eh, unecessary preachy, and pathetic. Cheap psychology and all that.

6. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well now you've intrigued me; I haven't read that one.

7. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Its Ennis dropping his "preachy", kek, side and just going for something fun, its crazy and unapologetic so, and unlike some parts of Preacher or The Boyz it doesn't take itself seriously. Its short, 4 issues or so, thus even more enjoyable. I highly rec if you are an ennis fan.

8. junkseer2

junkseer2 First Year

High Score:
    Been a fan of Cooper since his double role in Devil's Double, glad to see him on screen again. Enjoyed the first episodes, lots of gory fun. Cassidy with a hell of a comic relief every episode. Haven't read the comics so no opinion on that, but i do feel like i'll follow the show for a good long while if the quality keeps up.

---------- Post automerged 13-06-2016 at 14:47 ---------- Previous post was 12-06-2016 at 18:30 ----------

Just watched the 3rd ep. Very impressed with it on the whole. Liked the talk between the Angels and Cassidy, and the almost-but-not-quite fight with Donny, felt very real despite the whole fantasy aspect. One small issue i had - loss of immersion from them switching Donny's hands mid-scene in the toilet, especially after putting so muh emphasis on them during the ep. "Right-hand man without a right hand" was a nice line, but when they switched to him suddenly having a broken left hand when shown in the mirror then back to broken right hand when Jesse turned, it got very noticeable and a bit annoying. The Tulip line feels a bit lacklustre at the moment, hoping to see more development there in the comng eps.

9. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I kinda felt the third episode was coasting along a little - it was good, but it didn't grip me the way the last two did, aside from the scenes dealing with Jesse's use of the Word, which were uniformly brilliant.

Also, Herr Starr!

10. Agent

High Score:
    Tulip is still annoying to me. But so is Jesse's constant mind changing. The scen with him using his power's on Cassidy was quite funny and extremely enjoyable.

I don't really understand why the Sheriff said that little anecdote about those two kids being kidnapped but I feel like it might come into play later.

11. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

New episode out. I dont know, it feels like we're still waiting for things to kick off here.

As usual Cassidy is barrels of fun, his scene with the angels and then with Tulip were great. Jesse has now made a move with his actions toward Quincannon so I kind of want to see where that goes. Quincannon is a pretty funny character too.

So far its been so slow. I'm wondering if its ever gonna be as explosive as it could be.

12. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I'm feeling the drain on this one a bit. It sucks, because I really, really want to like this show. It just feels like nothing's really happening. There's a constant feeling of "Okay, we're about to take off, let's get this shit going," but then nothing.

13. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Well of course they are going to sit around doing fuck all. It's a AMC TV show based on a comic book...

14. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I was hoping for something a bit faster, especially since it's a 10 episode season. I would give this a 3/5 so far. Acting a is good, setting is great, vampire is hilarious, angels are interesting but NOTHING fucking happens. Especially for being almost half way through the season.

There is a lot of setup happening though, creepy old dude who likes watching snuff just got converted to serve God. Maybe something big will happen next episode?

15. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't suppose those who have read the comics have any insight into where the show is going? Will something, you know.. happen soon?

16. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

The Preacher initial stages are mostly character pieces with some action interwoven, then comes thr Family Arc which is the WHAM episode and is basically thr first step towards the resolution of thr myth arc. Then we have a marathon of shit after shit happening, a weird as fuck break, Jesse’s Arc that ties in with the final arc, which is another huge marathon.

17. Shinysavage

High Score:
    There's very little resemblance in terms of the plot so far between the comics and the series. Quincannon doesn't show up until the seventh volume, Annville gets blown to shit along with its entire population in the first issue, and the flashbacks with Custer senior are a really big change.

However, given the events of the last five minutes of the episode...I'm predicting big things happening in the next couple of episodes.

I'd guess that Jesse's use of Genesis has now reached Heaven, and they're going to be more proactive and aggressive about getting it back - which in the comics involved turning loose the Saint of Killers on him.

Thought Cooper's performance in his sermon was the best he's been all series.

18. Agent

High Score:
    For fans of the comics: I know it won't come into play, but does Preacher take place in the same universe as the rest of the DC characters? Heck, for that matter, does Lucifer?

19. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Probably not. It's a Vertigo comic, and I think they take things on a case by case basis. Lucifer was spun off (I believe) from Sandman, which does exist in the regular DC universe - there are early issues featuring the JLA, Arkham Asylum, John Constantine - but I'm not that familiar with the comics or the show.

20. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Lucifer would interact pretty damn well with Preacher though huh...

Probably never gonna happen but it would be cool.